Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I did look it up and got the 12x1.5 info but still didn't know what to get lol. "12x1.5 lug nuts" provides lots of results on Amazon, even on the first row of product listing.
    Attachment 18559

And thanks for the link!
    I think I'm going to get hub caps. Do I need to get caps that have 4 bolts or that doesn't matter? I've never put on hub caps before, and from what I can see, they just sit over the wheels but don't really touch the center of the wheels so I can't tell if bolt pattern matters...
    If you are going to use hub caps, I would buy cheap lug nuts like Loren shared.

The factory hub caps are pop on, but there are other types - this shows the three different types -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lckhD48wuk

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The ones Loren suggested are open end. I read the open end ones rust while closed ones don't, so should I get closed ones instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The ones Loren suggested are open end. I read the open end ones rust while closed ones don't, so should I get closed ones instead?
    A base level Mirage comes with cheap open end lug nuts for steel rims. It's not a concern for me. Hub caps cover up whatever rust may appear on the end of the wheel studs. I change all 4 wheels on my Mirage twice a year. I am not concerned about a little surface rust on the wheel studs or lug nuts. If that's a concern for you, buy what you feel is best. Some closed end lug nuts can be quite long. Make sure the lug nuts will fit under whatever hub caps you want to use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A base level Mirage comes with cheap open end lug nuts for steel rims. It's not a concern for me. Hub caps cover up whatever rust may appear on the end of the wheel studs. I change all 4 wheels on my Mirage twice a year. I am not concerned about a little surface rust on the wheel studs or lug nuts. If that's a concern for you, buy what you feel is best. Some closed end lug nuts can be quite long. Make sure the lug nuts will fit under whatever hub caps you want to use.
    I'm just concerned if they rust, will it be hard to remove them if I need to change the wheels? Thanks for mentioning that some closed end ones can be too long for hub caps, I didn't think about that. These closed ones are the right size for the Mirage right?
    https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...7&sr=8-16&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CUIZM9PM8&th=1

Any idea how the 2 brands compared? They both have same good reviews.

Also, something miraculous happened yesterday! As you all know, my mpg has not been so great due to these wheels and tires. My best record was 36.8 going 65mph on a freeway with no AC and windows up. Yesterday, I took a leisure drive to the beach which is about 35 mins from my house (if no traffic). In the first 10 minutes, there was light traffic and I didn't bother to look at the mpg. The next 15 minutes, traffic eased up and I was doing 35mph consistently with the windows down. I peeked at the mpg and it was at 38! I couldn't believe my eyes I had to do a double-take! The number continued to climb and eventually hit 40.2! I finally broke into the 40 range! I don't know what kind of divine power holy spirit galactic extraterrestrial force made it happen. I'm just shocked that the mpg was better than my highway record, especially I had the windows down, hit like 3-4 traffic lights and the road has some slight incline. Maybe the mpg meter was off but it made my day

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Soooooo....when you getting your new wheels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just concerned if they rust, will it be hard to remove them if I need to change the wheels? Thanks for mentioning that some closed end ones can be too long for hub caps, I didn't think about that. These closed ones are the right size for the Mirage right?
    https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...7&sr=8-16&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CUIZM9PM8&th=1

Any idea how the 2 brands compared? They both have same good reviews.

Also, something miraculous happened yesterday! As you all know, my mpg has not been so great due to these wheels and tires. My best record was 36.8 going 65mph on a freeway with no AC and windows up. Yesterday, I took a leisure drive to the beach which is about 35 mins from my house (if no traffic). In the first 10 minutes, there was light traffic and I didn't bother to look at the mpg. The next 15 minutes, traffic eased up and I was doing 35mph consistently with the windows down. I peeked at the mpg and it was at 38! I couldn't believe my eyes I had to do a double-take! The number continued to climb and eventually hit 40.2! I finally broke into the 40 range! I don't know what kind of divine power holy spirit galactic extraterrestrial force made it happen. I'm just shocked that the mpg was better than my highway record, especially I had the windows down, hit like 3-4 traffic lights and the road has some slight incline. Maybe the mpg meter was off but it made my day

If you are going to use hub caps, I would buy cheap lug nuts. That's your choice, however. Your tires should be rotated every 5,000-10,000 miles. There's no reason to worry about them being rusted on. If you want to skip hub caps, I would get ones that are closed on the ends for sure. Depends what you want?
    Last edited by Mark; 07-12-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'm just concerned if they rust, will it be hard to remove them if I need to change the wheels?
    Is rust and corrosion a common problem in Los Angeles (or any part of California for that matter)? I didn't know cars could rust there.

Also, something miraculous happened yesterday!
    Maybe the mpg meter was off but it made my day
    The Mirage does better with slower, city speeds. I get 50-60 mpg traveling at speeds of around 50 mph.

Give it a try - slow down. And don't discount the error introduced with your oversized wheels. Try making the correction when you calculate your mpg from fill-up to fill-up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And don't discount the error introduced with your oversized wheels. Try making the correction when you calculate your mpg from fill-up to fill-up.
    I sort of overlook or forget about that, but that's most definitely true! Nothing about your mpg reading or odometer reading is accurate with those large wheels.

If my Mirage didn't get 40+ mpg year round, I would sell it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Soooooo....when you getting your new wheels?
    I'm planning this Monday since it's my day off! I'm actually quite looking forward to it, as not only will it improve my mpg, it also alleviates the anxiety I have whenever I drive over a dip, hump, or uneven road. Not that I'm going to drive like a maniac with the new wheels and tires, but it'd be nice to not have to stress about it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.47.14 AM.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  87.5 KB
    I peeled off some of the black coating and the wheel underneath seems to be in very good condition. They also seem like good/expensive wheels. Too bad they just don't work out

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I peeled off some of the black coating and the wheel underneath seems to be in very good condition.
    Judging from that one picture, I'd say those are older wheels that someone quickly coated black for an inexpensive appearance boost.

Those wheels were originally bare and clear-coated...which is fine. But it looks like the original clear coat has started to fail (not unusual)...which is the strange pattern you can see below on that wheel spoke...

Name:  clear_delam.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  13.7 KB

I can also see signs of curb rash on the edge of the wheel...

Name:  curb_rash.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  29.9 KB

I'm not trying to bust your chops...I'm just telling you that you can't sell these things and advertise them as "in great shape" or something. They look to me like average condition wheels with delaminating clear-coat, minor curb damage, and a rushed plasti-dip job that's peeling.

Let me make this suggestion: When you get your new wheels/tires, consider having the shop dismount your current tires from the wheels (if you're buying other services from them, hopefully they will do it for free). Then you can sell the tires separately from the wheels. The chances of finding a buyer for both may not be very good...but you likely will find someone who just needs the tires...or just the wheels.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-16-2020 at 02:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)