Thread: Salvaging a warped 3D Printed mail slot block from Daox

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Salvaging a warped 3D Printed mail slot block from Daox

So as I learned last year this happens since PLA can get close to it's melting point in bright sun on a hot day. I had this idea last October but my Mirage was in storage until a month ago and only got to it now.

Uhh, what a waste, turn lemons into lemonade time I had attempted to cook them flat in my black car with middling success on a hot day last August explaining the difference in appearance.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  68.5 KB
    First put your warped pieces briefly back on your Mirage to be sure of their orientation. I wrote P, M, and D on them to indicate position later.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  36.4 KB
    I cut a 25.5*1.5"(648x38mm) coruplast piece to shape. Make sure the ribs run end to end for strength.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  77.2 KB
    I had a feeling a sharp impact would break it cleanly. So get a hammer and chisel(or sacrificial flat blade screwdriver) and cut them down to size.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  45.1 KB
    See where this is going. Paper is much easier than coruplast to form and recyclable

Why are the upload sizes for files stuck in 1997 with a little 330 kb jpg more than triple the allowed jpg size?
    Change the file extension of the .pdf attached to this post to .jpg print it at 100% and 300 dpi and you won't have to iterate to the form by trial and error

Next trace it onto your coruplast, flip it 180 and trace the other half. Then cut coruplast to size.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  44.3 KB
    Test fit, mark the coruplast where the clips line up. Will come in handy in the next step. Remove the clips and stick two pieces of duck tape to the back of each of the salvaged clips. Then put the back on the car, then carefully install the coruplast and tightly tape it down as you fight not to have a duck tape mess.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  76.5 KB
    Remove newly created assembly from car wrap over duck tape with another layer so the seam is on the back this time. Then put a continuous strip of duck tape over the front. I chose white duck tape in the hope it'll stay cooler in the sun and save the PLA from further warping.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  95.2 KB
    Before and After. If this nets a tenth an MPG and doesn't fall off I'll call it a sucessful mod of a mod!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I like it - nice work.

Thanks for taking the time to share it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Nice job.
    That hammer handle though

Attachment 18353

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (09-11-2020),MetroMPG (06-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That hammer handle though
    Would that work better if the hammer head was mounted facing the other direction?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)