Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulse center brake light - aftermarket / ETACS discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Our mirages came from white bear and have no pulse feature added although I do recall a lot of the cars on the lot having the sticker in the window.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's good to know some of you are really hung up on this.
    Okay, so maybe I'm not properly explaining myself on this. Again, it's one of the pitfalls of short replies on a smartphone. Please accept my apologies.

It's not only a matter of cost but of understanding how the function is implemented. Refer to this post in the Explanation ETACS coding list programming thread:

Quote Originally Posted by attrage 2020 View Post
    Emergency Stop Signal (emergency braking alarm)

Option:
    ESS by turn lamp -> present.
    When the function is activated, all direction indicators flash, as well as the direction indicator icons on the instrument panel. The function works under the following conditions:
    car speed 55 km / h and higher;
    The brake pedal is depressed and the ABS system has been activated.
    I think it is an interesting concept that probably ought to have a thread on its own. It is interesting to me that a dealership is selling an emergency stop/braking signal to other drivers (which I see as a good idea) and am interested in how it is implemented. The cost is a secondary concern.

So Mark I'm getting the impression you don't know how this is configured in your Mirage and you don't really care. That's cool. Maybe someone else can tell me if the Pulse system uses some piece of hardware or if it is simply enabling the feature in ETACS. That ought to save you from further concern on the point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maybe someone else can tell me if the Pulse system uses some piece of hardware or if it is simply enabling the feature in ETACS.
    Call this number & ask

651-204-4749 (White Bear Mitsubishi Service Department)

Let us know what you find out?

I called them a couple times in the past with questions. When they pick up the phone, their first response has been - "Mark, how can we help you today?"

That alone freaks me out!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...tell me if the Pulse system uses some piece of hardware or if it is simply enabling the feature in ETACS.
    PULSE is a trademarked product. The PULSE device is wired into the vehicle between the wiring harness and the center mounted third brake light. PULSE is exclusively marketed to car dealers as an add-on product. It probably costs less than $10, takes 5 minutes to install, and dealers sell them for between $299-$499.

Here's what it looks like...

Name:  pulse_hardware.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  26.6 KB

Watch the video below to see how it is marketed to car dealers.
    This is not the video that PULSE wants the customer to see.

The installation instructions are attached below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-19-2020 at 07:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (11-20-2021),Eggman (06-18-2020),MetroMPG (06-19-2020),mohammad (12-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    PULSE is a trademarked product. The PULSE device is wired into the vehicle between the wiring harness and the center mounted third brake light. PULSE is exclusively marketed to car dealers as an add-on product.
    Hey thanks Top_Fuel for the details. I figured it was such a device, but wanted to hear from someone in the know about such things.

Between the Pulse device and the Mitsubishi Mirage ETACS setting for Emergency Stop Signal, I think I would prefer the ETACS ESS because it activates when ABS does as opposed to every time the brake pedal is applied.

Good thing I didn't pay extra for that.

Edit: the video at 3:57 = lolz.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-18-2020 at 07:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...I think I would prefer the ETACS ESS because it activates when ABS does as opposed to every time the brake pedal is applied.
    Interesting...I didn't know that was an available ETACS feature! Guess we need someone with one of those magic ETACS emulators to try it out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Between the Pulse device and the Mitsubishi Mirage ETACS setting for Emergency Stop Signal, I think I would prefer the ETACS ESS because it activates when ABS does as opposed to every time the brake pedal is applied.

Good thing I didn't pay extra for that.

This could surely be moved to a new thread, but I don't have that ability.

The purpose of Pulse is not much different than a third brake light being added to cars. To help rear-end collisions adding a third brake light became mandatory in 1986. Pulse just help draw more attention to the third brake light (by making it flash a few times) when the brakes are first applied.

If you are activating your ABS to make frequent stops, you need to change your driving habits. I see no advantage in what you just stated above at all. If Pulse was associated with ABS activation, it would seldom be used (especially if you are driving properly).

Pulse is simply another way of reducing accidents & nothing more. If you have it, it may as well work with every stop in traffic.

If someone is buying a brand new 2020 Mirage ES manual for $9,500-11,000 OTD (depending on the special rebates you qualify for), I wouldn't get to bent out of shape over the car having Pulse added to it.

You do realize these are items that are used to help close deals for stubborn customers. Salesman can say, we'll throw in the $299 Pulse for free making the customer feel like they just made a better deal. It's a simple gesture that cost them $25 to do. For the easy-going customers, it's $275 profit for the dealership. I really don't think people are walking away from deals at White Bear over Pulse. People like Eggman just buy their Mirages elsewhere I guess.

It's funny how people think differently. I'd rather have Pulse than ABS brakes. I've never really cared for ABS brakes, but it's almost impossible to avoid these days.

Thanks - Top Fuel for sharing how Pulse works.

When I went in for my air bag recall a couple years ago, my rear brake light wasn't working. It was the first time & only time I have been at White Bear. They fixed the rear brake light. My guess is the issue was related to the Pulse wiring. They said it was a disconnected wire. Since it was no charge, I didn't question it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting...I didn't know that was an available ETACS feature! Guess we need someone with one of those magic ETACS emulators to try it out!
    Yeah I found it in the thread Explanation ETACS coding list programming but to be honest I don't know if anyone other than forum member attrage 2020 has reported on enabling and using the feature.

It's no big deal really, but I'm still curious about it. Heck I could have lit it up today stopping for a red light on my way home.

If you are activating your ABS to make frequent stops, you need to change your driving habits. I see no advantage in what you just stated above at all. If Pulse was associated with ABS activation, it would seldom be used (especially if you are driving properly).
    Agreed.

It's a simple gesture that cost them $25 to do.
    $59 according to the video?

When I went in for my air bag recall a couple years ago, my rear brake light wasn't working. It was the first time & only time I have been at White Bear. They fixed the rear brake light. My guess is the issue was related to the Pulse wiring. They said it was a disconnected wire. Since it was no charge, I didn't question it.
    Gosh that would stink to pay extra for an unwanted device only to have it break. Again, I'm glad my dealer didn't make me pay extra for that.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-18-2020 at 08:40 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-18-2020),Mirageman38 (06-18-2020),Top_Fuel (06-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Edit: the video at 3:57 = lolz.
    Name:  pulse_price.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  35.5 KB

...unless some loser takes a screenshot of this video and posts it in a forum.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-19-2020),Fummins (06-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...unless some loser takes a screenshot of this video and posts it in a forum.
    Some posts I wish I could Thank more than once.

PS except for the loser part that is.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-19-2020 at 11:42 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-20-2020)