Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    How can you tell they’re spray painted? In general, should I avoid non-silver alloy wheels? For instance, those Vision Cross wheels in grey.
    I can't tell the used rims are spray painted for sure. I couldn't tell your current wheels were spray painted either.

Don't let my comments sway you against Vision Cross wheels in grey or black. My comments are about people who have painted their silver wheels black on their own.

Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2020 at 12:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just wanna clarify some info...
    I can use both 165/65r14 and 175/65r14 on the car.
    175 is easier to find but reduces mpg.
    165 gives best mpg and is better in rain and up hill.
    Is there any other advantage/disadvantage between 165 and 175?
    If American Tire Depot suggests 165/65r14 Royal tires (that come with a 50,000 mile warranty) for an affordable price, I would give them high consideration. Their only other 165/65r14 choice is the factory original Dunlop Enasave tires, which are over double the price.

If someone is having trouble finding a suitable 165/65r14 (22.4") tire, I suggest looking at 175/65r14 (23") tires next. 175/65r14 tires (2.7% variance) are within a 3% diameter variance. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with 175/65r14 tires on a Mirage, and that includes using factory or aftermarket 14" rims.

If you really like the Vision Cross wheels in grey, I suggest going that route. It may be a little extra money, but you may be happier in the long run. Hub caps are a pain in the butt & never really look that great. This is coming from someone using steel wheels with hub caps.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    People will say the GT comes with 15 inch tires. Still I would start with 14 165's. Maybe a set of used ones, but beware they wear out fast so look closely at the thread.
    14" x 5" or 14" x 5.5" rims can be hard to find on other sites. American Tire Depot have a few good 14" x 5.5" rim options, & I would consider those. 15" rims and 15" tires will add cost to the deal. If you want to explore a 15" option, however, Top Fuel has made a good case for going that route on the forum. I respect his opinion on all this, & his points are quite valid, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Vision Cross come with their own cool lugnuts and wrench too. Everytime I see my girl's G4 wheels I get jealous. Plus the were almost half the cost at $60 per. OEM Mitsubishi steel wheels are a $100 per.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Vision Cross come with their own cool lug nuts and wrench too.
    These little items matter! I think many new aftermarket wheels will come with their own lug nuts as part of the package. This helps insure the proper lug nuts are used. Using the wrong lug nuts can create issues. Here's a short example of that to watch -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWgsF_zaPo

If you buy the used rims, you may have to purchase your own lug nuts. Those rims may need a hub-centric rings, too. All those things add to the cost. You may end up with inferior used wheels that really didn't save you a lot of money in the end.

Since you don't have a lot of experience with all this, I would rely on a company like American Tire Depot to take care of you. If you don't have the means to do these things yourself, free tire rotations alone are worth some money in my opinion.

Plus, I want to hear how you like those Royal tires, too!

Personally, I don't mind the look of their cheaper silver Raceline 146S wheels, but I don't blame you for liking the grey or black look of the Vision Cross for a little more money, too.

https://americantiredepot.com/wheels...package=248023

Once you get your new wheels, several used ones will appear on-line. That' life! Make a decision & don't look back on it.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If American Tire Depot suggests 165/65r14 Royal tires (that come with a 50,000 mile warranty)
    The Royal tires are actually 175/65r14. American Tire Depot said 175 tires are cheaper than 165 (I didn't ask them how much more expensive 165 ones would be). Ideally, I want to stick to factory size (165) to avoid any future problems like the one I'm having, but if 175 works just fine and doesn't make a huge difference in performance and just slightly less mpg, then I'm ok with that

I'm going to see what's the best price they can come up with for alloy wheels and tires plus installation. I don't want to spend more than $500. If they can't offer that, I'm fine with just steel wheels. I know hubcaps don't look as great, but on the bright side you can change them out easily when you want a new look without breaking the bank!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The Royal tires are actually 175/65r14. American Tire Depot said 175 tires are cheaper than 165 (I didn't ask them how much more expensive 165 ones would be). Ideally, I want to stick to factory size (165) to avoid any future problems like the one I'm having, but if 175 works just fine and doesn't make a huge difference in performance and just slightly less mpg, then I'm ok with that

I'm going to see what's the best price they can come up with for alloy wheels and tires plus installation. I don't want to spend more than $500. If they can't offer that, I'm fine with just steel wheels. I know hubcaps don't look as great, but on the bright side you can change them out easily when you want a new look without breaking the bank!
    The 175 65 r14 I got on both our Mirages work great. Your mpg will still be good but not excellent, especially in LA traffic with the AC on. Think Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" stuck on the 405 in 100° weather and in a little Japanese sh!tbox. I know would probably get out and go on a vigilante rampage too lol. Great flick. Get the Vision Cross with 175s and pray its around $600. Really makes the lil hatch pop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What offset number should I get?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    What offset number should I get?
    If you are getting the Vision Cross 14 x 5.5 wheels, you probably don't have a choice.
    As best as I can determine, this wheel only comes in 1 offset: +38mm

That offset is just fine. To understand what that means, here is a diagram showing a stock wheel/tire and then the Vision Cross 14 x 5.5 wheel/tire on top of it. The Vision Cross wheel will stick out about 3/4 of an inch more than the stock wheel...which is a good thing for better appearance.

Name:  vision.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  58.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-07-2020),MCMfan92 (07-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The 175 65 r14 I got on both our Mirages work great. Your mpg will still be good but not excellent, especially in LA traffic with the AC on. Think Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" stuck on the 405 in 100° weather and in a little Japanese sh!tbox. I know would probably get out and go on a vigilante rampage too lol. Great flick. Get the Vision Cross with 175s and pray its around $600. Really makes the lil hatch pop.
    I've got 175/70r14 on some 14x5.5 MB Vectors (unfortunately now discontinued) and I really haven't noticed that big of a hit in MPG at all, but I'm also not sitting in traffic all day

Last edited by MCMfan92; 07-08-2020 at 01:05 AM.