Thread: Should I keep my stock wheels or sell them?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Should I keep my stock wheels or sell them?

So, we just purchased a 2018 Mirage ES with 4,500miles. In the next few weeks I will most likely be ordering the 15" Koenig Lightning rims and Bridgestone Ecopia tires that have been recommended on this forum.

Now to my dilemma. I am going to have the TPMS sensors swapped into the new wheels. I have some storage space at our apartment that I could throw the "old" stock rims/tires into. I live in Florida, so there's no worry about winter tires. I don't know whether I should keep the stock setup as some kind of "just in case" measure or try and sell them right away, when they could bring the most money, having such low miles and a couple years old. I feel like they are not very valuable, but will be basically worthless if I store them for 6ish years, sell the car with the upgraded wheels and then try and sell the stock. But, I could always throw the stocks back on when I go to sell the car in the future and sell the upgraded set separately.

I guess I could just use some opinions on the matter, or maybe even a pro/con that I haven't thought of.
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Even though it would cost several hundred dollars to duplicate your OEM ES wheels/tires, there's not much of a market for them. I would try to sell them for $xxx. If you can't get above that amount (whatever you decide), then consider keeping them. What do you think they are worth?

When I tried to sell my (basically) brand new 14" alloy wheels and Enasaves, I had to sell them on eBay to get anything near a decent amount for them (everyone here is a bottom feeder looking for cheap prices). No offense to any bottom feeders reading this.

You can see my original classified ads here: wheels tires.

The wheels sold for $200 and I got $250 for the tires. I was OK with that. I was going to keep them before giving them away for $200 or something.

In the next few weeks I will most likely be ordering the 15" Koenig Lightning rims and Bridgestone Ecopia tires...
    The cheapest place to buy those tires is at Costco when they are running a Bridgestone promotion ($70 off 4 tires + $80 off installation) which is going on right now. This is the best promotion they offer...and it only happens 2 times a year for Bridgestone tires...

Name:  deal.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  45.3 KB

If you miss this deal, they have other deals that are almost as good...which offer $70 off the tires and $40 off installation. You may have to wait a couple of months for that deal to come around. The deal I posted in the picture should come back around November.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the detailed info! You got more than I thought for your stock setup, honestly, but the alloys are worth considerably more, I'm sure. I was thinking that if I was to sell my stock tires/rims for $250ish combined, then it would probably be worth it, but I think the demand is so low, I just don't know.

About that Costco deal, would they hassle me about aftermarket/non stock spec wheels/tires? I know that Walmart and Sears(I don't think they even have auto centers anymore) wouldn't do anything other than stock sizing, last time I checked, years ago. My plan was to buy everything from amazon and have a local place mount/balance/sensor swap. The tires are $94 a piece with free shipping currently.

Edit- I just tried to check the price on the Costco Ecopias, but it is not letting me, because I am not a member. I am not a current member, as the closest Costco is 50miles away, which sucks, because we really love Costco. So Costco is probably not a viable option, unless the deal is really killer, but how would I know, since I can't sign in to see it. Blah
    Last edited by Bralexander; 06-30-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    About that Costco deal, would they hassle me about aftermarket/non stock spec wheels/tires?
    Costco will not sell you a tire size that didn't originally come on the car...but there is a way around it. When I recently bought tires from Costco for my Mirage, I went in and said "I need tires for my 2015 Chevy Spark." They type that into their computer, and up pops 185-55-15. When the tires arrive at Costco, I leave my car at home and I just take the wheels in. They install the tires and I take the wheels home and bolt them on my car.

Here are the Bridgestone Ecopia prices I'm seeing right now at Costco...

185-55-15 $126 each ($434 installed with promotion)
    185-60-15 $112 each ($378 installed with promotion)

Go price these same at Discount Tire (installed with road hazard "certificates") and see how the above prices compare. I've heard that Discount Tire will price match Costco...but have never tried it.

I have been running 185-55-15s on my car for the last 90K miles. I just bought my next set of Ecopias...but this time I went to 185-60-15s. I did so because they're less expensive, more common, and slightly taller than 185-55-15s. I haven't personally installed these on my car yet, so I'm not ready to officially recommend them. But a few other people on the forum have already been running this size with no issues so I'm not worried about it.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-30-2020 at 03:51 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't even express how much I appreciate all the detailed info! I have actually done the work around before, with different vehicles, but right now, we only have the one car, and I would need them to swap tpms sensors, so I couldn't pull that off. That Costco pricing seems good, but not enough that I would go through all the hassle. I will definitely just order from Amazon and have the local place do all the swapping/mounting. They are well recommended and well reviewed so I am pretty confident in going with them.

Of course none of this helps with my original problem but has given me more to think about.

I looked at Ecopia 185/60/15 and they are within a dollar of 185/55/15 on amazon. Is there any other reason you are going with this slightly taller size now, other than cost?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    ...I would need them to swap tpms sensors, so I couldn't pull that off.
    Yeah...I understand. My car is now 5 years old, so I took in 4 new TPMS sensors and had the Costco installer put them in when he installed the tires. These tires will probably be on my car for the next 5 years, and I didn't want to mess with sensors dying 2 years from now.

Is there any other reason you are going with this slightly taller size now, other than cost?
    I wanted the taller size for the slight lowering of RPMs while cruising on the freeway. I think I may get a slight benefit from this since I do a fair amount of prolonged freeway driving. It will drop my RPMS by about 200 in 5th gear. Not huge...but I figure it can't hurt.

I got the idea from this thread on fuelly.com. That guy used to post here a few years ago.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-30-2020 at 12:54 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (06-30-2020)