Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C compressor needing changed!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question A/C compressor needing changed!?

Starting a couple days ago, I noticed that when I turned my A/C off, there was the clutch 'jangling' sound. I've not used the A/C since.

My question, how should I actually test the unit to confirm it's bad, before I put out a couple hundo on a new compressor?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My advice would be to just replace the compressor and be done with it.

I had a similar issue on the Delorean several years ago. Out of stupidity, I decided to keep running the AC anyway, despite a grinding noise coming from the compressor. Eventually the noise got worse and my AC hoses became pourous. Metal bits made it into the lines and caused major leaks. I ended up having to replace all of my hoses along with the compressor.

Had I been smart enough to stop running the AC, like you, I would have saved myself some money and headache.

You can get a good used compressor from LKQ with warranty for pennies compared to a new one.

My Mirage AC compressor went out around 190k miles. I replaced it with a used one from my local LKQ for about $80. At 302k miles my AC is still blowing nice and cold.

Call your local LKQ if there is one close to you. For me, that is always cheaper than ordering from them online.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.lkqonline.com/2014-Mitsu...K/-i~235129342

$121 is the online price for one with “free” shipping and a six month warranty. Of course it’s even cheaper if you are close to a local office where you can pick one up.

I’m a bit spoiled and lucky. There is a LKQ just five minutes from my house.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-02-2020),Erroniously_Spelt (06-25-2020),MetroMPG (06-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    My advice would be to just replace the compressor and be done with it.

I had a similar issue on the Delorean several years ago. Out of stupidity, I decided to keep running the AC anyway, despite a grinding noise coming from the compressor. Eventually the noise got worse and my AC hoses became pourous. Metal bits made it into the lines and caused major leaks. I ended up having to replace all of my hoses along with the compressor.

Had I been smart enough to stop running the AC, like you, I would have saved myself some money and headache.

You can get a good used compressor from LKQ with warranty for pennies compared to a new one.

My Mirage AC compressor went out around 190k miles. I replaced it with a used one from my local LKQ for about $80. At 302k miles my AC is still blowing nice and cold.

Call your local LKQ if there is one close to you. For me, that is always cheaper than ordering from them online.
    I do have one close, they are running $144 out of a car with 8000 miles. Seems good to me.

Before throwing random parts at your car because internet, have you actually confirmed the clutch is bad or is your belt just worn out of adjustment or......When the ac is running and your belt isn't tight it will squeak and rattle.

I've heard of a few people on the forum with ac clutch problems, though it's hard to comprehend how the pieces of the clutch to makes it's way into the sealed refrigerant lines.(impossible,unless the compressor self destructs inside, or the US car have their own proprietary ac clutch that's different from the rest of the automotive world).

If the clutch is hooped it makes the most sense to replace it with a low mileage used one like steve mentioned. If it's not then yeah, maybe do a little research on the googles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Erroniously_Spelt (06-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erroniously_Spelt View Post
    ...when I turned my A/C off, there was the clutch 'jangling' sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...have you actually confirmed the clutch is bad...
    I wondered the same thing. I don't know what a clutch "jangling" sound means.

• Does the AC function properly?
    • Does the compressor or clutch make noise while the AC is running?
    • Is there any noise coming from the compressor or clutch when the AC is not running?
    • Have you observed the clutch operation while someone else turns your AC on/off?
    • Exactly when does this "jangling" sound happen...and what does it sound like?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Could be a rattling air cleaner...My car makes a noise. Must need new wipers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Before throwing random parts at your car because internet, have you actually confirmed the clutch is bad or is your belt just worn out of adjustment or......When the ac is running and your belt isn't tight it will squeak and rattle.

I've heard of a few people on the forum with ac clutch problems, though it's hard to comprehend how the pieces of the clutch to makes it's way into the sealed refrigerant lines.(impossible,unless the compressor self destructs inside, or the US car have their own proprietary ac clutch that's different from the rest of the automotive world).

If the clutch is hooped it makes the most sense to replace it with a low mileage used one like steve mentioned. If it's not then yeah, maybe do a little research on the googles.
    My compressor self destructed on the inside. I was just throwing that out there that I caused myself a bigger problem by attempting to run the compressor anyway.

I doubt the insides of his compressor are bad, but ya never know.

The next question to ask, is does he have AC equipment? You will need an AC vaccum pump and a set of gauges to do the job right. I got mine at Harbor Freight, but I think Autozone rents the equipment out for free, just pay the refundable deposit.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2020),Top_Fuel (06-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The next question to ask, is does he have AC equipment?
    That was going to be my next question...lol. I tried explaining this to someone who thought they could swap an AC compressor and then just fill the system with a can of AC Pro.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, who would do something so amateur like use ac in a can I'd never do such a thing. Too often. That's almost as bad as repairing an ac line with hose clamps. Which I also may or may not have done.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-25-2020)