Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris Discontinued

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Toyota Yaris Discontinued

Whether you liked the Mazda-made Yaris or not, it's going away.

https://autowise.com/the-toyota-yari...year-autowise/

Full disclosure, I wrote this article.

Regardless of that, this represents yet another option off the table for subcompact cars in the U.S. which isn't great news, IMHO.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-24-2020),MetroMPG (06-23-2020),Top_Fuel (06-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Whether you liked the Mazda-made Yaris or not, it's going away.

https://autowise.com/the-toyota-yari...year-autowise/

Full disclosure, I wrote this article.

Regardless of that, this represents yet another option off the table for subcompact cars in the U.S. which isn't great news, IMHO.
    Personally, I think the ugly front grill may have killed it?

On a more serious note, I don't think this is great news either. Given all the bad Mirage press, however, it would be funny to see the Mirage be the last small subcompact standing. The Alliance may kill that possibility, however.

Affordable economy cars don't generate enough profit, & profit is driving decisions. I felt the death of the Prius c was sad, too!

Here's what I wonder about the widespread death of entry-level economy cars:

What's the cost difference to get into the company's bigger, fancier "entry-level" option (Corolla, in this case)? Often it's many, many thousands of dollars more expensive.

What happened to the concept of offering an inexpensive vehicle to bring young people to the brand, then up-selling them when they come back in a few years, presumably with more money and needing more space?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

What's the cost difference to get into the company's bigger, fancier "entry-level" option (Corolla, in this case)? Often it's many, many thousands of dollars more expensive.

What happened to the concept of offering an inexpensive vehicle to bring young people to the brand, then up-selling them when they come back in a few years, presumably with more money and needing more space?
    On top of that - the current day Corollas and Civics are bigger than the Camrys & Accords of the past.

This may be why many people are driving older vehicles? Basic, affordable Corollas & Civics don't even really exist in the new car market any more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I think that died out with the whole "Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Cadillac" thing

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I think that died out with the whole "Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Cadillac" thing
    Funny, because at the Montreal auto show where they showed the updated 2021 Mirage, they said something similar to this exact thing for Mitsubishi, that they were 'an SUV brand' but the Mirage served as an entry into the Mitsubishi brand.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    On top of that - the current day Corollas and Civics are bigger than the Camrys & Accords of the past.

This may be why many people are driving older vehicles? Basic, affordable Corollas & Civics don't even really exist in the new car market any more.
    Very True, l miss the smaller cars, my friends 2010 Honda civic looks like a subcompact to the 2020 Honda Civic. Sucks about the Yaris/Mazda 2.....good thing l got the Mirage instead

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Very True, l miss the smaller cars, my friends 2010 Honda civic looks like a subcompact to the 2020 Honda Civic. Sucks about the Yaris/Mazda 2.....good thing l got the Mirage instead
    Toyota may be dropping the Yaris here, but they aren't talking about leaving North America like Mitsubishi (current Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi Alliance discussion).

If you own a Yaris, Toyota dealerships aren't going anywhere. The same may not be true of Mitsubishi.

https://jalopnik.com/mitsubishi-migh...-us-1844120210

I wouldn't toot my horn to loudly about the Mirage being better, because the Yaris is being dropped here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Toyota may be dropping the Yaris here, but they aren't talking about leaving North America like Mitsubishi (current Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi Alliance discussion).

If you own a Yaris, Toyota dealerships aren't going anywhere. The same may not be true of Mitsubishi.

I wouldn't toot my horn to loudly about the Mirage being better, because the Yaris is being dropped here.
    Apologies if l came off as snobbish, No the Mirage is not better, but l'm glad l got it as l wouldn't have found this forum without buying it....also wish they could have kept the Yaris around for a couple more years....when l was looking at cars to buy l looked at the 2020 Yaris vs 2020 Mirage and the Mirage has hopefully been refined over 5 years as with the Yaris Hatchback, it's only the 1st year of production...l don't care what car it is, l never buy a car that in it's first year of production....who knows? Toyota will probably bring it back later on when gas prices go up.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

If true this would be a massive blow to the owners of Mitsu products where I live.... perhaps Nissan would take on the servicing and support like Mercedes-Benz did for Smart?

There are gobs of RVRs, Outlanders and Mirages where I live.

I can't go a single day without seeing at least one of each driving around.

The Mitsu dealer also just built a new dealership, so that would be a colossal waste of money if they were to just throw it away....but crazier things have happened.