Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, I did it again! Bought another cheap Mirage "beater".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm jealous. At the rate my driver's mat is fraying, it might disappear by spring!
    After purchasing WeatherTech floor mats for the front, I don't think that I will ever go back to carpeted floor mats ever again. They are somewhat expensive. If you keep a vehicle for a long time, I feel they are worth it. If you like switching vehicles every few years, they may not be worth investment, however.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-26-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    After purchasing WeatherTech floor mats for the front, I don't think that I will ever go back to carpeted floor mats ever again. They are somewhat expensive. If you keep a vehicle for a long time, I feel they are worth it. If you like switching vehicles every few years, they may not be worth investment, however.
    I have had my Mirage 6.5 years now, so I should have bought WeatherTech's back in 2014. Oh well. Live and learn. I also thought of going naked and have no mats lol. Not sure if that's a good idea. Idea number 3 is using the passenger mats.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have had my Mirage 6.5 years now, so I should have bought WeatherTech's back in 2014. Oh well. Live and learn. I also thought of going naked and have no mats lol. Not sure if that's a good idea. Idea number 3 is using the passenger mats.
    I don't know about that? I bought a set for Mirage & Forester at the same time. For the Mirage, it's keeping the carpets like new. Vacuum/cleaning time is cut by 1/3. For my Forester, I had worn a hole in the carpet above the carpeted floor mats, & it looked like crap. Adding the WeatherTech mats covered that spot up & made it look like a new vehicle again. In hindsight, starting with them sooner rather than later is probably best. I only say that for people who like to hang on to their cars.

I took your advice on something else, however. I had my Mirage rustproofed (oil sprayed) earlier today. I had to drive to Madison, & I waited about 3 hours for my car. It's not Krowns, because they are not in Wisconsin. I tried to find something similar. It was a bit expensive, but they have great reviews. Once done, annual checkups are much cheaper ($20-80/year) depending on your need.

I am giving this a try. I like my Mirage enough to make it last. I feel the 5-speed manual powertrain may outlive the body otherwise. I don't rack up the miles as fast as someone like Steve & his 300,000+ mile Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-26-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Good move, Mark! Anti-rust treatments are like good floor mats: they make sense if you're keeping the car a long time. I'm not sold on doing it every year though. I tell people do 2 years in a row to start, then every other.

There was a used F/R set of weathertechs for a Mirage for sale in Ottawa last week for $50. That's the cheapest I've seen (~$100 is more typical).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I have a set of virtually brand new set of front floor mats from my Outlander Sport that I'll send ya for the postage if you PM me your address.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Good move, Mark! Anti-rust treatments are like good floor mats: they make sense if you're keeping the car a long time. I'm not sold on doing it every year though. I tell people do 2 years in a row to start, then every other.

There was a used F/R set of weathertechs for a Mirage for sale in Ottawa last week for $50. That's the cheapest I've seen (~$100 is more typical).
    I was thinking every other year myself for the rust treatment checks/updates, too. Partly because it's a bit of a drive to have it done.

A used set of WeatherTech mats would be a good find. I didn't bother with the rear mats. I seldom have rear seat passengers. Most of the time my rear seats are down, & I have a large rubber mat for the rear cargo area of my former 1st generation Honda CRV covering them. The backs of rear seats could tear quite easily, & this seems to protect them some. Plus, the larger rear cargo mat has a good size lip on the edge. Anything that helps when hauling gas cans, bags of water softener salt, or whatever.

I haven't hauled any dead deer in the back of my Mirage like the old days of my 1990 Ford Festiva! That was prior to the days owning more toys (UTV, ATV, & trailers). Mirage has a much easier more plush life! It's way too classy for that!

It's way too classy for that!
    Yeah, I agree. Don't mess up the inside... strap it across the hood!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

On the road again... soon!

The Even Fancier Metro is going back on the road this weekend!

Summer's over - the turdbucket Miata is going back into hibernation.

I love driving both of these cars for very different reasons.

What took so long? We've had snow out here for weeks now! I live here so I can have something to complain about year round.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4000+ km later: I like Mirage #2 better

Well, as of this week, I've driven Mirage #2 farther than I drove Mirage #1:

Thread: Fancy Metro (Mirage #1) :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (Garage entry)

4081 km vs. 4039 km.

I have to say, Mirage #2 is my favourite Mirage so far. The main difference between them (aside from colour) is the clutch feel. #2 is more pleasant to drive -- the friction point seems easier to modulate. It's as if the friction zone is thicker, and the first Mirage's was thinner. Know what I mean?

Maybe the clutch in the first Mirage was wearing out? I dunno.

I have seen it driving around town a couple of times this winter.