Thread: Volume knob with a mind of its own

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Volume knob with a mind of its own

My volume knob for my Mirage's stereo has been acting weird. I'll turn the dial counter-clockwise, and instead of the volume going down, the volume goes up! I thought I was imagining things, but I have seen my stereo do this a few times now.

I do wanna emphasize that 3/4 of the time, the stereo works normal. Real weird though. Anyway, not sure what this is all about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah that's weird. I'd assume the knob directly controls a adjustable resistor or some digital equivalent. Only idea I have is if it was geared up or down physically you have some piece of debris in the radio occasionally falling into place and acting as an idler gear.

If it was always backwards it could be incorrect soldering or corrupt firmware but that couldn't be intermittent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-19-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Yeah that's weird. I'd assume the knob directly controls a adjustable resistor or some digital equivalent. Only idea I have is if it was geared up or down physically you have some piece of debris in the radio occasionally falling into place and acting as an idler gear.

If it was always backwards it could be incorrect soldering or corrupt firmware but that couldn't be intermittent.
    I'll check for debris, I have to wipe down my interior plastic parts anyway since I got my Mirage oil sprayed earlier. I don't feel any resistence when I'm dialing the knob. I feel like I had a joystick on my old Atari that glitched out like this. Also, dunno how but maybe the Mp3's I downloaded recently.. like the recording could affect this? I don't think so, but who knows.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Maybe you have loose brake lines. If not then it has to be the only problem these cars ever have. Corroded kick panel connector. There's really nothing else it could be.

Or like you said, could be weird glitchy mp3 files? Or maybe there's a pile of dust in there, could try to remove it and blow it out air, Maybe you're singing too moistly?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think the dial might be on its way out. Well-used stereo in my Mirage, I have noticed the radio preset buttons are all finger-print faded now, no longer piano black. Some other stuff has stayed shiny but nothing lasts forever. I might pop in one of those CD player-with-touchscreens but I won't bother installing a backup camera.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Get some deoxit, pull the knob off the radio, spray into the rotary encoder, and then turn it a bunch to clean it. Should work again. Have that happen to older Chrysler radios ALL the time.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...