Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why no push rod engine?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Exactly. Along with FCA, Mercedes, and Audi are also dealing with cheating diesel emissions. Mitsubishi in Germany was also raided for possible diesel emission cheating. 'Clean Diesel?' Nah.

(blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Diesel emission standards in USA aren't as strict as in Europe, where they go beyond what is possible mechanically. Turns out most diesel engines are almost, or in some cases are more environmental friendly than gasoline engines....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Diesel emission standards in USA aren't as strict as in Europe, where they go beyond what is possible mechanically. Turns out most diesel engines are almost, or in some cases are more environmental friendly than gasoline engines....
    You mean like this?

https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-24-...el-europe.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I'm with you, but I don't think a pushrod engine would be as efficient. More reliable and cheaper though.

Years ago a friend bought(financed for 7 years lol) a new 2014 ecoboost f150. We both took a trip together(300km). I was in my 99 F350 with a schoolbus cummins swap and 38" tires. We both filled up before and after. Did the same speed 70-80mph. Mine took considerably less fuel when we were done. Attachment 18299 It was pretty funny. That F150 still isn't paid off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Diesel emission standards in USA aren't as strict as in Europe...
    It's actually the other way around. European diesel emission standards aren't as tight...that's why Europe is full of diesel-powered passenger cars and the US isn't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    It's actually the other way around. European diesel emission standards aren't as tight...that's why Europe is full of diesel-powered passenger cars and the US isn't.
    I would have to disagree. Europeans are wiser in their choice of cars. They prefer to keep them for longer than USA. And diesels on average last twice as long as gasoline cars.
    There was a time when diesels were the devil, and people owning diesels were taxed more. But now it's the other way around. They're more environmentally friendly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would have to disagree. Europeans are wiser in their choice of cars. They prefer to keep them for longer than USA. And diesels on average last twice as long as gasoline cars.
    There was a time when diesels were the devil, and people owning diesels were taxed more. But now it's the other way around. They're more environmentally friendly.
    No. Do some research. Yes, they've become cleaner, with the use of particulate filters and urea mixtures, which cost extra. Also maintenance is higher. However, diesel still isn't cleaner as a whole. CO may be less, but NO and Particulates are way higher than gas. Also, Euro 5 is similar to US standard, while Euro 6 is much stricter. So no, they don't have less standards than us.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Then why is this happening in Europe?

Mitsubishi: Ending diesel production by the end of 2021

Toyota: Ending diesel production

Honda: Ending diesel production

Nissan: Ending diesel production

Alfa Romeo: Ending diesel production

Fiat: Ending diesel production

Maserati: Ending diesel production

Porsche: Ending diesel production

Suzuki: Ending diesel production

Volvo: Ending diesel production

VW: Ending diesel production by 2026

If diesel is cleaner than a gasoline engine then why are all these car manufacturers quitting making them? The simple answer is it isn't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    See the above post. Pollution control is always getting stricter and stricter.
    That and Europe's push for electric cars, to reduce pollution in cities.

What worked in favor of diesel is that a car can be equipped with a smaller engine than a gasoline equivalent, and have similar performance. Also diesel mpg is a lot higher, though lately gasoline MPG has come very close to diesel.

And the catalytic converter is taking care of nox emissions. Nox emissions aren't the problem. Sooth is, which is just a byproduct of much cheaper and rougher gasoline. Because that's what diesel is. Cheaper, heavier byproduct of crude oil, than gasoline is, often with more impurities resulting in more sooth.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The truth about pushrod technology is that it isn't nearly as efficient or powerful as ohc tech. This is why GM and Mopar pushrod engines need 6+ litres to make the same power as the the Ford Coyote V8. And as far as diesel performance, diesels are more expensive to buy and maintain, most parts cost a fortune, and they are a lot more finicky with maintenance. Oh they're also slow AF.

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed