Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't trust a used car dealership to suggest the best wheel/tire package. Unless you know what you want, I wouldn't even approach a dealership. You need to indicate what you are looking for in a wheel/tire package first. I wouldn't go into this without a good understanding of what you want.

Looking at what you have 205/40r17 -

205 is wide, & 165-185 are better (don't hear of rubbing issues).

40 is low profile (rougher ride), & 55-65 aspect ratio would be better.

17" rims are quite large, & 14-15" would be better.

Your rims also appear to be wide, but that's hard to tell in a pic.
    I wouldn't go over 6" wide rims for a Mirage, & 5" - 5.5" may be better.

5" wide rims are recommended for 155-185 tires (these are not an easy aftermarket option to find, however).
    5.5" wide rims are recommended for 165-195 tires
    6" wide rims are recommended for 175-205 tires

Personally, I'd prefer 4.5-5.5" wide rims for a Mirage, but others do use 6" wide rims.

14" rims & matching tires sizes
    165/65r14 (22.4" diameter) are factory size tires, but 175/65r14 (23" diameter) tires would give you more tire options. These are the two most commonly used 14" tire sizes used by Mirage owners.

15" rims & matching tire sizes
    175/55r15 (22.6" diameter) are factory size tires, but 185/55r15 (23" diameter) tires would give you more tire options. These are probably the two most commonly used 15" tire sizes used by Mirage owners.

Aftermarket small rims are not as common/popular. You will have fewer choices/options than someone shopping for Corvette rims.

14" wheels may give you a better ride (higher profile tire)
    15" wheels may give you better handling (lower profile tire)
    The difference between these two wouldn't be that great, however.

I would shop on-line before approaching a local tire shop or dealer. Find something you like first, & see how close they can match that along with price.

Example of shopping on line for 14-15" rims that are 5-5.5" wide -

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/st...4x3.94%2C4x100

There are others like tirerack.com & discounttire.com. Just search for rims that fit your car.

Example of shopping for 165/65r14 tires -

https://simpletire.com/catalog?width...rice&order=asc

Example of shopping for 175/65r14 tires -

https://simpletire.com/catalog?resul...m=14&zip=53581

Example of shopping for 175/55r15 tires -

https://simpletire.com/catalog?resul...m=15&zip=53581

Example of shopping for 185/55r15 tires -

https://simpletire.com/catalog?resul...m=15&zip=53581

These are examples. I used the same vendor to show the difference in selection when looking at different sizes. I would check out tirerack.com, discounttire.com, tires-easy.com, walmart.com, etc..... when tire shopping. Then I would see what my local tire shop can do for me. It's not a crime to be informed when shopping for something.
    Thank you! Very informative! I definitely knew I wanted the 2 factory sizes, but didn’t know about the other options that are easier to find!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Don't rush out and buy something. If you find something, post about it and we'll give you some feedback before you spend any more money.
    Thank you! Everyone on here has been awesome

I’m trying to not stress myself out too much about this. I’m feeling a little but down on myself for getting this car, as I’m also finding out some other cosmetic damages I didn’t see at the time of purchase. I don’t regret choosing a Mirage at all as I really love the model. I just feel like I didn’t do a good job at deciding to get this particular car. However, the engine is checked out all good, so I guess that’s the most important thing when buying a used car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Thank you! Very informative! I definitely knew I wanted the 2 factory sizes, but didn’t know about the other options that are easier to find!
    The other two sizes are slightly larger, but they will not cause any of the issues you are facing. If you aren't happy with the factory size tire options, I wouldn't rule the other two sizes out. As you can see by my examples, the number of options really increase. Personally, I feel the Mirage sold in the States should come with 175/65r14 or 185/55r15 tires, because those sizes are way more common here.

Some tire vendors may not want to go outside the recommended factory sizes, but it can be done. For example, Dirk has gone to 175/65r14 tires on both of his Mirages when upgrading to alloy wheels.

If you are considering cheaper tires, I would get the opinion of forum members. Some have had bad luck with cheap Chinese tires. I am not recommending everything listed on a tire site. I am just sharing what's out there.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just feel like I didn’t do a good job at deciding to get this particular car. However, the engine is checked out all good, so I guess that’s the most important thing when buying a used car.
    Honestly, I think the standard 14" tires have done a good job over my 6+ years driving my Mirage. The Dunlops and Bridgestones I have had are good performers. They bald fast on the Mirage though for some reason. So I'm on tire set no. 3 after 6.5 years of driving (135,---km's on the car, so maybe 90k miles)

One thing to mention is that people tell me all the time, about how small my wheels are on my Mirage. But the small 14 inch tires are for getting the high MPG numbers. Not for the looks. That is what your Mirage's previous owner got caught up in, the looks..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you! Everyone on here has been awesome

I’m trying to not stress myself out too much about this. I’m feeling a little but down on myself for getting this car, as I’m also finding out some other cosmetic damages I didn’t see at the time of purchase. I don’t regret choosing a Mirage at all as I really love the model. I just feel like I didn’t do a good job at deciding to get this particular car. However, the engine is checked out all good, so I guess that’s the most important thing when buying a used car.
    Take your time for sure! I waited 2.5 years to buy sensors for my extra set of winter tires. I just bought my last pair of steel rims from Dirk a couple months ago. Now I have two complete sets of wheels/tires for summer & winter.

I think your car looks great. My new Mirage experienced a hail storm early on. Luckily, it only left one good size dent in the center of my roof. Now, I don't fret over other dings so much!

Keep in mind - If or when you buy new rims/tires, you will want the sensors pulled out of your present wheels and added to the new ones. I would use the sensors you have. There is no need to buy new ones, because that would add a significant cost to all this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a silly question, but it doesn’t snow where I live... is the grip on those small wheels very bad that you need a winter set? I don’t plan on driving up Rocky Mountain every week, but I’d like to go up some local mountains here a few times during winter. How’s the grip on the small wheels during the rain and uphill/downhill?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Honestly, I think the standard 14" tires have done a good job over my 6+ years driving my Mirage. The Dunlops and Bridgestones I have had are good performers. They bald fast on the Mirage though for some reason. So I'm on tire set no. 3 after 6.5 years of driving (135,---km's on the car, so maybe 90k miles)

One thing to mention is that people tell me all the time, about how small my wheels are on my Mirage. But the small 14 inch tires are for getting the high MPG numbers. Not for the looks. That is what your Mirage's previous owner got caught up in, the looks..
    14" & 15" tires are the same diameter size. One just has more rim verses rubber than the other. The overall diameters are the same.

As far as wear goes, it depends on what type of tires you buy. Steve had gone 70,000+ miles on 175/65r14 Falken tires that he picked up quite cheap @ Walmart in the past.

I like 14" skinny tires. If my Mirage didn't get 40-50 mpg year round, I wouldn't own it. My last two gas tanks were 47.55 mpg & 43 mpg. The second figure was pushing my Mirage hard @ 65-80 mph with the A/C blasting. I just came back from a fishing trip in North Dakota today.

If you buy the right LRR wider tires, you will do ok, too. Top Fuel can confirm that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a silly question, but it doesnÂ’t snow where I live... is the grip on those small wheels very bad that you need a winter set? I donÂ’t plan on driving up Rocky Mountain every week, but IÂ’d like to go up some local mountains here a few times during winter. HowÂ’s the grip on the small wheels during the rain and uphill/downhill?
    Wide tires on small cars suck in snow. This is the number one reason, I am sticking with 165/65r14 tires. I've been driving winter ridge roads for decades in Wisconsin. My former 1990 Ford Festiva had 145SR12 (narrow 12") tires that would climb winter roads other cars & mini-vans couldn't. I would go home with that car to get the tire chains for my other FWD cars that couldn't climb the same winter hill road. My former VW Golf with wide tires was one of my worst vehicles in snow. Even with snow tires, the heavier Golf didn't do as well as the light Festiva with skinny tires.

I live in the driftless region of Wisconsin. I am climbing a small hill as soon as I leave my driveway. I've watched the county snow plow back down the hill while dropping sand, because he couldn't keep his front wheels on the road going forward. I've seen this more than once. This is a dump truck loaded with sand with chains on his rear tires, & he couldn't keep his front tires of the snow plow on the road without sand on it.

My Mirage does ok in the winter for a small car, but it can't compete with my AWD Forester with snow tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So far $366 is the cheapest I've found for full set tire and wheel
    https://americantiredepot.com/search...option=DE&atd=

Yikes, this is getting more expensive than I expected. Still hoping to get a reasonable resolution from the dealership tomorrow but not too hopeful.

I'm also going to contact some used tire shops and see if they'd be willing to do an exchange/trade-in to reduce the cost.

If that doesn't work out, I might just drive it how it is for some more time and hope for the best!
    Last edited by newtomit; 06-29-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yikes, this is getting more expensive than I expected. Still hoping to get a reasonable resolution from the dealership tomorrow but not too hopeful.

I'm also going to contact some used tire shops and see if they'd be willing to do an exchange/trade-in to reduce the cost.

If that doesn't work out, I might just drive it how it is for some more time and hope for the best!
    Be patient and browse around for what you can find locally. With time I'm sure you'll find the right set. Don't let the tire thing get you down, it is easy to fix.

I will never buy a Dunlop Enasave tire (@ any price new or used) due sidewall issues.
    Though Mark has had a bad experience with a OEM Enasave, I'm still on my original factory set and they are serving their purpose just fine. Just another data point to consider. Mark has his opinions on tires and loves to share them.

Browse your local Craigslist and you might find an OEM set of tires there for cheap. Maybe you can trade or sell your set at a profit since they are so fancy.

Some day I may try the 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires.
    I too would favor the Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Look around for threads discussing tires here, there's lots to be found.

PS: Here's some example threads to get you started
    Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)
    Craigslist Finds

Last edited by Eggman; 06-29-2020 at 12:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)