Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVT Transmission is jerky/clunky (please help!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Did the deslership even tell you what the issue was for the 1st CVT?
    The 1st time they said it needed a fluid exchange. So I coughed up $100 to get that done. Then they said it needed to be flashed, or something like that. Did that for free, nothing. Then the new transmission, and now a transmission control module.

The fact you got a brand new CVT is awesome but dont expect your sh!tbox to be smooth as a Mercedes.
    yeah. My future upgrade after this car will definitely be a manual, and hopefully a Subaru Outback XT. I'd really like to, myself, drop in a JDI 6-speed manual. This will be when I finish school and am making close to 6 figs in IT. Then I can put a bed and storage space in the car, throw on a roof rack, load up a whitewater kayak, snowboard, scuba gear, climbing gear, etc. and travel around the states while working from home, or "working from roam" as I like to call it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies! I will continue to reply to everyone and update this thread as things get worked out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Good luck and keep us posted.

You may want to check out this post where I described my experience talking to corporate Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    The 1st time they said it needed a fluid exchange. So I coughed up $100 to get that done. Then they said it needed to be flashed, or something like that. Did that for free, nothing. Then the new transmission, and now a transmission control module.

yeah. My future upgrade after this car will definitely be a manual, and hopefully a Subaru Outback XT. I'd really like to, myself, drop in a JDI 6-speed manual. This will be when I finish school and am making close to 6 figs in IT. Then I can put a bed and storage space in the car, throw on a roof rack, load up a whitewater kayak, snowboard, scuba gear, climbing gear, etc. and travel around the states while working from home, or "working from roam" as I like to call it
    What was the reason for it needing to be replaced?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What was the reason for it needing to be replaced?
    It was still having shift shock and the dealership didn't know what else to do about it, besides replace it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Somewhere around here is a thread describing the Mirage CVT. It is basically a continuously-variable transmission with a high range and a low range. It also has what's called Idle Neutral Logic that places the transmission in neutral when stopped. And let's not forget about Hill Start Assist. Shifting from low range to high and back can be managed simply by how much acceleration you are calling for as the driver/operator. Can any of these systems be contributing to what you are experiencing? Hard to tell from here.

I'll look for that thread...
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-02-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added HSA

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try these:

Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams
    How your CVT works

Oh and don't think our favorite little cars are primitive. Mitsubishi packed a lot of technology in 'em, especially for the price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Try these:

Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams
    How your CVT works

Oh and don't think our favorite little cars are primitive. Mitsubishi packed a lot of technology in 'em, especially for the price.
    Who let you across the border, Isn't there a wall and a moat with alligators or something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Who let you across the border, Isn't there a wall and a moat with alligators or something?
    Oh yeah - I forgot how sensitive you can be about things. Sorry.

I chose Dog River in honor of Canada day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Oh yeah - I forgot how sensitive you can be about things. Sorry.

I chose Dog River in honor of Canada day.
    Don't be silly, I don't have feelings. Happy Independence Day tomorrow since I won't be around here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2020)