Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Mitsu giving up on the U.S. market finally?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Is Mitsu giving up on the U.S. market finally?

Rumors swirl over Mitsubishi's departure from the U.S. market. Could this be true? Will the Mirage then be sold through Nissan dealers? It would be terrible if the Mirage is eliminated here in the States, speaking for myself!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    They still sell a fair number of cars here so they won't be folding up the tent any time soon. Are we going to see any completely "new" Mitsubishi products rolled out in North America? Probably not. But that doesn't mean they will completely abandon the market next week...or next year. Beyond that, who knows. It's a tough time to be in the car business...especially if you are a smaller player like Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome to the site, riokid!

Do you have a Mirage? (If not, my second guess is you have a Kia!)

I could see the Mirage being slotted under the Versa sedan and rebranded for sale at Nissan dealers. It makes sense in their product line-up since the Versa Note hatch was cancelled and the Versa sedan went further upscale and more expensive with its 2020 redesign.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Rebadged Mitsu? At least it's not a Plymouth or Eagle rebadged this time lol. Call it the Nissan Pooter.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I could see Mitsubishi go belly up, as well as so many other companies, as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc on the economy.

Mitsubishi is a big ship in the world yes, but sometimes the biggest ships sink too. Hopefully they stay afloat globally even if they disappear from the USA. That way parts won't become super expensive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I could see Mitsubishi go belly up, as well as so many other companies, as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc on the economy.

Mitsubishi is a big ship in the world yes, but sometimes the biggest ships sink too. Hopefully they stay afloat globally even if they disappear from the USA. That way parts won't become super expensive.
    It's the Alliance making the decisions. If Mitsubishi had remained independent, I don't think we would be having this discussion. Nissan has tanked & Mitsubishi may become the scapegoat.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-25-2020),Subcompact Culture (06-25-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just think it's crazy the genius behind the Nissan/Mitsu/Renault Alliance is that Carlos Gnosn guy, who escaped house arrest in Japan using hired ex-seals, and transported in a box for a Steinway piano, with holes cut out for oxygen. You can't make that up, so that is partly why Mitsubishi is on shakey ground.. the Alliance was a good idea on paper in some ways.

I even saw this on 60 minutes. That's the most press Mitsubishi has had in the USA in years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi just invested a lot of coin in its new headquarters. Not just the construction and stuff, but moving everything from California to Tennessee. They've recently sunk a bunch of cash into dealer remodels. That doesn't sound like something a company that's leaving the country would do. Conversely, no one plans for a pandemic or economic uncertainty.

All the rumors in the world can swirl around about Mitsubishi leaving the U.S. market. But the only ones that matter are those that come from Mitsubishi directly. Read 100 editorials about writers' opinions; view vitriolic Youtube videos by hacks who think they know. None of it matters until Mitsubishi says something.

The alliance's "pulling back" statement was a big deal and came from the horse's mouth. That's the thing that is giving so many people pause about the company's future, and rightfully so. But "pull back" doesn't necessarily mean "pull out." That being said, I don't know how much Mitsubishi Motors North America and pull back here without going away.

But again we simply won't know until and if it happens. I hope it doesn't.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Mitsubishi just invested a lot of coin in its new headquarters. Not just the construction and stuff, but moving everything from California to Tennessee. They've recently sunk a bunch of cash into dealer remodels. That doesn't sound like something a company that's leaving the country would do. Conversely, no one plans for a pandemic or economic uncertainty.

All the rumors in the world can swirl around about Mitsubishi leaving the U.S. market. But the only ones that matter are those that come from Mitsubishi directly. Read 100 editorials about writers' opinions; view vitriolic Youtube videos by hacks who think they know. None of it matters until Mitsubishi says something.

The alliance's "pulling back" statement was a big deal and came from the horse's mouth. That's the thing that is giving so many people pause about the company's future, and rightfully so. But "pull back" doesn't necessarily mean "pull out." That being said, I don't know how much Mitsubishi Motors North America and pull back here without going away.

But again we simply won't know until and if it happens. I hope it doesn't.
    Yeah, same here.

The dealerships around me just got rebuilt to the new Mitsubishi standard, so that would be a massive waste to just walk away.

To be honest i'd be far more upset about Mitsubishi leaving than Nissan, can't say there is a current product i'd buy from them if given the opportunity aside from (big)*maybe* the LEAF.

Mitsubishis are *at least* reliable and have a great warranty, i'm not sure why you would buy a Nissan product over a Subaru / Honda / Toyota / Hyundai / KIA.... especially with the questionable reliability they've had over the last decade.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 06-25-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What blows my mind is there is no data on the amount of vehicles with JATCO CVTs that hit 200k miles, or % to hit whatever miles? Nothing, nada. No press covering this besides writing about the Nissan lawsuit.