Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mirage News from Mitsubishi

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

2021 Mirage News from Mitsubishi

For what it's worth, I reached out to Mitsubishi Motors North Amercia's PR team about '21 Mirage info. They replied saying they're putting a briefing together that should be out soon. While I don't know what that means, we should hear something about the car's future in the next couple of weeks (if that long). Stay tuned.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-15-2020),MetroMPG (06-17-2020),Top_Fuel (06-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm absolutely excited to see if we get the redesign. However, with all of the tech they've been talking about installing (lane departure etc) I can't see the price staying low. I guess we will see

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    In January they were telling us that the 2021 Mirage would be a "late summer" release in North America...

More 2021 info in this post from January.

Don't forget the new interior pattern coming...

Name:  plaid.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  78.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought mine new in September and I'm actually looking to buy a restyle for a daily driver once my current one is paid off. my girlfriend currently has a 97 MPV with a third row in 4-wheel drive that runs really well so we are going to keep that for road trips. My current mirage is going to go into work horse mode as I'm only going to use it for Lyft and doordash as soon as it's paid for, in which case we will need another daily driver hence buying another mirage. I really cannot wait to look at them when they come to showrooms.
    Last edited by MCMfan92; 06-30-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMfan92 View Post
    I bought mine new in September and I'm actually looking to buy a restyle for a daily driver once my current one is paid off. my girlfriend currently has a 97 MPV with a third row in 4-wheel drive that runs really well so we are going to keep that for road trips. My current mirage is going to go into work horse known as I'm only going to use it for Lyft and doordash as soon as it's paid for, in which case we will need another daily driver hands buying another mirage. I really cannot wait to look at them when they come to showrooms.
    The redesign is basically the same car with a different front end look. I wouldn't even consider it much of an update. Since I like the Mirage as is, I don't mind that.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/...irage/interior

The only thing that would interest me is a more basic 5-speed manual model that had a much lower MSRP than the existing Mirage. A 2020 CVT base model Mirage is only $1,501 less than base model Honda Fit with 128 hp. In my opinion, that doesn't seem right to me? I realize Mirages are discounted more, but it makes it a shopping nightmare for some.

The Mirage should be marketed as the most affordable vehicle in North America, but that message gets lost by its pricing. It's why professional car reviewers say what they do. If $1,500 more buys you a Honda Fit, why would you buy a Mirage? They miss the point that some are buying these cars under 70% MSRP new.

The Mirage could be marketed much better than it is. In all honesty, the Alliance may hurt Mitsubishi's future in North America. Nissan is not going anywhere else, but Mitsubishi could easily leave North America. A hurting Alliance will need to make cuts somewhere. Just saying!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Exciting!

I like the looks of the 2nd refresh, if the price isn't crazy high compared to what it is now, might be tempting to see how much they'd give me for a trade in on one.

I really miss keyless entry & power locks.

For Canada, it's actually less bad news for Mitsu, as the only small cars sold here now are the Honda Fit, Spark and the "Toyota Yaris" (a re-badged Mazda 2).

It's biggest competitor was the now discontinued Micra.

So really it's just a choice between the Spark (10k) and the Mirage (12k) when it comes to price.

Unless Mitsu pushes the price up with all the new tech... then it will be going against the Yaris (17k) & Fit (16.5k).
    Last edited by javensbukan; 06-16-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I absolutely do not disagree with you that a hurting alliance is going to have to cut ties somewhere. I think that it should absolutely be marketed as the lowest cost new car in America.

I think where the mirage really shines is not only fuel economy but warranty.

I would like to hear your opinion as to what would make these a more successful sell in the US market.
    Last edited by MCMfan92; 06-30-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMfan92 View Post
    I would like to hear your opinion as to what would make these a more successful sell in the US market.
    Gas prices go up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-17-2020),Top_Fuel (06-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the way things are heading right now I don't see that being out of the realm of possibility in the somewhat near future.

If I was to change the mirage I would make a sport trim that had a traditional automatic or six-speed, and a tuned turbocharged version of the motor with some kind of sports suspension and maybe find success in the hot hatch market or sports compact market.

I understand that's not the point of the mirage at all but if you're trying to embrace a wider audience.....

The Yaris is coming with all-wheel drive and a turbo powertrain and I don't feel like the mirage is that far off from Yaris so why doesn't Mitsubishi throw some competition that way and create a sports compact?
    Last edited by MCMfan92; 06-30-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks for poking the beast, Andy.

Subscribed for further news.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)