Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another road trip but with the heavier wheels

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Another road trip but with the heavier wheels

Yo! We're driving yet again to see my parents in Charleston, SC. We are taking the G4 that has the new 14 x 4.5" alloy wheels and Barum Brillantis2 175 65 r14 tires. I already feel the engine is a tad more worked after putting these on so I'll report my fuel economy for all who go with this combo in the future. Considering the last road trip I mostly did 75 mph with the original OEM wheels/tires and was only avg 35 mpg I'm guessing it's going to be worse. It won't break my heart though those Barums on my hatch have Zero uneven wear after 5k miles and my hatch is slightly out of spec too. Fuel economy suffers though but it's a trade off because the beefy tread really holds up to potholes fantastic and road noise is less.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The G4 is a nice car and everything, but not having the hatchback's room for stuff would be a dealbreaker for me. All depends on what you use your car for. 75 mph is fast, so you're not going to get the max MPGs in your trip.

I'm surprised roads are so fast in the USA now. I drove across NY state and Pennsylvania in 2007. 55 was the max speed, and at 56 the cops pull you over and ask for your VISA is what I am told.

Then I drive across half of Michigan in 2019, and the speed limits are way higher, everyone is flying, no cops on the road. So I dunno

Edit: the no helmet required law for Motorcyclists in Michigan is kinda crazy lol
    Last edited by dspace9; 06-28-2020 at 12:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The G4 is a nice car and everything, but not having the hatchback's room for stuff would be a dealbreaker for me. All depends on what you use your car for. 75 mph is fast, so you're not going to get the max MPGs in your trip.

I'm surprised roads are so fast in the USA now. I drove across NY state and Pennsylvania in 2007. 55 was the max speed, and at 56 the cops pull you over and ask for your VISA is what I am told.

Then I drive across half of Michigan in 2019, and the speed limits are way higher, everyone is flying, no cops on the road. So I dunno

Edit: the no helmet required law for Motorcyclists in Michigan is kinda crazy lol
    The G4 has a big class leading trunk and more passenger rear legroom than an Altima. Visibility is also better too IMO. Yes New York and California are what's known as "nanny states". They're are pros and cons to living in one. Speed limits is a con, legalizing herb or decriminalization is a pro. The problem is cost of living and high taxes in those states is driving much of the middle class out to southern states. The public schools down here are terrible though with a gestapo like police force, but the roads are nicer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The G4 has a big class leading trunk and more passenger rear legroom than an Altima. Visibility is also better too IMO. Yes New York and California are what's known as "nanny states". They're are pros and cons to living in one. Speed limits is a con, legalizing herb or decriminalizatio
    Rear visibility on my Mirage hatch sucks. The rear window is about 9 inches' height, and with the big spoiler, that cuts visibility like another 3 inches. One guaranteed better with automatic Mirages compared to manuals is getting into reverse.

My Mirage from day 1, has had this super tricky R gear.. typical style, like over and down (I think you had a Honda manual at one point?) but it's hard to get it into gear. Some days its smooth as butter, but often times not. Dunno, 4th gear vibrates. Nothing is perfect.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    One guaranteed better with automatic Mirages compared to manuals is getting into reverse.

My Mirage from day 1, has had this super tricky R gear.. typical style, like over and down (I think you had a Honda manual at one point?) but it's hard to get it into gear. Some days its smooth as butter, but often times not.
    Most manual transmissions are like that.

Shift into second gear, then reverse. Should help make it easier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The G4 has a big class leading trunk and more passenger rear legroom than an Altima. Visibility is also better too IMO. Yes New York and California are what's known as "nanny states". They're are pros and cons to living in one. Speed limits is a con, legalizing herb or decriminalization is a pro. The problem is cost of living and high taxes in those states is driving much of the middle class out to southern states. The public schools down here are terrible though with a gestapo like police force, but the roads are nicer.
    New York has stricter speed laws. In California, it depends on where. Within city limit, some are 55 and some are 65, but on an Interstate highway you can do 75.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Aren't speed limits set according to the area's population?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Aren't speed limits set according to the area's population?
    https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt...hwasa16076.pdf

https://interestingengineering.com/h...its-calculated

There are highways in bc that have a 75mph speed limit. From Kamloops towards Vancouver.

You don't need a motorcycle helmet in Alberta. Aparently turbans are just as safe
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I cant believe it. I drove from Atlanta to Charleston for $18 bucks roughly. I avg 39 mpg going 75 mph 90% of the way. Not bad for an extra 12lbs of our tire/wheel combo. I was expecting low 30s on account of the cheap Barums but no. What a great lil car.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-29-2020),inuvik (06-29-2020)