Thread: Finally Joined the Club

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Finally Joined the Club

Hello, All!

After years of watching and waiting, I finally sprang on a Mirage today, and I am so excited!

I started as a lurker on EcoModder back in the day, trying to hypermile my old Accord. Though I was around (lurking, mostly) when the new Mirage first started to be talked about on EM, that was far outside of my budget, and I was already pretty enamored with the Insight as a fine piece of engineering. I dreampt of buying one of those, and nearly bought one last year before it fell through. In the meantime, I started to look more at what this whole Mirage thing was all about, as by now, the first models had started to drop in price quite a bit to where I might be willing to purchase one, so I also nearly imported that super cheap one in SW Ontario, as that's really not a far drive from my area, but I couldn't mess with getting it all modified to pass inspection for US standards, and I left that dream to pursue an Insight, which fell through last minute.

After going through this year at college with no car, I was still watching for a good, beater Insight. Thanks to a generous gift from my dear grandpa, though, my budget increased significantly for a car, and life changes this year (including a marvelous woman) have made the two seats and small cargo room of the Insight less practical, so I started searching again. Though Covid seems to have drastically cut the availability of used cars on the market where I'm from (at least compared to this time last year), I finally snagged one just this evening, and will attempt the process of transfering it into the state this week. I could hardly be more thrilled to have finally joined the club!

EDIT: It's a 2015 CVT with 107k miles. I have some work to do on it to get it in top shape (and preserve it) but after that, I hope to do some MPG mods.

Last edited by Ylmir; 06-22-2020 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Left out info

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ylmir For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-22-2020),foama (06-22-2020),Fummins (06-24-2020),MetroMPG (06-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome to the club, Ylmir. That is an interesting backstory to today, and you are a Mirage owner now. Cheers from Canada

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome, fellow Mirage owner...cant wait to see what you do with the car greeting from Mentor, OH.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylmir View Post
    Hello, All!
    It's a 2015 CVT with 107k miles. I have some work to do on it to get it in top shape (and preserve it) but after that, I hope to do some MPG mods.
    Welcome!

There are a few threads in this forum about preservation and a few eco mods too. One each about cavity waxing, derusting and painting the axles, partial grill block, temp-sensor eco mod, etc. If you look after it and want to take care of it, and have no traffic accidents, these cars will last a very long time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Hello Ylmir and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome. Can't wait to see what kind of MPG mods you come up with

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Ylmir!

Is that your EcoModder username?? Don't recognize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylmir View Post
    when the new Mirage first started to be talked about on EM, that was far outside of my budget
    That makes 2 of us! But the early ones with higher km/miles are coming down in price. I just picked up my second one.

I was already pretty enamored with the Insight as a fine piece of engineering.
    That makes 2 of us! I loved the 2000 Insight I owned for a while - every time I drove it I was amazed how far Honda let the engineers go in pursuit of maximum MPG. (You know a car is serious about efficiency when it has 5 (FIVE) separate fuel economy gauges!)

[had my eye on] that super cheap one in SW Ontario
    That makes 3 of us! Assuming you mean the one that Wally ended up buying?

I finally snagged one just this evening
    Congrats! Out of state... Have you driven it yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Welcome!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)