Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    How’s the grip on the small wheels during the rain and uphill/downhill?
    You'll be far better off with a closer to stock size(narrow) that those 17's in heavy rain and slushy snow.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    So far $366 is the cheapest I've found for full set tire and wheel
    There's a lot more to buying wheels/tires than finding the cheapest price. And read the fine print on that website. That price is before installation and "other fees." That $366 set of wheels and tires will be almost $500 before you are out the door.

I'm also going to contact some used tire shops and see if they'd be willing to do an exchange/trade-in to reduce the cost.
    Since you've got essentially new tires on the car now, that might be a good approach. And being in a big city, there are probably lots of used tire/wheel shops around.

...I might just drive it how it is for some more time and hope for the best!
    As long as you don't go crashing over speed bumps at 30+ mph, you should be OK for now. You have time to figure this out so you don't have to rush out and make a purchase today.

Keep this in mind while you are shopping... You are not limited to 14" wheels/tires. There are good 15" options available, too. This thread will walk you through how I put together my own 15" wheels/tires.

Edit -

If you're on a budget and need an easy way out of this, look for used 14" and 15" Miata wheels or 15" Mini Cooper wheels (NOTE: Don't use Miata wheels because the hub bore is too small!) . These should all bolt on to your Mirage without any issues (assuming the tires aren't outrageously huge). Here are some examples in your area...

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...150264948.html
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-08-2020 at 01:32 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Be patient and browse around for what you can find locally. With time I'm sure you'll find the right set. Don't let the tire thing get you down, it is easy to fix.

Though Mark has had a bad experience with a OEM Enasave, I'm still on my original factory set and they are serving their purpose just fine. Just another data point to consider. Mark has his opinions on tires and loves to share them.

Browse your local Craigslist and you might find an OEM set of tires there for cheap. Maybe you can trade or sell your set at a profit since they are so fancy.
    I am guilty of having opinions of tires, but I am not the only individual on this forum that has had a sidewall issue with Dunlop Enasave tires. At the time of purchase, a pair of Federal SS657 tires were 1/3 the cost of a pair of Dunlop Enasave tires. There's no way I am paying 3 times more for a tire that I don't trust.

I am still using a pair of Dunlop Enasave tires, & they are not terrible tires (outside of sidewall concerns). I don't see anything about them that justifies their price. If someone was switching out factory rims/tires for something else, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them in this situation (provided the price is right). That is how I picked up a pair of steel rims from Dirk.

I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion about tires for a Mirage. I do think you have to be careful with wheel/tire packages that may include cheap unknown tires. They may be fine, but it may be worth a little more money to get something a little more proven.

Since your TPMS sensors must be added to any tire package, having them mounted & balance prior to shipping isn't that important.

I would decide what you want, & then I would ask local tire shops to help you find the best deal. Take your time & shop around a bit. Also look for used ones. A local junk yard may have a set of Mirage wheels available.

165/65r14 & 175/55r15 factory tires are not common sizes in the States, but more options have appeared the past couple years. If someone is not happy with the choices available, 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 (both 23" tires) will provide plenty of options to pick from.

Steve had really good luck with Falken tires, but he also had to give up on the 165/65r14 size to buy them. He's been using 175/65r14 tires for over 300,000 miles now without issue.

Dirk had good luck with affordable tires from Discount Tire. I believe the 175/65r14 Barum tires (made in the Czech Republic) have served Discount Tire customers well. Good tire shops want return customers. They will usually weed out the junk tires for you. Ordering unknown tires on line would be more of risk, & you would still need someone to set them up with your sensors.

I am just sharing examples of what others have done besides myself. Getting a set of wheels off a wrecked Mirage may be a good place to start looking. That's provided the wheels haven't been damaged.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since your TPMS sensors must be added to any tire package, having them mounted & balance prior to shipping isn't that important.
    "Must" is a strong word here. If you know how to use a tire pressure gauge and can ignore the little yellow light on the dashboard, you certainly don't need to worry about tire pressure monitors. On my Mirage, I don't.

YMMV. My wife likes having that feature on her car, so I keep the system functional for her. But, I'm not the least bit worries about non-functioning TPMS on my car.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    "Must" is a strong word here. If you know how to use a tire pressure gauge and can ignore the little yellow light on the dashboard, you certainly don't need to worry about tire pressure monitors. On my Mirage, I don't.

YMMV. My wife likes having that feature on her car, so I keep the system functional for her. But, I'm not the least bit worries about non-functioning TPMS on my car.
    You're concerned about the word "must"?

If you have 4 working sensors, I see no reason to not use/keep them. Replacement sensors are going to run around $30/tire. If you change your wheel set up, why give those sensors away? Especially when they are already programmed to your vehicle. Buying replacement sensors & having someone program them to your Mirage may even cost more than $30/tire. It may be more like $50/tire.

Some tire shops may not work on his tires if his sensors aren't working. Maybe "must" is a bit strong, but I wouldn't give away $120+ in working sensors.

Sure, you can live without sensors. I've used winter tires without them for 7 years now. I also had those tires mounted & balanced when they weren't mounted on my vehicles. I also switch out tires myself twice a year (spring & late fall). If you don't do those things yourself, I would recommend keeping your working sensors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Maybe "must" is a bit strong, but...
    That's all I said.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I checked your website, I have the same Vision Cross wheels on our G4 sedan. Theyre good looking and deliver not bad fuel economy. The cheap tires looked decent too on there. I paid about $600 total for new wheels,tires, and installation. Thats cheap compared to doing the same thing on a bigger car. Its worth it IMO compared to what you got going on. Look at pick n pulls too, you could find some steel wheels real cheap I imagine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.carid.com/vision-wheels/...467794581.html

I keep seeing this wheel showing up as a match for the Mirage, but it has 5 slots and I believe the Mirage has 4?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    https://www.carid.com/vision-wheels/...467794581.html

I keep seeing this wheel showing up as a match for the Mirage, but it has 5 slots and I believe the Mirage has 4?
    No, those won't fit. For basically the same $$ you can get these in the OEM 14" or 15" size.

https://www.carid.com/konig-wheels/i...ce-465460.html

Carid shows them as out of stock but Summit Racing shows a ship date of about 3 weeks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...ibanner=SREPD2
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-29-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Additional info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Called dealership. They said they don't have those tire and wheel size in stock to do a swap.

Called a few used tire shops around here and they said they don't do trade-in. Kinda surprised. I guess it's a not a common thing anymore.

I'm not going to stress too much about it. I'll keep driving how it is until I find something affordable. Just need to be careful going over speed humps and dips. The humps actually haven't given me any problems, it's the damn dips.