Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, I did it again! Bought another cheap Mirage "beater".

Using a block heater on a Mirage in the winter makes a night and day difference in cold starts. As far as economy goes, it should help get engine up to temp slightly quicker.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You keep earplugs in your Metro too?
    Yes but not usually. Growing up on a busy street gives one a certain tolerance to exhaust noise.
    But when your exhaust looks like this earplugs are mandatory! 71 db in cabin just at idle.

Block heater: the benefit depends on how powerful it is.
    Thanks for the graph, if a mere half hour can net a summer like start it would certainly be worthwhile.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-21-2020)

^ Yikes!

---

I tried the block heater yesterday... in 30C / 86F weather.

After 45 minutes of pre-heating, the "cold engine" light went out after driving 2 blocks. That happens at 137 degrees F.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Yes but not usually. Growing up on a busy street gives one a certain tolerance to exhaust noise.
    But when your exhaust looks like this earplugs are mandatory! 71 db in cabin just at idle.

Thanks for the graph, if a mere half hour can net a summer like start it would certainly be worthwhile.
    Cool, a 3 cylinder manifold, there is something you don't see every day. Where's the Chef Boyardee can??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You keep earplugs in your Metro too?
    I keep earplugs in all of my cars. I travel a LOT for work, and I can't stress to people enough how much stress and strain earplugs take away after a long road trip. Takes all that white noise and just makes it so much more pleasant. That said, my dad worked in heavy equipment, so he has had earplugs in our ears since we were little for mowing or riding 4 wheelers, whatever, so I am admittedly a bit more used to it. But you wont catch me saying "Huh?"
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-22-2020),MetroMPG (06-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I keep earplugs in all of my cars. I travel a LOT for work, and I can't stress to people enough how much stress and strain earplugs take away after a long road trip. Takes all that white noise and just makes it so much more pleasant. That said, my dad worked in heavy equipment, so he has had earplugs in our ears since we were little for mowing or riding 4 wheelers, whatever, so I am admittedly a bit more used to it. But you wont catch me saying "Huh?"
    I drive heavy equipment every day, so I wear ear plugs.. I think it's kinda dangerous to wear ear plugs driving in normal streets. Sometimes you hear the kid before they dart in front of the road...

Maybe on the freeway, but there is a reason it's illegal to wear your ipod ear buds driving. You're suppose to hear the ambulance.

Sorry

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I drive heavy equipment every day, so I wear ear plugs.. I think it's kinda dangerous to wear ear plugs driving in normal streets. Sometimes you hear the kid before they dart in front of the road...

Maybe on the freeway, but there is a reason it's illegal to wear your ipod ear buds driving. You're suppose to hear the ambulance.

Sorry
    Yeah I am just talking about on the Interstate. Not in town.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Takes all that white noise and just makes it so much more pleasant.
    I'm offended!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

brake & floor mat update!

Front brakes are OK!

I was honestly expecting the brake rotors and maybe the calipers to be trashed (rusted) after sitting for almost a year outside, un-used, at the car dealership. The outer rotor rim was definitely crusty, but I went at them with a file & wire wheel and they cleaned up reasonably well. Lots of meat left on the pads, and the calipers & slidey pins are good too.

So, that means this is the worst thing wrong with the car:

Name:  floor-mat.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  100.8 KB

Driver's side floor mat is trashed! Left heel hole? I've never seen that before. Neither has Mitsubishi, or they would have extended the heavy-duty portion a bit farther to the left!
    The thin mouse fur carpet is worn off the dead pedal, too.

Fortunately, unlike Mirage #1, the mats, carpets & seats in the other 3 seating positions are in near mint condition.

Where can I get a used OEM floor mat? I'll have to check junk yards... unfortunately, the closest one that has a Mirage on hand is a 3 hour round trip away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Name:  floor-mat.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  100.8 KB

Where can I get a used OEM floor mat? I'll have to check junk yards... unfortunately, the closest one that has a Mirage on hand is a 3 hour round trip away.
    Those of us that have bought WeatherTech floor mats probably have OEM floor mats laying around. I would start a new thread & see if anyone closer to home responds first. Just a suggestion.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-23-2020)