Thread: Ground Wire Broke

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ground Wire Broke

I recently noticed that this ground wire was broke. Any tips or suggestions? How critical of a part is it? Should I just get a new terminal or replace the whole wire? 2015 ES 5-speed, 65,000 miles/ It is attached to the top engine mount on the passenger side.Name:  20200610_134035.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  97.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    If you can crimp a new terminal on the end of the existing wire, that should be OK.

Whatever you do, don't ignore it. Broken ground wires can cause some of the strangest electrical problems you've ever seen and will have you pulling your hair out trying to diagnose something 6 months from now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have noticed the Key Warning dash light has been coming on for seemingly no reason. We'll see if the ground had anything to do with it.

I see those broken fairly often. I used to fix them right away but it's just a redundant ground strap. The ground cable goes from the battery to the transmission case and to the inner frame rail. These cars have finicky wiring but that shouldn't and from what I've seen that ground wire in the picture doesn't cause any issues. But that's about the only janky thing you can let go, unless the ground on the opposite side breaks then you'll see things that blow your mind lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-10-2020)