Thread: Deer whistles on your Mirage, effective or myth?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Deer whistles on your Mirage, effective or myth?

I wonder if some folks on the Forum can let me know if the deer whistles I just put on my Mirage are effective? Like making a sound so deer and raccoons run away as I'm driving a night on rural roads. To be honest I had one or two close calls with a deer and with raccoons in the last week alone, so I figured I'd try deer whistles on my grille. The left side is partly plastic-ed off. So I put them lower sort of.

Or, are deer whistles a gizmo that doesn't work.. I wonder if people on the Mirage Forum have had experience with them in the past? Thanks

Last edited by dspace9; 06-22-2020 at 02:15 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not Sure, l just blare techno music with the windows down lol Also those Led lights will help a ton over stock with the High beams on....l've wondered if deer whistles work as well...hope someone can answer that for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Not Sure, l just blare techno music with the windows down lol Also those Led lights will help a ton over stock with the High beams on....l've wondered if deer whistles work as well...hope someone can answer that for you
    Your upgraded lights turned out to be a big improvement eh? That's a good preventative measure to take. So far I am still with my original lightbulbs all around my car. I do the go-around check to make sure things are working proper, or sometimes or do my light inspection with mirrored buildings. I think they are good lights on my Mirage, but of course there are better options out there.

My old cars, especially my old VW, had probably less than 50% the headlight power my Mirage has now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Your upgraded lights turned out to be a big improvement eh? That's a good preventative measure to take. So far I am still with my original lightbulbs all around my car. I do the go-around check to make sure things are working proper, or sometimes or do my light inspection with mirrored buildings. I think they are good lights on my Mirage, but of course there are better options out there.

My old cars, especially my old VW, had probably less than 50% the headlight power my Mirage has now.
    Always a good idea to check that all bulbs are functioning, l almost got a ticket in HS for a burnt out license plate bulb...by converting over to led, l don't have to check as much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The general consensus in the upper midwest throughout the years has been that those are garbage and don't do anything. WI had a reported 18,000 deer strikes last year, those whistles just don't work.

Yeah, deer are stupid and suicidal. I've seen more road pizza deer than anything else. Deer whistles used to be a fad 20-30 years ago. I just don't see them around anymore. I do recall seeing deer whistles on wrecks that clearly hit a deer. They do look super cool though so they're not a total waste of money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wonder if some folks on the Forum can let me know if the deer whistles I just put on my Mirage are effective? Like making a sound so deer and raccoons run away as I'm driving a night on rural roads. To be honest I had one or two close calls with a deer and with raccoons in the last week alone, so I figured I'd try deer whistles on my grille. The left side is partly plastic-ed off. So I put them lower sort of.

Or, are deer whistles a gizmo that doesn't work.. I wonder if people on the Mirage Forum have had experience with them in the past? Thanks
    I thought they were a "Deer Call Whistle" just like a duck call. If you want to hit one it's a sure fire way to attract them. Saves you a lot of time and energy if you're a hunter. No hunting license necessary and they come to you!
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-22-2020 at 03:44 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-22-2020),Fummins (06-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The whistles package says "Wildlife Warning System" as the name of the thing and under that "An effective way to avoid animal/automobile accidents."

I took a photo to show you, but Windows 10 just eliminated my bluetooth button on my taskbar. Windows is still so annoying.