Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi to Reduce U.S. Committment?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Yes, and that could translate into brand loyalty. They offer a $250 discount for current owners. I think that 15 years between cars, however, is a long time to count on customers for an expected profit though. The marketing could be geared towards college graduates, single households, and elderly, but I think commuters would be a segment for those who drive less than 30 miles. More than that and I think the highway speeds are more of a concern so it depends more on location and routes.
    The average age of vehicles on U.S. roads is 11.8 years. That translates into some people driving some older vehicles for sure.

Geo Metro hasn't been made since 2001, & you still those around. Mirages will be around for quite some time. A lot of them will also bite the dust.

Why are Sparks more popular? 3,000 Chevy dealerships in the States.

There are 350 Mitsubishi dealerships in the States & only 90 in Canada. Nissan has about 1,080 in the States, plus some Infiniti dealers.

If there is a good Mitsubishi dealership in Wisconsin, I am not aware of it. That's a huge issue for this brand. I like my Mirage, but I am not impressed by the company. Then again no one is presently impressing me. If I could pick an interesting brand, it would be Suzuki. I like what they offer in small cars, but it may be a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence (or in this case ocean)?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

highwire (06-23-2020),Subcompact Culture (06-23-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    https://carbuzz.com/news/mitsubishis...ally-different this also repeats some of that article.

I think if Nissan is taking the "wheel" in N. America, why not transplant the Nissan Leaf's battery to make an electric Mirage?

Of course, I am just concerned about the subcompact market in the U.S.
    I would quite literally cut off a limb to have access to Renault's small cars here again in North America.

Growing up my Aunt had a green Renault 5 (AMC Le Car), thing was awesome (and also very, very rusty).

The current Renault Twingo (& Z.E.) / Smart ForFour is *fantastic*. As is the VW UP (and e-UP).

Peugeot / Citroën is *supposed* to re-enter the NA market sometime in the next two/three years, but who knows what's up now because of COVID.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 06-23-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    I would quite literally cut off a limb to have access to Renault's small cars here again in North America.

Growing up my Aunt had a green Renault 5 (AMC Le Car), thing was awesome.

The current Renault Twingo (& Z.E.) / Smart ForFour is *fantastic*. As are the VW UP (and e-UP).

Peugeot is *supposed* to re-enter the NA market sometime in the next two years, but who knows what's up now because of COVID.
    I'd support more Euro options in the states if they'd address 2 key issues. First parts prices/labor costs to work on these cars. Second, battling the stereotype of French too unreliable and German too expensive. France could give big warranties and go with drivetrains that have proven reliability by being manufactured for years, like our 3A92 engines. Germany could restructure their intense labor unions to allow parts manufacturing to be allowed in the States on a big scale and stop over engineering everything. Just my thoughts.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just for some context, most European small cars are made in Eastern Europe to reduce labour costs, only keeping the more profitable models made in their home countries of France and Germany.

Similar what Honda does for the Fit, and Nissan for their cheap products, Mitsubishi with the Mirage.

Agree with expensive parts though.... although Mitsubishi, and from past experience Subaru can't really brag too much about having cheap ubiquitous parts or service either.

Germany has lots of unions true, but they also don't have the crazy self-destructive attitude that the UAW/CAW have here in North America either.

Germany and many other European countries have work councils which have a balancing effect with Unions and prevents the acrimonious relationship that they often have here on this side of the ocean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think they'll leave. They're introducing a new Outlander, redesigned the Eclipse Cross, and refreshed the Mirage. Be silly to do all that and just say screw it and go.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure Covid has really taken a tole on the smaller dealers. You'll probably see the end of Mitsu in the us. It saddens me that Nissan and Mitsu are my 2 favorite Japanese auto manufactures and they'll probably be out of here soon.

I do think maybe if the Alliance is going to continue that Mitsu and Nissan dealers need to be 1 dealership and they might want to stop fighting each other in segments.

I agree with the flu.

I'm not a Nissan fan. We have a bunch of them in the fleet and I do side jobs for a few people that own some murano's and other junk. From a ease of repair aspect they're all disposable junk.
    I had an armada and a maxima. Both had lots of power but got rid of both had their share of problems.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I agree with the flu.

I'm not a Nissan fan. We have a bunch of them in the fleet and I do side jobs for a few people that own some murano's and other junk. From a ease of repair aspect they're all disposable junk.
    I had an armada and a maxima. Both had lots of power but got rid of both had their share of problems.
    I think if you get base cars like versas and sentras in a manual trans you'll eliminate most issues you have. Nissans also get a bad rap because they're low end. The people who buy them are normally dirt broke and treat them for **** so they're normally in **** condition. The Armada is just a pos though.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No offense, but that article is nothing but a click-baity SEO piece. There's nothing in there that's new or damning. I wouldn't read very far into this article at all. Nissan has already denied a sale of Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi has long-term plans globally and here in North America. They're already showing the '22 Eclipse Cross. The next Mirage should be here shortly. The Outlander's getting a redesign. Personally, I'm not too worried.

These SEO-driven click-bait articles are great at stirring up rumors and lighting automotive communities ablaze with speculation. I pretty much hate that.