Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulse center brake light - aftermarket / ETACS discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Pulse center brake light - aftermarket / ETACS discussion

Last edited by Mirageman38; 06-22-2020 at 09:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    What is up with this: "(PULSE has been pre-installed for your convenience. $299 One-Time Activation Fee)"

I have never heard of this. I guess it pulses the brake light? What is this unit they install that can be activated? I don't think this is standard. $300 seems steep.

Can one of these $5 ebay units do the same?
    Yes it will

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    What's that Pulse thingy? Isn't that a setting in ETACS?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...lse#post105243
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    PulseŽ is the rear-end collision deterrent that rapidly pulses your third brake light 4 times when you press the brake pedal. (The pulsing does not repeat upon any subsequent application of the brakes for 5 seconds so as not to annoy trailing drivers in stop-and-go traffic.)

My car has it. Like many features, I could care less. Bluetooth ($210), center armrest ($180), and Pulse ($299) made my $9,000 Mirage cost $9,299. I could have refused those items, but it would have meant searching for another car at the time. Since the car was in my first color choice, White Bear was willing to get it from another dealership, & they offered to deliver it - even I would have felt cheap disputing $300 extra.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    PulseŽ is the rear-end collision deterrent that rapidly pulses your third brake light 4 times when you press the brake pedal. (The pulsing does not repeat upon any subsequent application of the brakes for 5 seconds so as not to annoy trailing drivers in stop-and-go traffic.)

My car has it. Like many features, I could care less. Bluetooth ($210), center armrest ($180), and Pulse ($299) made my $9,000 Mirage cost $9,299. I could have refused those items, but it would have meant searching for another car at the time. Since the car was in my first color choice, White Bear was willing to get it from another dealership, & they offered to deliver it - even I would have felt cheap disputing $300 extra.
    Hey Mark, thanks for your answer.

Do you think the Pulse is a piece of hardware or a setting in ETACS? Pretty expensive if it's just enabling a feature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Do you think the Pulse is a piece of hardware or a setting in ETACS?
    It's basically a small hardware device that plugs into the third brake light. You can read about it here.

Check out a knock-off being sold on eBay at this link.

It's clearly a profit-boosting add-on (like paint protection, VIN etching glass, etc.). But if they're selling new Mirages way cheaper than anyone else in the country, I'm not going to lose any sleep over $300.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I recall this feature was found in ETACS and I'm looking for someone to confirm this suspicion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I recall this feature was found in ETACS and I'm looking for someone to confirm this suspicion.
    Even if Pulse was in ETACS, I highly doubt White Bear is activating it. The reason I say this -

2014-18 base model Mirages don't come with cruise control. White Bear offered an after market cruise for $599 when I bought my Mirage. I inquired about this, & it was an aftermarket add on cruise. They were not using ETACS to activate the cruise on base model Mirages.

Pulse is not a bad feature. Is it worth $299? No!

If a brand new car is selling under 66% window sticker, adding Pulse does not make it a deal breaker for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Pulse is not a bad feature.
    This point is debatable. Flashing red lights have meaning.

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that there are laws regarding signaling that prevent unauthorized use. This may explain why the feature is not in more widespread use in the US. But what do I know.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-18-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect.