Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Ooooh I didn't realize those OEM wheels are alloy, thought all OEM are steel. Anyway, I called the place and the car is no longer there. Too bad, that would've been a good find! Thanks Top_Fuel for the tip

So I'm still confused about something. It looks like everyone on here is pro-alloy wheels and not a fan of steel. However, many have a set of steel wheels for Winter. I know it doesn't snow where I live, but there's a chance I might take a trip to somewhere that does. I don't have space to store Winter wheels and tires, so shouldn't I just go with steel for its multi-purpose usage?
    If my car came with steel wheels I wouldn't bother replacing them. The only reason I have aluminum wheels is cause that's what it came off the boat with and the previous two owners never changed them and nether did I. I did however buy a set of used steel wheels with winter tires already mounted but resold them cause the center hole was too small. I couldn't find any other cheap wheels so I just bought cheap winter tires and mounted them on the factory wheels. And then still haven't bothered to swap the summer tires back over. I really don't car if my car has steel or alloy wheels. The factory steel and aluminum wheels are similar in weight. I weighed both but my dog ate the pictures.
    I bought a cheap car so I could spend money on other things like my house, go on trips, and lately I've been blowing a lot of money on my new sxs.
    Buy whatever you want, the only reason people call steel wheels winter wheels is cause they have a nicer set they don't want ruined by salt or by flying out of control into curbs. Aluminum wheels can be winter wheels, no need to be racist against metals.
    As already mentioned, the bad and the good about steel: they bend easily but can usually just as easily be bent back. If they get rusty, scuff them up and paint them with a rattle can.
    Aluminum, look nicer/fancier, won't bend and be able to bend back like steel, will crack instead. When aluminum gets old and crusty they can be a pita when they corrode around the bead and not stop leaking. Ever.

You do you. You asked for advice and got lots. They're wheels, not a house.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (07-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Ooooh I didn't realize those OEM wheels are alloy, thought all OEM are steel. Anyway, I called the place and the car is no longer there. Too bad, that would've been a good find! Thanks Top_Fuel for the tip

So I'm still confused about something. It looks like everyone on here is pro-alloy wheels and not a fan of steel. However, many have a set of steel wheels for Winter. I know it doesn't snow where I live, but there's a chance I might take a trip to somewhere that does. I don't have space to store Winter wheels and tires, so shouldn't I just go with steel for its multi-purpose usage?
    Using the current trim levels -

The most basic trim level ES has 14" black steel rims with 165/65r14 tires.

The LE has 15" black alloy rims with 175/55r15 tires.

The SE has 14" alloy rims with 165/65r14 tires.

The GT has 15" two-tone alloy rims with 175/55r15 tires.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/mirag...specifications

If 165/65r14 (22.4") or 175/55r15 (22.6") tires are hard to find, 175/65r14 (23") or 185/55r15 (23") are good alternatives to consider that will not cause the rubbing issues you already have. Obviously, the alternative size is determined by whether you have 14" or 15" rims.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Driving in snow and ice is an acquired skill. If you don't do it regularly, it's something you should try to avoid. I'm not saying that getting out in a LITTLE snow and ice is a bad thing. But, if where you're planning to go has enough snow that you feel like you need snow tires... and you're NOT used to driving in the snow... perhaps you should plan a different trip?

That said, "occasional snow" is what all-season tires are made for. You don't need a set of snow tires for a very occasional trip somewhere that there might be a little snow.

Being front wheel drive, and with lots of modern features like ABS, traction control and stability control, the Mirage should be more than okay in light snow with a good set of all-season tires.

People often use steels for their snow tires just because they're cheaper, not because they're better.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If my car came with steel wheels I wouldn't bother replacing them. The only reason I have aluminum wheels is cause that's what it came off the boat with and the previous two owners never changed them and nether did I. I did however buy a set of used steel wheels with winter tires already mounted but resold them cause the center hole was too small. I couldn't find any other cheap wheels so I just bought cheap winter tires and mounted them on the factory wheels. And then still haven't bothered to swap the summer tires back over. I really don't car if my car has steel or alloy wheels. The factory steel and aluminum wheels are similar in weight. I weighed both but my dog ate the pictures.
    I bought a cheap car so I could spend money on other things like my house, go on trips, and lately I've been blowing a lot of money on my new sxs.
    Buy whatever you want, the only reason people call steel wheels winter wheels is cause they have a nicer set they don't want ruined by salt or by flying out of control into curbs. Aluminum wheels can be winter wheels, no need to be racist against metals.
    As already mentioned, the bad and the good about steel: they bend easily but can usually just as easily be bent back. If they get rusty, scuff them up and paint them with a rattle can.
    Aluminum, look nicer/fancier, won't bend and be able to bend back like steel, will crack instead. When aluminum gets old and crusty they can be a pita when they corrode around the bead and not stop leaking. Ever.
    Keep in mind - he has 17" rims on his Mirage. If you can find factory alloy rims for less money than new steel rims, I would not rule that out. You were comparing a $35 aftermarket steel rim to a $150 factory alloy rim, & the factory alloy rim were cheaper in that case.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At $35/each, that’s only a few dollars less than new ones. Shouldn’t I just buy the new ones then?
    You can use cheap steel rims year round. People have been driving on cheap steel rims (with or without hub caps) for many, many decades.

I was reacting to your comment in post #106 yesterday. If I found used factory alloy wheels for less money than new black steel rims, I would buy the used alloy rims. Paying less for factory alloy rims that cost about $600 new is a better deal than buying black steel rims that are worth $140 new.

If I was in your position, I would check your local salvage yards. If you could pick up a set of Mirage factory alloy wheels for a reasonable price, you may want consider those over aftermarket steel rims. If used alloy wheels are not available in your area, black steel rims can surely be your plan B.

You may find some use aftermarket wheels (alloy or steel) that fit a Mirage, too.

If you found a set of used factory alloy wheels for $200 ($600 value new), you may want to consider those over cheap black steel wheels.

If you decide to use black steel rims, there is nothing wrong with that, too. I have 8 rims for my Mirage, & they are all black steel rims. I use the same factory hub caps for all 8 wheels.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-09-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

You do you. You asked for advice and got lots. They're wheels, not a house.
    A car can be a house for some people
    I totally appreciate all the advice. It gives me a lot to learn about.
    I'm still looking for this answer:

If I get these https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Soluti...4414723&sr=8-4
    What lug nuts/bolts should I get for the installation? Very clueless lol

A car can be a house for some people
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-long-trailer/
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    What lug nuts/bolts should I get for the installation?
    Look at this post which explains the 2 main types of lug nuts (there are other types...but you need one of these 2 types).

Name:  conical.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  68.5 KB

Those Dorman wheels (above) look like they take standard conical lugnuts.
    You need lugnut size M12 x 1.5.

HERE
    is one example. Keep in mind that example is a closed-end lugnut. If you aren't putting hubcaps on your car, you may prefer this look. But you may need to see if they will work. The wheel studs might be too long? Someone with steel wheels needs to chime in at this point to let us know. Otherwise, just roll with the ones Loren is suggesting in the next post!
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-10-2020 at 09:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Standard lug nuts for a typical economy car are a 60-degree taper conical style lug nut. You can easily look up the specs for a modern Mirage with a 10-second Google search. Should be M12x1.5 threads. Plenty of choices out there, but if you're going with basic steel wheels and you're going to fit hub caps, no reason not to go with basic OE style lug nuts.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/KSP-M12X1-5-C.../dp/B07KQ5MXPC

If you're going for the "naked" steel wheel look, then you might want to get something fancy and chrome to look a little better.

Plenty of options out there. You DO get what you pay for. If you look, you can usually find "factory take-off" OEM lug nuts on eBay. They will be from something like a car that a dealer did a wheel upgrade on. They should be of good quality, and fairly inexpensive. They don't have to be from a Mitsubishi, they just have to meet the right specs.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    You can easily look up the specs for a modern Mirage with a 10-second Google search. Should be M12x1.5 threads.
    I did look it up and got the 12x1.5 info but still didn't know what to get lol. "12x1.5 lug nuts" provides lots of results on Amazon, even on the first row of product listing.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 4.00.08 PM.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  100.6 KB

And thanks for the link!
    I think I'm going to get hub caps. Do I need to get caps that have 4 bolts or that doesn't matter? I've never put on hub caps before, and from what I can see, they just sit over the wheels but don't really touch the center of the wheels so I can't tell if bolt pattern matters...