United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Article: Jalopnik Mitsubishi might eventually give up on us

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I don't think a full pull out by Mitsubishi is in the near future, but I do expect they will scale back the ambitious plans they had a few years ago for US market expansion.

Unfortunately, this likely means the Mirage will receive little or no R&D investment, and will likely be a badge-slapped Renault/Nissan product if they continue to sell it at all.

On the upside, it may also mean the current Mirage platform will soldier on for a few more years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I don't think a full pull out by Mitsubishi is in the near future, but I do expect they will scale back the ambitious plans they had a few years ago for US market expansion.

Unfortunately, this likely means the Mirage will receive little or no R&D investment, and will likely be a badge-slapped Renault/Nissan product if they continue to sell it at all.

On the upside, it may also mean the current Mirage platform will soldier on for a few more years.
    I am not really sure what the difference between the Eclipse Cross and Outlander is. A couple article mentioned a few engine differences. If the Mirage disappeared, it would be as if they sell one SUV with a PHEV option.

That's all most people want in 2020- a 1990s minivan that doesn't look like one. Will anyone want anything else in 2030?

A scaling back makes sense if it is a "wait and see" approach. With increasing sales on the Mirage and Outlander, I wonder if scaling back simply means to not expand lineup rather than preparing to pull out. It would be interesting if they stayed longer or even expanded footprint/lineup with better 2020 sales. That said, I do not know what kind of R&D budget they have and whether Nissan controls the purse.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What a click-baity title. Haha.

"He didn’t mention North America or the U.S. by name. But the company later confirmed that it indeed considers the U.S. a megamarket."

Yeah, I don't think any car manufacturer is doing well in this current economic situation. No one is talking about bad Nissan is doing. lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

The world might end!

Seems legit https://www.newscientist.com/article...r-maybe-later/

I didn't read it but it had a funny title.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)