Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    So...Mirage and after 10 years not having a car. How about that eh. So I have been to NYC (never California) and so I get how owning a car in Manhattan would be impossible. I have seen those multi-story car garages myself.
    Yes, I’m super stoked to be a car owner again! It happens that today is my birthday so perfect timing

I lived in Manhattan for a few months and spent the rest of my NY time in Brooklyn, where it’s a little less expensive. There are some more parking spaces in Brooklyn, but still not easily available. However, the train system is just so efficient there, even though it’s old, dirty, smelly, hot, humid, and not properly designed for safety. I’ve only been to Vancouver and Toronto in Canada, but I dare say NY train system is the most efficient one in North America. The only (much) better one I’ve seen would be in Japan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to newtomit For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    https://nankangusa.com/passenger-tir...ll-season-uhp/
    It’s the 205/40R17 one. Never heard of this brand before. I hope it’s good lol
    Decent brand, but that's a REALLY wide tire for a Mirage. I'd be watching really close for rubbing.

If you have the correct wheel offset, the front might be okay. But, there's not enough space in the rear for that much tire. If the wheel offset is keeping the from rubbing on the inside, they ARE at risk for rubbing the fenders on the outside, which is exactly what that photo looks like.

Be careful about loading up the back of the car with either people in the back seat, or a bunch of weight in the back.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Decent brand, but that's a REALLY wide tire for a Mirage. I'd be watching really close for rubbing.

If you have the correct wheel offset, the front might be okay. But, there's not enough space in the rear for that much tire. If the wheel offset is keeping the from rubbing on the inside, they ARE at risk for rubbing the fenders on the outside, which is exactly what that photo looks like.

Be careful about loading up the back of the car with either people in the back seat, or a bunch of weight in the back.
    Yikes! Now I’m concerned. Why would the previous owner change to these? If I want to switch them back to the factory size, do i have to change the rims all together?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Ah, I see, the HSA is an automatic built-in feature. I was looking for a button or switch to turn it on

ItÂ’s interesting the Mirages donÂ’t have temp gauge. It makes me feel better to see some kind of temperature meter while driving vs suddenly the red light comes on and puts me in panic mode lol
    I prefer an engine temperature gauge, too. My 2011 Subaru Forester is the same as my Mirage (idiot light & no gauge). You can add a gauge to your Mirage, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, HSA just happens. There's no button or switch for that one.

I didn't learn everything on my Mirage right away. For example, the Mirage has intermittent front wipers that are speed sensitive. I think I owned the car a year or two before noticing that.

Even if I had read the entire owner's manual, I would have missed a few items.

It makes us forum members feel smart when we can answer questions about the Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yikes! Now I’m concerned. Why would the previous owner change to these? If I want to switch them back to the factory size, do i have to change the rims all together?
    You can't put a 14" or 15" tire on a 17" rim.

Those are large rims for a Mirage.

Just for comparison - My Subaru Forester has 16" rims. My cousin's older 2007 Chevy Colorado pickup has 15" rims.

Since you have large rims, your tires are relatively low profile to fit (height-wise).
    Last edited by Mark; 06-20-2020 at 03:40 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You can't put a 14" or 15" tire on a 17" rim.

Those are large rims for a Mirage.

Just for comparison - My Subaru Forester has 16" rims. My cousin's older 2007 Chevy Colorado pickup has 15" rims.

Since you have large rims, your tires are relatively low profile to fit (height-wise).
    Oh man, I wish I knew about this before getting it. Why do you think the previous owner changed them? Purely aesthetic?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, they look cool, right? Wider, they'll have more grip, too.

But, without rolling the fenders, you really can't fit more than 195 front and 185 rear without risk of rubbing somewhere. Stock tires are 165.

Like everything else, there are threads here about wheel and tire fitment.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Everything else has been well covered, but the Mirage didn't get HSA until 2017.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Yeah, they look cool, right? Wider, they'll have more grip, too.

But, without rolling the fenders, you really can't fit more than 195 front and 185 rear without risk of rubbing somewhere. Stock tires are 165.

Like everything else, there are threads here about wheel and tire fitment.
    To be honest, those tires did not at all factor in my decision of purchasing the car. I thought the rims were nice, but the tire size did not even cross my mind. Now I’m worried that rubbing is going to stop my car in the middle of the road or cause severe damage to the car!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I’ve only been to Vancouver and Toronto in Canada, but I dare say NY train system is the most efficient one in North America. The only (much) better one I’ve seen would be in Japan.
    Nice, and Happy Birthday! Mirage for your birthday present.

I've been on the subway system in Toronto too, and NYC, and thirdly Montreal. And Montreal seems like the most advanced of the 3. Sort of "1970s" version of modern, but a really big subway network, and seems newer than NY's.

I saw rats scurrying along the NY subway line, one with piece of pizza in its mouth. I'm not even exaggerating.

The other shocker for me in NY is the Port Authority bus terminal. Really cool, but really kinda scary. Must be one of the top 5 transient spots on planet earth.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

newtomit (06-25-2020)