Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another road trip but with the heavier wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    That's pretty good...especially if you were running the AC!

I'm pretty sure my car has never gone 70mph...LOL.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There are highways in bc that have a 75mph speed limit. From Kamloops towards Vancouver.

You don't need a motorcycle helmet in Alberta. Apparently turbans are just as safe
    I traveled through North Dakota, Minnesota, & Wisconsin yesterday. North Dakota is 75 mph on the interstate. I was driving with my brother's pick up for part of our trip, & we set the cruise @ 80 mph. Minnesota & Wisconsin is 70 mph. Thus, we went around 75 mph. My brother lives in northeast Wisconsin, & I live in southwest Wisconsin. I left my Mirage at small airport ($5/day parking) in Chippewa Falls before heading out west together.

Driving my brother's full size GMC pickup for 8 hours & switching back to my Mirage for the remaining 2.5 hour drive is quite a switch.

Wisconsin helmet laws - Anyone under age 18 (or someone with a learner's permit) must wear a helmet. That includes passengers under the age of 18, too.

I towed my camper on the weekend on a 4hr trip down **** highways. Big difference between the car, cruise at 60mph at 1700rpm didn't slow down on the hills at all. But it's a typical dodge so I looked like I was hammered the entire time trying to keep it between the ditches. It really made me appreciate how tight the Mirage steering is, and how cheap it is to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I cant believe it. I drove from Atlanta to Charleston for $18 bucks roughly. I avg 39 mpg going 75 mph 90% of the way. Not bad for an extra 12lbs of our tire/wheel combo. I was expecting low 30s on account of the cheap Barums but no. What a great lil car.
    I also have the Barums tires (w/aftermarket alloys) on my hatch -- tires came with the when i bought it and have 9/32 threads left.

Any thoughts on these tires? Good bad? I know they are cheap but not sure how they affect fuel economy.

I end to get an alignment check -- nervous to find out how bad the rear alignment is.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    I also have the Barums tires (w/aftermarket alloys) on my hatch -- tires came with the when i bought it and have 9/32 threads left.

Any thoughts on these tires? Good bad? I know they are cheap but not sure how they affect fuel economy.

I end to get an alignment check -- nervous to find out how bad the rear alignment is.
    I liked my Barums so much I put them on both our Mirages. The tread is nice and deep, so even with a rear axle out of spec, like mine is, they wear nicely. The mpg has gone down, avg 39 combined now. The taller tire handles potholes better too and highway noise is quieter since switching from the 165s. I do miss getting 50 mpg sometimes though. Overall, for the $ a good B+ tire. What type of wheels do you have?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's pretty good...especially if you were running the AC!

I'm pretty sure my car has never gone 70mph...LOL.
    You've never taken your Mirage over 70mph? Why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You've never taken your Mirage over 70mph? Why?

My G4 rarely goes under 70mph. Got to keep up with traffic flow, and still gets high 30's mpg.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    My G4 rarely goes under 70mph. Got to keep up with traffic flow, and still gets high 30's mpg.
    Same here and at first I thought it would be bad for long term engine reliability having the car stay at 3k rpms on the highway. However, after reading on here these little engines can take it and 3k isnt that high to begin with, Im more confident on long roadtrips now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I liked my Barums so much I put them on both our Mirages. The tread is nice and deep, so even with a rear axle out of spec, like mine is, they wear nicely. The mpg has gone down, avg 39 combined now. The taller tire handles potholes better too and highway noise is quieter since switching from the 165s. I do miss getting 50 mpg sometimes though. Overall, for the $ a good B+ tire. What type of wheels do you have?
    Here's what I have......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    Here's what I have......
    I got that exact same set up. Vision Cross 14 x 5.5" Mark and Top Fuel said they should be fine, and Ive saved alot of money following their advice this past year. Good looking subtle wheels, not flashy but well crafted. There a miniscule amount of power loss lugging those around in acclerations IMO. But worth it in my opinion.