Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cabin air filters @ rockauto.com

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Im starting to consider the idea of cutting away the outer border of a used filter and staple a few over-lapping coffee filters. This should kept the debris out but it wont help with the foul smells. But you can prevent "stinking" a/c vents by remembering to turn off the snowflake (on the air conditioner) a few blocks away from home and let the vents dry out with dry air. Its the wet droplets left behind in the a/c vents that grows the mold and bacteria that is responsible for the foul smells.

Actually if we are just looking for a "screen" then maybe a combination of window screen + coffee filter? Or how about a piece of cotton T-shirt?
    I can's say that I have experienced the foul smells coming from the vents, but it's probably not as humid in Wisconsin. We obviously live in different climates. I seldom use A/C to begin with. If it's a bit warmer out, I prefer driving with the windows open.

I just check my cabin air filter from time to time. Sometimes, I just blow out the dust with an air compressor & re-install it. At times I just replace it. As long as cheaper cabin air filters (under $5) exist, I don't see the need to spend more for them. I also don't see the need to create an alternative.

If you come up with sometime that works really well, however, it would be interesting to see it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can's say that I have experienced the foul smells coming from the vents, but it's probably not as humid in Wisconsin. We obviously live in different climates. I seldom use A/C to begin with. If it's a bit warmer out, I prefer driving with the windows open.

I just check my cabin air filter from time to time. Sometimes, I just blow out the dust with an air compressor & re-install it. At times I just replace it. As long as cheaper cabin air filters (under $5) exist, I don't see the need to spend more for them. I also don't see the need to create an alternative.

If you come up with sometime that works really well, however, it would be interesting to see it.
    I could certainly design something that would work in a similar fashion but truth be told..... Its not worth the effort if we can buy Chinese cabin filters on AliExpress for 1.53 each and change them once per year. If the filters where $15 each then it would be another story. But i wont waste any brain power on this.

Must save my brain for the stock market and day-trading this Monday
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I could certainly design something that would work in a similar fashion but truth be told..... Its not worth the effort if we can buy Chinese cabin filters on AliExpress for 1.53 each and change them once per year. If the filters where $15 each then it would be another story. But i wont waste any brain power on this.

Must save my brain for the stock market and day-trading this Monday
    Designing something to replace a $1.53 item you may need to replace once or twice a year may not be the best use of anyone's resources or brain power!

If a person knows they are going to keep their Mirage for long time, buying a few in bulk at a low price is the definitely the way to go. I appreciate you sharing AliExpress. I was not aware of them, & I can be a bit leery of unknown places that sell parts. In the case of rockauto.com, they list their location as Madison, Wisconsin. I could probably hunt them down if I had too!