Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C compressor needing changed!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jangling sound, hmm... Like a "heavier" version of rattling your keys.

Does the AC function properly? No. No cool coming from the vents.

Does the compressor or clutch make noise while the AC is running? Yes, it squeaks and rattles(?)

Is there any noise coming from the compressor or clutch when the AC is not running? Squeaks

Have you observed the clutch operation while someone else turns your AC on/off? No

Exactly when does this "jangling" sound happen...and what does it sound like? when the ac is turned off. Sounds like I'm shaking my keys inside a large cup.

Not being there or seeing a video of what's going on makes it hard to interweb diagnose. Especially when we have no idea how car smart or dumb you are. I'll assume the later. Easiest thing to start with would be check the belt. These cars don't have an auto belt tensioner, you have to tighten it by hand by moving the alternator. It's easy, search around here. This is thee most common problem I see cause noise on these cars. It's hard to check tension by hand buy you can watch the top edge with engine running, ac on, heater, rear defrost on(load up the pulleys) if the belt flops is visibly flopping up and down then it's too loose or too stretched and needs to be replaced. Could always just snug it up, see if noise goes away if it does just replace the belt, it's cheap and easy. They wear out, stretch and break.

Edit: I don't know how to read. You say no cold air....Ignore the above shat in that case.

I'll let Steve carry on with this one. This seems like it could be 20 pages of back and forth questions and answers. So far you would be better off just replacing the compressor and get it recharged like Steve originally suggested.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-25-2020 at 03:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Not being there or seeing a video of what's going on makes it hard to interweb diagnose.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-30-2020),Fummins (06-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins
    This seems like it could be 20 pages of back and forth questions and answers.
    I'll go ahead and wade into the quicksand on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Erroniously_Spelt
    Does the AC function properly?
    No. No cool coming from the vents.
    So the AC in your car was working at some point, and now it's not working? We need to do a little more interweb diagnosis before you start throwing parts at it.

When you turn on the AC, are you sure the compressor clutch is engaging and the compressor is actually turning at that point?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Attachment 18387

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You and Steve...don't just walk away...

Name:  holdmybeer.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  54.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

So the AC in your car was working at some point, and now it's not working? We need to do a little more interweb diagnosis before you start throwing parts at it.

When you turn on the AC, are you sure the compressor clutch is engaging and the compressor is actually turning at that point?
    Correct, was working phenomenally! Then a couple times I used it, it started not being so cool... And I noticed the 'jangly' sound when I shut off the system. Then I turned it on again, and the sound returned, with no cool air.

Yes, I can hear the compressor trying, when I engage the ac.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erroniously_Spelt View Post
    ...I turned it on again, and the sound returned, with no cool air.
    This is what I'm hearing...

You turn on your AC...the clutch engages...and you hear a bunch of metallic rattling coming from the compressor and you have no cooling. When you shut the AC off, the rattling noise from the compressor stops.

If that description is accurate, then it does sound like you probably have a compressor failure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Erroniously_Spelt (06-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the compressor ordered, waiting for it to arrive. I'll update when I get it, and get it installed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erroniously_Spelt For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-30-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I want yo Cornbread! I dont know which was a better comedy, your vid link of "Life" with Eddie Murphy or "Roots" with Jordie from TNG.