Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Hi all,

If we haven't talked, I'm new here. I got my Mirage almost 2 weeks ago. At the time of purchase, I did not realize the tires and wheels on this car are larger than factory size. Wheels are 17" and tires are 205 40 17. They look like this:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 12.24.42 PM.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  93.0 KB

People on here advised me of possible rubbing. I had heard rear noises that could'd been rubbing a few times before but I just experienced a full one yesterday. I was driving at night and it was dark so I did not see a dip on the street. I went over it without slowing down (I wasn't driving very fast though since it was a residential area, maybe 20-25mph). I heard a very loud noise in the back. I knew a rubbing just happened. When I got home, this is what I found
    Name:  0.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  83.6 KB

The rear passenger fender got pulled inside out. Driver rear side seems ok. Of all the times I heard rear noises, it's always the passenger side, not sure why. This is definitely concerning. Also my personal driving experience with these tires and wheels is I feel they make the car bumpier. I had a mechanic test drive the car and he said the tires seem noisy. MPG suffers as well. The best I was able to get on highway is 35, according to the car's mpg screen. I'm now on a mission to swap these out for factory size ASAP. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they'd be willing to do it at no cost, but I doubt they will since it's an used car dealership and not a Mitsubishi one. If you're thinking about getting 17" wheels, my advise is DON'T, unless you live somewhere that has good and even roads.

Do you think it's still safe to drive with this fender?
    Last edited by newtomit; 06-28-2020 at 08:03 PM.