Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No one has mentioned this yet, but you will be able to sell the ones you have on Craigslist of FB Marketplace once you have the new ones to recoup some of your money.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    As I mentioned before I spent a total of $600 on brand great looking Vision Cross wheels, new cheap tires, and installation. This is a solid deal that that tire shop you posted has possession of. You live in LA and NYC, $600 is what you'd spend on a dinner date on avg. Id think considering you've lived in 2 of these most expensive areas in the country you can swing this or work out a payment plan with them. I thought I saw they do financing with wheels there on your link? This IMO is better than further damaging your body frame, which can be really expensive. These are what the Vision cross with 175s look like.Name:  20200429_104354.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  96.1 KB

Its well worth it imo.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Upclose with 175 65 r14 Barum Brillantis2 tires that were $37 a tire.Name:  20200429_102425.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  96.7 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-30-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ive bought used cars that I thought were in good shape only to find out a month later I was going to have to put another grand into it. It sucks but its the reality of used car buying. You got played on the wheels, but at least its just wheels and not an engine or tranny. After seeing your body damage from a dip, I wouldnt put it off. Just saying.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    No one has mentioned this yet, but you will be able to sell the ones you have on Craigslist of FB Marketplace once you have the new ones to recoup some of your money.
    I am aware of this option. I live in a tiny apartment though with no extra storage. I guess I can store them at my parents' for a while until I get a good sale price for them, but they also live 2 hours away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    As I mentioned before I spent a total of $600 on brand great looking Vision Cross wheels, new cheap tires, and installation. This is a solid deal that that tire shop you posted has possession of. You live in LA and NYC, $600 is what you'd spend on a dinner date on avg. Id think considering you've lived in 2 of these most expensive areas in the country you can swing this or work out a payment plan with them. I thought I saw they do financing with wheels there on your link? This IMO is better than further damaging your body frame, which can be really expensive. These are what the Vision cross with 175s look like.Name:  20200429_104354.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  96.1 KB

Its well worth it imo.
    That looks really nice!

Hah. I've never ever spent that much on a dinner date. I've never spent more than $80 on dinner, period. I am one of those tight-asses when it comes to budgeting Every big city still requires working class people to do what the rich people don't want to do and can afford to pay someone to do it for them. You definitely can live in a big city on a low income, but the quality of life is greatly compromised. I do want to take care of it eventually, but also trying to not put too much stress on it, especially now that the economy is in limbo and I'm getting a lot of my hours reduced at work

I got a quote for $500 including tax and installation fee for 4 Vision black snow wheels and Advanta tires (come with 45,000 miles warranty). That's the lowest quote I can get so far that includes everything. They also offer free tire rotation and alignment during the life of the tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Put your set of tires and rims up for sale to see what kind of interest there is. Don't forget you can post them here on the forum. Those wheels get a lot of attention here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there a big difference in performance between steel and alloy wheels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because they're steel or alloy, no... not that you'd notice. An alloy wheel will very slightly flex less, but you wouldn't notice that.

What you might notice is WEIGHT.

Your 17's are probably HEAVY. I'd bet they're on the order of 18-20 pounds each. Lightweight 17's are still typically over 15-16 pounds, and yours don't look like they're light. (light wheels usually aren't cheap)

Alloy wheels are typically lighter than equivalent steel wheels. But... in your case, you have MUCH larger alloy wheels. Going back to stock Mirage steel wheels would actually be lighter by a lot!

If you're paying more than near zero for wheels, I'd go ahead and get a good set of reasonably light alloys.

Konig Helium is my current favorite. Dirt cheap, very light at under 12 pounds (especially for their price), and available in bronze, silver or black:
    https://www.amazon.com/Konig-YHI-Rue...dp/B004Q9T2OQ/

Wrap them with an appropriate 175 or 185 width tire and you'll have a nice lightweight wheel and tire package that won't rub on your Mirage.

They'll be significantly lighter than what you have, and you WILL notice that difference in weight. Steering will feel lighter, acceleration will be quicker/easier, and even braking will take a lighter touch.
    Simplify and add lightness.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-01-2020),Top_Fuel (07-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Because they're steel or alloy, no... not that you'd notice. An alloy wheel will very slightly flex less, but you wouldn't notice that.

What you might notice is WEIGHT.

Your 17's are probably HEAVY. I'd bet they're on the order of 18-20 pounds each. Lightweight 17's are still typically over 15-16 pounds, and yours don't look like they're light. (light wheels usually aren't cheap)

Alloy wheels are typically lighter than equivalent steel wheels. But... in your case, you have MUCH larger alloy wheels. Going back to stock Mirage steel wheels would actually be lighter by a lot!

If you're paying more than near zero for wheels, I'd go ahead and get a good set of reasonably light alloys.

Konig Helium is my current favorite. Dirt cheap, very light at under 12 pounds (especially for their price), and available in bronze, silver or black:
    https://www.amazon.com/Konig-YHI-Rue...dp/B004Q9T2OQ/

Wrap them with an appropriate 175 or 185 width tire and you'll have a nice lightweight wheel and tire package that won't rub on your Mirage.

They'll be significantly lighter than what you have, and you WILL notice that difference in weight. Steering will feel lighter, acceleration will be quicker/easier, and even braking will take a lighter touch.
    The rims suggested above are 15" x 6.5". 185-215 wide tires would be recommended for that rim width. I am not saying 175 wide tires won't work, but it's not within the recommended tire size. I know some have mounted narrow tires on wide rims without issue. If I were buying new wheels & tires, I would make sure they are a good match.

If you decided to use 185/55r15 tires, a 6.5" wide rim wouldn't be a problem. Top Fuel has a nice thread on 185/55r15 LRR Bridgestone tires that also wear extremely well.

Keep in mind -
    5" wide rims are commended for 155-185 wide tires.
    5.5" wide rims are commended for 165-195 wide tires.
    6" wide rims are commended for 175-205 wide tires.
    6.5" wide rims are commended for 185-215 wide tires.

Personally, I think 5"-6" wide rims are a better fit for Mirage size tires. Even with the extra width, the suggested rims are still quite light, however. Just for comparison, my Forester has 6.5" wide rims with 215 wide tires on them. Adding a rim that's 6.5" wide to my Mirage would seem a bit odd to me, but I know guys do it.

I wouldn't buy 6.5" wide rims, unless I have decided to use 185/55r15 tires with them. There are some good tire choices in that size. Like I said in an earlier post, you have to decide what you want. I sort of prefer the look of factory alloy wheels over any of the aftermarket stuff. Then again, I don't see myself ever changing my black steel rims with hubcaps. I have other things that I would rather spend money on.