Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member but big projects !

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New member but big projects !

I am the proud owner of a 2014 Mirage ES 5 speed manual. Overall, I love it, I have put some money on it over the years of owning it. It now has an insane sound system with 2 12 inches subwoofers, 4 kenwood 6.5 inches speakers, a pioneer 7 inch navigation/music unit that I had, etc. However, my car has 140 000 kilometers on it, which is not bad at all but I really wish it had more power. And if there is one thing that I don't see often, it's a powerful mirage. I recently got my hands on a B20V honda engine and believe it or not, I'm gonna swap that thing in and even better, slap a turbo on there. I don't want to push crazy numbers, anywhere near 250-300whp would already insane for a car this size and this weight. Obviously it's gonna be a difficult project as it's a bigger engine than the 3a92 that comes in them. I don't want to make it a race car, I just always dreamed of making this car a sleeper build, so now that the warranty is close to its end and that I got an engine to rebuild and install in there I will do it. Have any of you ever considered putting a b-series in the new mirages? What do you guys think?

For people wondering the wheels I have are about this biggest that I can put on there without too much scrubbing. They are 195/50/R15 and they honestly make a big difference on road noise and bump feel.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2JZRulz For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2JZRulz View Post
    Have any of you ever considered putting a b-series in the new mirages?
    Changing the engine (power train) would ruin what I like best about a Mirage. If I wanted more hp, I would have bought a 130 hp Honda Fit manual instead of a Mirage.

It's alway interesting to hear what others want to do, however. I wish you luck with that!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know I'm on a mirage forum and it's full of persons who love that car, but my main concern is : I don't enjoy driving it with its lack of power, I bought it when I began college because it was cheap as hell and my parents kinda forced me into it. But, for the price, I can't argue that it's a pretty damn comfortable car. I'm 6'2'' and there are lots of cars that I can't fit comfortably in. But the mirage suits my height perfectly, surprisingly. And I always wanted to make this car a sleeper build in which you can just smoke fast cars unexpectedly. Now I know there are lots of better chassis with better track performances, better looking design, bigger engine bays, etc. but it's the challenge that makes me want to do it with this particular car. It wont be worth much in a year so there is no money to lose even by putting my metal saw in the engine bay frame to make room for a bigger engine. I have to rebuild the engine before anyways. It's been in a turbo CRX and compression is low on 1 or 2 cylinders so I'll have to change the piston rings, gaskets, etc. Can't wait to be done with that and post my progress in here !
    Also can't wait to see people's face when they get smoked by a stock looking economy car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've considered putting a supercharger on mine to get the power up to around 90 hp. Would be fairly easy to do, and add to the fun factor.

Then I remind myself that I have a Miata in the garage. I still might get a wild hair and do it, though. Just because.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I know I'm on a mirage forum and it's full of persons who love that car, but my main concern is : I don't enjoy driving it with its lack of power, I bought it when I began college because it was cheap as hell and my parents kinda forced me into it. But, for the price, I can't argue that it's a pretty damn comfortable car. I'm 6'2'' and there are lots of cars that I can't fit comfortably in. But the mirage suits my height perfectly, surprisingly. And I always wanted to make this car a sleeper build in which you can just smoke fast cars unexpectedly. Now I know there are lots of better chassis with better track performances, better looking design, bigger engine bays, etc. but it's the challenge that makes me want to do it with this particular car. It wont be worth much in a year so there is no money to lose even by putting my metal saw in the engine bay frame to make room for a bigger engine. I have to rebuild the engine before anyways. It's been in a turbo CRX and compression is low on 1 or 2 cylinders so I'll have to change the piston rings, gaskets, etc. Can't wait to be done with that and post my progress in here !
    Also can't wait to see people's face when they get smoked by a stock looking economy car
    Welcome to the forum! If you need any inspiration here's a video of a guy that took his Mitsubishi that he drove in High School and never got rid of and did something pretty amazing. Oh, and start the video at the 1 minute mark to avoid the informercial in the beginning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I am the proud owner of a 2014 Mirage ES 5 speed manual. Overall, I love it, I have put some money on it over the years of owning it. It now has an insane sound system with 2 12 inches subwoofers, 4 kenwood 6.5 inches speakers, a pioneer 7 inch navigation/music unit that I had, etc. However, my car has 140 000 kilometers on it, which is not bad at all but I really wish it had more power. And if there is one thing that I don't see often, it's a powerful mirage. I recently got my hands on a B20V honda engine and believe it or not, I'm gonna swap that thing in and even better, slap a turbo on there. I don't want to push crazy numbers, anywhere near 250-300whp would already insane for a car this size and this weight. Obviously it's gonna be a difficult project as it's a bigger engine than the 3a92 that comes in them. I don't want to make it a race car, I just always dreamed of making this car a sleeper build, so now that the warranty is close to its end and that I got an engine to rebuild and install in there I will do it. Have any of you ever considered putting a b-series in the new mirages? What do you guys think?

For people wondering the wheels I have are about this biggest that I can put on there without too much scrubbing. They are 195/50/R15 and they honestly make a big difference on road noise and bump feel.
    Even a touch of rubbing could be really bad in the long term would it not? I thought the key is to have new shocks/suspension put in to avoid rubbing altogether. Your ties look cool, no doubt, but are you tearing up your car in the long run?

It probably wouldn't scrub it you took out the subs. It looks like the ass end is lower than the front in that pic. Put an adult or two in the back and send it!
    I'd be interested to see some more swaps in these things. I do like me a sleeper. I couldn't be bothered tearing apart a perfectly good car at this time though. If I had the time, space and another beater to drive I'd be on it like white on rice.

When someone starts talking imports to me I give them the deer in the headlights look. I have no frikin idea wtf a bgxr72sfasdf or a frtb0x7g2ers series gen 11 engine is nor do I care. In the domestic world swapping an ls into something must be the most popular way to go. I assume a civic engine could be the LS of the import world?
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-23-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-22-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I assume a civic engine could be the LS of the import world?
    Well I'd put it like that, because most Honda engines are really cheap and can produce a ton of power reliably, just like LS engines, except they are smaller. It's definitely gonna fit, the question is how much it's gonna cost to do it and stay legal.
    Also yeah it does rub in curves when I have a passenger or two, nothing to worry about tho, it's only tire on the inside of the fender.

Legal is a relative term. Do you have yearly inspections or emissions laws in Quebec? I wouldn't scab something unsafe together but wouldn't hesitate to do a swap out here and have zero worries about being legal or not. My last 99 ford truck I sold had a cummins from a 95'school bus, a transmission from an 05 dodge and hybrid ford/dodge t-case. It was legal here but not so much in smog states.\

And tires, they're highly over rated. That's what rims are for. They're like a built in spare tire.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-22-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Legal is a relative term. Do you have yearly inspections or emissions laws in Quebec? I .
    We don't have yearly inspections but if I were to cut part of the engine bay frame to fit the engine in I'm not sure I could drive the car ever again if I were to get it impounded to be honest. I'll try and make it fit without cutting anything first but I might have to cut front frame bar to get it to fit.