Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New 2018 Mirage owner here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The pearl white paint is growing on me. I didn't realize that color is actually a $295 option...

Name:  white.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  43.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The pearl white paint is growing on me. I didn't realize that color is actually a $295 option...

Name:  white.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  43.0 KB
    It really looks pretty up close or in good light. I saw it at the Auto Show a year or so ago and it was really well applied. I liked it better than any other shade they had there. I hope it looks as good in person after 2 years

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It looks like the car has 4 new Vredestein tires. There's nothing wrong with that. But a very low mileage Mirage with new tires means that something happened to one or more of the original tires so they replaced all of them.
    Oh, I wouldn't be quick to take that approach just yet. I would suggest that it's not unusual for an owner to get a new set of rims and tires that they like better than the factory set. It's not unheard of, right Top_Fuel??

Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires
    Choosing Fuel Efficient 15” Wheels and Tires
    Alternative light-weight 15-inch wheels

I just love old threads!
    3 Reasons I'm Upgrading to 15" Wheels/Tires

Here's why I'm looking for new wheels/tires when my new car isn't even broken in yet...

1. OEM wheels/tires aren't helping the car's appearance

A Mirage looks oddly top-heavy on narrow wheels with excessive offset, and tiny tires. I'm a car guy...and in order for this thing to look even remotely cool, the stock wheels/tires have got to go.

2. OEM tires are marginal

Enasaves have no redeeming qualities (other than low rolling resistance). They have average traction, short tread life, and fragile sidewalls that are easily damaged. At $120/each, nobody would ever put these tires on their Mirage if given a choice. I'd rather sell my Enasaves now while they are in like-new shape...and use those funds toward better/longer lasting tires.

3. Low Rolling Resistance 14" tire choices are extremely limited

There are no 14" tires available with low rolling resistance and a long tread life. If you drive a lot of miles, you want a tire with both qualities to minimize operating costs. A $35 tire that only lasts 40K miles and/or loses 2 mpg will ultimately cost more over time than a quality, long-life LRR tire.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-01-2020 at 01:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-01-2020),Top_Fuel (07-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems it's an ongoing curiosity for you:

What's the difference between cloud white and pearl white?

Maybe the 2121s will be offered in Pearl!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...I would suggest that it's not unusual for an owner to get a new set of rims and tires that they like better than the factory set. It's not unheard of, right Top_Fuel??
    If they were aftermarket aluminum wheels, I would agree and I would applaud the prior owner for being so wise. But these are hubcaps on 14" factory steel wheels...so it still makes me wonder a bit.

One thing I forgot... Carvana is like CarMax when it comes to tires. If the tires aren't above a certain tread depth (5/32" for Carvana), then they replace them before the car is sold. So it's possible Carvana actually put these tires on if the original tires were below 5/32".

What's the difference between cloud white and pearl white?
    I remember that thread! Seems like yesterday. I actually had picked out a pearl white 2015...then at the last minute I changed and bought a silver one instead. I'm pretty sure my next one (if there is one) will be white!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they were aftermarket aluminum wheels, I would agree and I would applaud the prior owner for being so wise. But these are hubcaps on 14" factory steel wheels...so it still makes me wonder a bit.

One thing I forgot... Carvana is like CarMax when it comes to tires. If the tires aren't above a certain tread depth (5/32" for Carvana), then they replace them before the car is sold. So it's possible Carvana actually put these tires on if the original tires were below 5/32".

I remember that thread! Seems like yesterday. I actually had picked out a pearl white 2015...then at the last minute I changed and bought a silver one instead. I'm pretty sure my next one (if there is one) will be white!
    You know something, you're right! I just checked their "150 point inspection" list for this specific car(they link to it on the listing) and it did indeed show that it failed the "5/32" test. Guess that clears that up Still seems a bit soon due to the low millage, gonna do the alignment check just to be sure, can't hurt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha! I thought those were alloys.

Is the five-lug version considered an upgrade?

At least it's got Vredesteins.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-01-2020),Top_Fuel (07-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    This shot makes it look like a Matchbox model with the doors open.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This shot makes it look like a Matchbox model with the doors open.
    Ha! That's why I liked it Who wouldn't want a matchbox model of their car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got the car in today! It's everything Carvana stated and more! As I had to pick it up from New Jersey (they sent me an Uber to get out there, it was supposed to come to me) I had a good chance to put a few miles on it. It has plenty of pep in it's step and I like the ride so much more than the last one I drove. The new tires I'm not liking too much, rough feeling over the road and pretty noisy to boot. But they look new so I guess I'm gonna deal with them for awhile at least. Everything else, no issues that I could see feel or hear. It will be checked out by the best suspension place in the Bronx tomorrow to check for any alignment issues and then over to my local Mitsu dealer for a check up (recalls, etc.).

I'm so glad I switched to this one, it's a really pretty car with almost zero issues, couldn't ask for more

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-06-2020),Top_Fuel (07-06-2020)