Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

I agree, we ordered a set of aftermarket steel wheels for a car years ago. One rim was damaged and the dealer had none in stock. The aftermarket wheels were 5" wide and were not hubcentric. Never did get the centering rings so they're a pita to mount on the car. And they're noticeably heavier than the stock wheels. Aftermarket steel wheels typically rust faster than oem wheels too from my experience. You probably won't have that problem though.

If it were I, I'd go with the used aluminum wheels over new jobber steel ones. If they are all straight that is.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (07-08-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Whats your budget exactly for new wheels and new tires? $500? What about finding some used 175 65 r14s tires for $20 a pop, Id say used 165s too but those can be hard to find at a used tire place, skip going online, and getting those $60 dollar Vision Cross alloys? Your looking at $400 total for everything, including installation. Most places charge $20 per tire to install. Can you swing that? Ride around on some half wore tires for a few months, go back in to the tire shop and drop another $240 to get new tires put on your nice alloys and be done with it. Thats what Id do if that initial $600 is a no-no on the budget.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What about finding some used 175 65 r14s tires for $20 a pop
    Good point. Got any examples of 175/64R14 tires selling for $20/each anywhere?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In LA? No idea, but theres at least 5 used tire stands in my neck of the woods and they dont post on the internet. You just call them and hope their English is understandable lol. 175s are pretty common.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Also my Barums were $37 a pop new, so finding something with half the tread for $20 isnt outside the realm of possibility.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...used tire stands in my neck of the woods...don't post on the internet.
    Hmmm...I think I'm familiar with their "showroom"...

Name:  used_tires.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  66.5 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-09-2020 at 12:54 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-09-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hmmm...I think I'm familiar with their "showroom"...

Name:  used_tires.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  66.5 KB
    Lol. Yep, thats pretty much it. Pass by one of those everyday on my way home from work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol. Yep, thats pretty much it. Pass by one of those everyday on my way home from work.
    There’s one in my neck of the woods called Camel Towing where I’ve gotten a few sets of used tires. http://cameltowingmn.com

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    There’s one in my neck of the woods called Camel Towing where I’ve gotten a few sets of used tires. http://cameltowingmn.com
    How have I never thought of that name for a Towing business before...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You are comparing a $35 steel rim to $149 factory rim.

https://www.autorimshop.com/mitsubis...QaAo9oEALw_wcB

You are missing the point here. If you can get alloy factory rims for a few dollars less than cheap steel rims, you have found a huge bargain! You are comparing $150 steel rims to $600 alloy rims (that can be had for a lot less than new steel rims).

I paid $40 just to replace a lost Mirage hub cap for my steel wheels, & it was used. If you could find a good deal on factory alloy rims, I would not pay extra for cheap steel ones! I would make sure the lug nuts come with the use alloy wheels, too.

Personally, I like the looks of this factory alloy wheel that was designed for a Mirage (14" x 4.5") better than any aftermarket wheel I have seen anyone share on this forum. I am not a big fan of adding 6"+ wide rims on a Mirage unless you know for certain you are going to use 185 or plus wide tires.

If I was sticking with 165/65r14 (22.4") or 175/65r14 (23") tires, these factory rims would be my 1st choice. Especially, if the price was right!
    Ooooh I didn't realize those OEM wheels are alloy, thought all OEM are steel. Anyway, I called the place and the car is no longer there. Too bad, that would've been a good find! Thanks Top_Fuel for the tip

So I'm still confused about something. It looks like everyone on here is pro-alloy wheels and not a fan of steel. However, many have a set of steel wheels for Winter. I know it doesn't snow where I live, but there's a chance I might take a trip to somewhere that does. I don't have space to store Winter wheels and tires, so shouldn't I just go with steel for its multi-purpose usage?