Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That's a chip key so that can be $$$ to replace. You can get a cheap extra key cut that will just unlock the car but not start the engine.
    Ooooh I didn't know it has a chip. Most likely not going to make a duplicate then lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Ooooh I didn't know it has a chip. Most likely not going to make a duplicate then lol
    Consider picking up a couple of spare keys now before you need them. You can get "transponder" key blanks on eBay for $20...or probably a bit more from a locksmith. I think the part number is MIT17A-PT.

A good locksmith should be able to cut the transponder key blanks and program them to the car. Expect the programming cost to be around $100. See how it's done in this video. That might sound expensive, but wait until you lose your only key and you need a new key immediately. That's when things can get really expensive!

I'm not sure how many keys can be programmed to the car...but it's at least 3.

Once you have 2 functioning transponder keys, you can program a third key yourself by following a procedure outlined in the owner's manual. So the lesson here is, never have fewer than 3 working keys for your Mirage! Because if you lose one, you can still program a replacement yourself.

Once you're down to a single key, you need a locksmith or the dealer to get involved.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Be sure to have a second key at the least, just in case.

The Mirage is sold with two keys programmed. If you don't have the original keys, chances are you have two keys programmed to only one of the two original transponder codes. Any duplicates you get are going to be one of those two codes, unless you find someone who is able to reprogram your Mirage's immobilizer to recognize a new transponder code. This is possible for the owner to do. However, the procedure calls for two different keys registered to add more. Your Owner's Manual has more details.

Motor vehicles in the United States have used transponder chips for decades now. It's nothing new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rubbing experience! I started a new thread about it
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...331#post111331

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Factory keyless does NOT have an alarm. The car does have an immobilizer key though so it won't start by crossing wires.
    I was sure they had factory alarm like most things with keyless entry do? I'll have to go check now. Maybe they don't have them there?
    As far as getting an extra key for it, you can get a key from amazon. If you do in fact have factory keyless entry with buttons on the key buy a new key with case, buy used key from ebay,pick a part etc..., swap over transponder/keyfob buttons and get it cut and programmed to your car by dealership or locksmith. Or just go to the dealer and have them supply and make you one but it'll cost you way more.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-29-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Just realized everything I wrote was already said ^^

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I was sure they had factory alarm like most things with keyless entry do? I'll have to go check now. Maybe they don't have them there?
    As far as getting an extra key for it, you can get a key from amazon. If you do in fact have factory keyless entry with buttons on the key buy a new key with case, buy used key from ebay,pick a part etc..., swap over transponder/keyfob buttons and get it cut and programmed to your car by dealership or locksmith. Or just go to the dealer and have them supply and make you one but it'll cost you way more.
    I find it odd that both factory keys are missing for his car. I don't think that I would accept a car from a new or used car dealership that didn't have two working keys. They can make a second key for their cost if they want the deal to happen. I highly doubt they would lose closing a deal over that request.

Buying from a private party is another story.

Country
    Malaysia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Where's the central locking module unit located?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KS87Industries View Post
    Where's the central locking module unit located?
    Welcome to the forum! Could you be a little more specific in your question? Is this related to door locking?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Could you be a little more specific in your question? Is this related to door locking?
    Hye sir. Yes it is.. Its actually door locking system. I wanna make autolocking system but i need to go thru the module for system adjustment

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KS87Industries View Post
    Hye sir. Yes it is.. Its actually door locking system. I wanna make autolocking system but i need to go thru the module for system adjustment
    May I suggest downloading the FSM?