Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not the kind of Mirage video you want to see [police chase ends badly]

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My friend told me the other day that Crown Vics (like the cop car to the left in that photo) had an explosive gas tank problem.. just like the Ford Pinto.

So, ram the back of an old cop car hard enough, and kaboom.

Maybe newer Crown Vics had this problem fixed? And FYI, Crown Victoria's were built in Ontario.
    Gas tanks have been in the same spot in crown vics since the 80's. It doesn't look like they just explode, more like punctured then dumps a ton oh fuel which causes a fire and quickly. https://alexanderlaw.com/blog/2016/0...oln-town-cars/
    So run into the back of a 92-01 ford, lincoln or merc that's stopped while doing 60mph and it'll probably burn. I'd still probably rather be rear ended in one of those than a Mirage.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-02-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Gas tanks have been in the same spot in crown vics since the 80's. It doesn't look like they just explode, more like punctured then dumps a ton oh fuel which causes a fire and quickly. https://alexanderlaw.com/blog/2016/0...oln-town-cars/
    So run into the back of a 92-01 ford, lincoln or merc that's stopped while doing 60mph and it'll probably burn. I'd still probably rather be rear ended in one of those than a Mirage.
    Gruesome stuff. You should read the Phil Edmonston Lemon Aid Guide to used cars. Who knew a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO is a dressed up Dodge Caliber. Yikes. At least the Mirage is a real Mitsu, albeit a puny one. I'm going Buick next car.

There was even a Mitsubishi Dodge Dakota of the 2007 era.

Edit: I actually like lots of Dodge products over the years, I was just trying to make the point that BMW money for a Dodge Caliper... granted with a lot of differences, does seem like an economy car with a turbo I suppose. Much like an old EVO.
    Last edited by dspace9; 07-02-2020 at 07:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a person with a minitruckin' background, I once test-drove an old dodge/mitsubishi truck that had had some body work done and had both logos on it in different places. I had a stupid grin on my face driving it, but it's brake problems, etc, kept me from buying it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-02-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I drive propane and electric trucks at work. I like the old-school propane trucks way better than new and fancy electric powertrain /joystick driven forklift trucks. Finicky kind of job. Makes me want to fly an airplane now to be honest.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going Buick next car.
    Still going with Buick? I thought long and hard about my next car bc I'm getting tired of stick shift at times...and l thought between Toyota Camry V6 and Scion TC...but the Camry has a V6...yeah Camry other than that, going to drive this car for 2-3 years then sell it...I'm sure the dealer will throw me around next week. Also.... In regards to the video...Holy space balls man!!! That front end collision....guess I shouldn't be so worried if the mirage could take it.

Edit: my Toyota co-worker has gotten into my head a bit so l apologize if l talk too much about Toyota.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 10-06-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Still going with Buick?
    I wouldn't hold dspace9 to anything he posts. He almost pulled the trigger on a Mazda3 sedan manual since that Buick post.

He's like me. We like window shopping. Spending money on it is another thing!

There's noting wrong with dreaming about a V6 Camry. I find powerful cars boring. It's more fun making a Mirage giddy-up & go! I feel the same way about motorcycles. A big old Honda Gold Wing would be boring. I would much rather drive a peppy 650cc range bike. That's just me, however.

I am old enough where I have owned 3 other cars in the past that had less horsepower than a Mirage. None of them seem underpowered to me, but they were also manuals. How a person views a Mirage may be based on past experiences somewhat? For me, the 3-cylinder powertrain is the charm of the Mirage. Add a cylinder or a turbo - I would become less interested.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-10-2020),MirageRally (10-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark, l like that you're to the point. No fluff and are honest I think the reason I like the V6 is bc if you need power, you have it and is more durable? More cylinders=more durable?....?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-10-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Still going with Buick? I thought long and hard about my next car bc I'm getting tired of stick shift at times...and l thought between Toyota Camry V6 and Scion TC.
    There is a red Tc that visits my neighbour sometimes. Sharp looking car. But I like the Regal sportback. I saw one of those Regal's go by me earlier today. On my way to lenscrafters. The last Regal's are a beautiful car. Way nicer than the last Malibu's or the last Impala's.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a red Tc that visits my neighbour sometimes. Sharp looking car. But I like the Regal sportback. I saw one of those Regal's go by me earlier today. On my way to lenscrafters. The last Regal's are a beautiful car. Way nicer than the last Malibu's or the last Impala's.
    Scion were ahead of the time with the tc...l saw a 2016 today and it looked brand new...they're styling department was a game changer. Now if l found a Scion TC with a V6? Game over man, sign me up haha...l talked with a couple people on the Scion forum and some are doing that engine swap...but why? If you want more power buy a car with more power... Engine swaps, plus ecu re-tuning and ect. is expensive...l finally saw a 2014 Camry XSE V6 for sale in PA... But was 16k....ouch gotta save up more...I wish I had put payments on my car so I could build up my credit faster but that's what I'll do with the Camry...I'll put some down and pay monthly payments for the rest. My credit score is already above 750 so that's good. Lenscrafters? You can sign up for Zenni online and fill in your RX and they ship glasses to your door for like $7. I use 39dollarglasses.com and got magnetic clipon sunglasses...only bad thing about them is they are too big on me, they make me look like Dexter (kids show), and I have to have them looped around my head lol.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 10-10-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Lenscrafters? You can sign up for Zenni online and fill in your RX and they ship glasses to your door for like $7. I use 39dollarglasses.com and got magnetic clipon sunglasses...only bad thing about them is they are too big on me, they make me look like Dexter (kids show), and I have to have them looped around my head lol.
    Yea, but who wants to buy glasses without trying them on? Some stuff I think has to be done in person.

I think you gotta keep in mind that cars are like cheeseburgers, enjoyable, but you got nothing in the end and they all rust and get old.

Good credit should be built for future home ownership. That's my old fashioned attitude.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-11-2020)