Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I did it again! Bought another cheap Mirage "beater".

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't own an impact gun, so I guess I gotta get the neighbourhood mechanic to break them loose for me with some heat & impact.
    The neighbourhood mechanic tried his impact wrench on the nuts yesterday afternoon and only managed to get 2/5 free. (That's after 4 days of me soaking them with penetrating oil.) The other 3 attempts spun the bolt, which means the tab on the bolt inside the frame rail either bent or broke off inside. He's gonna torch them off next week.

Yay, rust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13 months later... BUH-BYE!

Well, Mirage #3, the Even Fancier Metro, is about to be kicked to the curb!

Tying this thread to my latest Mirage adventure: I'm selling it because I finally found - and bought - a cheap, base model Mirage. Rear seat passengers, prepare to crank your own freakin' windows!

So in the last week, I've been tinkering away, transferring the multiple eco-mods from this Mirage to Mirage #3, and getting this one ready to sell.

Mechanically, all it needs is brakes - I just ordered front pads & rotors. Both had plenty of meat left on them, but typical for cars that sit for any amount of time in this part of the world, rust on the rotors had spread into the the braking surface, making a mess of things. Too much for my wire wheel hurricane machine to fix (I tried!). And nobody machines rotors anymore.

This evening I pulled the rear drums and - surprise, surprise - the rear shoes are fine! (My other 2 Mirages needed rear brakes.) I had a sneaking suspicion they might have already been changed when I didn't have to JUMP on my breaker bar extension to get the axle nut off! Whoever put the nut back on didn't read the torque spec.

So once I get the front brakes on, I'll take it to my mechanic to have the provincial mechanical inspection done, which will make it a lot easier to sell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Aim for the sky!

Well, the car is all spit & polished, and I posted the ad last night.

Asking $4400 certified, "firm price". Average wholesale value in Ontario is supposedly $4700 and retail is $5500.

Mine's got above average kms for the year and it's a stick, and an above average number of minor scuffs and scrapes. We'll see what happens.

Beauty shots...

(I always shoot ad photos at my parents' place - much nicer looking neighbourhood than mine! )

Name:  lf-s.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  rr-s.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  int-lf-s.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  int-lr-s.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  winter-tires-s.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  99.5 KB

I've had 3 inquiries so far: one lowball offer ($2k - ha) and another person wants to look at it tomorrow.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-23-2021),dspace9 (07-23-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Car looks brand new! Side profile is the best view. And the purple seats. I like that Mirages are unabashedly their own cup of tea. I think that goes for Mitsubishis generally

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...3 inquiries so far: one lowball offer ($2k - ha)...
    Good luck. I hate dealing with the general public when I'm selling something!

Name:  howlow.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  69.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-25-2021),MetroMPG (07-23-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Good luck. I hate dealing with the general public when I'm selling something!
    I want to put a FREE sign on my old BBQ, put it out on the curb, but the main reason I haven't bothered to yet is having to deal with the general public, even when Im giving something away. Too many close talkers and hand talkers. Make social distancing permanent, in my opinion

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Sold! Pending provincial safety inspection, which will be no problem.

Young guy came with his folks to look at it - specifically wanted a manual transmission. That's a rare youth these days. Good for him. This will be his first car.

Also, he was very pleased with the numbers on the fuel economy display after paying for gas after using his dad's pickup recently.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-25-2021),Top_Fuel (07-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

Young guy came with his folks to look at it - specifically wanted a manual transmission. That's a rare youth these days. Good for him. This will be his first car.

Also, he was very pleased with the numbers on the fuel economy display after paying for gas after using his dad's pickup recently.
    Has this new Mirage owner been made aware of the forum?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

You must come across as an honest dude, because you sell your Mirages quite easily. I think presenting a clean car goes a long way. Do you meet them at your parents' house, too?

I wouldn't mention the forum until you have your full payment. Otherwise, the young guy will discover you took his alloy wheels!

I would, however, mention the purchase of the car does include a free membership to the Mirage forum! He'll be impressed initially, but not so much later on when he discovers it's free for anyone.

The cheap factory wheel covers didn't cost you a sell at least! Congrats on the quick sell!

Well, he is getting a nearly new set of tires as compensation for the hubcaps! The Michelins on the alloys are pretty much toast... legal, but barely. And one of them makes a wub-wub-wub noise (broken belt, I think).

Really, it was an easy car to sell - nothing wrong with it, new front brakes, and it did tidy up very nicely (wasn't too messy to begin with).

And yes, I almost always meet the tire-kickers at my folks' place. It's actually just a couple of blocks from mine, but it's a much nicer street. Location, location, location.