Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 week now (base Mirage DE manual - paying for itself in gas savings)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

1 week now (base Mirage DE manual - paying for itself in gas savings)

I purchased my new Mirage last week, sure it's cheap but it lives up to what I expected out of it so far. It has exceeded the EPA mpg estimate, not by much but still beat it . I was able to hit an average of 43 mpg (according to the dash) on about an hour and a half drive to my in-law's with the wife and kids in the car. I averaged 40 mpg with the first tank of gas, I drove approximately 300+/- miles and only used 7.5 gallons. I'm pretty proud that the fuel savings on this car make up for the payment.

I drive about 40-45 miles a day 5 days a week, that is round trip work and home. If I only drive to and from work, I am hoping to only have to fill up once every two weeks.

For only 74 Hp and 74 lb/ft torque the car is quite drivable in traffic, and has better acceleration than I anticipated. Probably due to the gear ratios and the motor being at 3,000+rpm under normal driving, either way I'm satisfied and this is after driving my V8 Grand Cherokee (fully loaded) for the past few years. I chose the manual transmission over the CVT because of reliability (first hand personal issues) and I figured I would need something to do while driving.

I was impressed with the 5 yr/ 60k bumper to bumper warranty on such an inexpensive car, I upgraded mine to 10 yr/120k mile with my financing. So with the warranty and Mitsubishi's roadside I feel confident that if the car doesn't live up to its promise, I won't be stranded.

-Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats on the new Mirage Billy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it too.

I would imagine your gas savings are racking up really fast vs that Cherokee!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Base 5-speed. That's the one I'd get too.

I'm pretty proud that the fuel savings on this car make up for the payment
    Are you saying your gas savings from not driving the Jeep are paying for the Mirage??

Don't forget to snap a pic of the car for your garage page. Otherwise we just see:

Did you consider getting any other cars?

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im glad you enjoy it! Welcome

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Base 5-speed. That's the one I'd get too.

Are you saying your gas savings from not driving the Jeep are paying for the Mirage??

Don't forget to snap a pic of the car for your garage page. Otherwise we just see:

Did you consider getting any other cars?

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Darin

Yes, the fuel savings from axing the Jeep are paying for the Mirage, fueling it, and insuring it lol.

I'll get a pic up soon .
    I considered others including the Chevy Spark, Ford Fiesta, Dodge Caliber, and various used cars; the Mirage $ for $ made the best sense and use of my monthly budget.
    The Chevy Spark required an $1,800 upgrade package just to be equipped with a CD player (other unwanted options included in package). The Fiesta I didn't like and the Caliber was too much $ for the mileage ratings. Used cars I ruled out after figuring payments and little to no warranties.

I hope this forum can be a good resource going forward.

-Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Billy - thanks for the clarification. That's seriously impressive (hope you don't mind I edited the thread title to reflect this). Not to mention you're now saving the Jeep by not driving it as much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Absolutely not, the title is definitely appropriate.

Unfortunately, my Jeep died and left me stranded on the way to the dealer the day before I bought the Mirage. I've cut ties with the Jeep and moved on, although I already miss the heated seats, heated power mirrors, V8 power, 4x4, etc. etc. etc.

-Billy

Bummer about the Jeep!

It's odd that the US doesn't get a heated seat option in the Mirage, as Canada does. There are probably more people living in northern US states who would like them than in all of Canada.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, ship me some heated seats!
    -Billy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great ta have ya, Billy. Your '14 is the red color? My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with 116,387 miles on it has the automatic CVT tranny, 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo, foglights, leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob and the wrap-around bodykit and sunroof. I am probably not needing ta trade in but it's you guys and your information that could help lead to it. I love the great gas mileage. Billy-the stick shift standard tranny works well for ya?