Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokian Nordman 7 Winter Tires (Non-Studded)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Nokian Nordman 7 Winter Tires (Non-Studded)

Hi guys,

I'm looking into ways I can get myself to the slopes for snowboarding this upcoming winter. I live in southern Wisconsin, so the snow usually isn't terrible but it can be. Last winter I use a set of all-season tires, I think they are the OEMs, and they worked pretty damn good for what I expected. After a fresh snow of 2 to 3 inches would pass my neighbor in his Toyota Camry going uphill. His wheels were spinning like crazy and I went right past him effortlessly. I didn't realize until then that these skinny tires are impeccable at gaining traction.

Right now still have those same all-season tires and OEM rims installed. A couple months ago I did buy a set of Federal Federal SS-657 165/65R14 79T BSW for $170 on giga-tires.com. I need these installed ASAP because my current tires are down to the bone. But I wish I had not bought these, because I would have bought 15in rims and used 175/65/15 for the warm months.

I'm thinking of getting the Nokian Nordman 7 (Non-Studded) 165/65R14 79T BSW and using the OEM 14in rims for my winter tires. I've seen some other people here have the studded version, but studs are illegal here in Wisconsin. I can get a set of these for $300 on giga-tires.com. These are not cheap but I'd love to be able to take my Mirage out during a snow storm to go shred. Either $300 or another winter of cabin fever for me.

Anyone have thoughts, or maybe some cheaper but great winter tires? Also, are there any cheaper options for getting these tires installed? The best price I've found near me is $80 for all 4.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The Mirage does pretty good in snow as it is. I have a set of Dunlop Winter Maxx for winter but don't notice much difference other than increased rolling resistance.

I'd hold off getting a winter set until you get your transmission worries sorted out. In the meantime, keep an eye on Craigslist for deals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking into ways I can get myself to the slopes for snowboarding this upcoming winter. I live in southern Wisconsin, so the snow usually isn't terrible but it can be. Last winter I use a set of all-season tires, I think they are the OEMs, and they worked pretty damn good for what I expected. After a fresh snow of 2 to 3 inches would pass my neighbor in his Toyota Camry going uphill. His wheels were spinning like crazy and I went right past him effortlessly. I didn't realize until then that these skinny tires are impeccable at gaining traction.

Right now still have those same all-season tires and OEM rims installed. A couple months ago I did buy a set of Federal Federal SS-657 165/65R14 79T BSW for $170 on giga-tires.com. I need these installed ASAP because my current tires are down to the bone. But I wish I had not bought these, because I would have bought 15in rims and used 175/65/15 for the warm months.

I'm thinking of getting the Nokian Nordman 7 (Non-Studded) 165/65R14 79T BSW and using the OEM 14in rims for my winter tires. I've seen some other people here have the studded version, but studs are illegal here in Wisconsin. I can get a set of these for $300 on giga-tires.com. These are not cheap but I'd love to be able to take my Mirage out during a snow storm to go shred. Either $300 or another winter of cabin fever for me.

Anyone have thoughts, or maybe some cheaper but great winter tires? Also, are there any cheaper options for getting these tires installed? The best price I've found near me is $80 for all 4.
    I've ordered through Walmart for the Federals and they shipped from giga-tire with the shipping labels and everything but since I purchased them from Walmart mounting and balancing was cheap cheap cheap. Just took the tires in with my Walmart receipt, no problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The Mirage does pretty good in snow as it is. I have a set of Dunlop Winter Maxx for winter but don't notice much difference other than increased rolling resistance.

I'd hold off getting a winter set until you get your transmission worries sorted out. In the meantime, keep an eye on Craigslist for deals.
    Anything else to say about your experience with the Dunlop winters? Do they last a long time? I need a set of winters. I find my Mirage is amazing in the winter even w just all seasons..., anyway handles great compared to my old beater winter cars I had..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hi guys,

175/65r15 (24") is big for a Mirage, & the factory size 175/55r15 (22.6") tires have very limited in choices. Just to clarify all this - a 175/65r14 (23") would be a better alternative tire match for a Mirage.

I would stick with the 14" rims you have & not second guess the purchase of the Federal SS657 tires. I prefer the Federal SS657 tires over the Dunlop Enasave tires, and Federal tires are about 1/3 the cost. I currently have a pair Dunlop & Federal tires on my Mirage.

I live in the the driftless area of SW Wisconsin myself, & I have to climb snow covered ridge roads in the winter to get home. I learned many years ago, a skinny tire on a small lightweight FWD car will do quite well climbing snow covered ridge roads. Likewise, a wider tire will have the opposite effect. Thus, I would not go any wider than 165 tires for the Mirage. My former 1990 Festiva with narrower 145SR12 tires did even better than my current Mirage, & that car never had snow tires on it.

I have been using a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 (non-studded) tires up front the past three winters. Outside of the 165/65r14 Dunlop Winter Maxx, I don't see much else for 165/65r14 snow tire choices. The Vredestein Quatrac 5 may be the best all-weather option that's not a dedicated snow tire.

I bought my pair of Nokian tires from tires-easy.com, but they are the exact same price with free shipping as you shared elsewhere. I am not going to claim the Nokian snow tires are better than the Dunlop, because I have not tried the Dunlop snow tires. I will say the Nokian snow tires are a better LRR snow tire than most, and my snow tires have been wearing extremely well.

Walmart has the Nokian Nordman 7 tires, but they are currently more expensive there. $80.85 is about as low as I have seen them. The Nordman 7 seem to stay in that $80-90 range most of the time @ tires-easy.com.

Unless you have a local mechanic who will mount/balance tires, I wouldn't hesitate to use Walmart if the price is right.

I bought a pair of steel rims ($50/rim with free shipping) from onlywheels.com three years ago. I mounted the Nokian Nordman 7 to them, & they have been my front winter tires the past three winters. I realize using 4 dedicated snow tires is better, but I haven't had any issue with Federal tires being in the rear the past two winters.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I, too, have the Dunlop Winter Maxxs. Not super impressed (not bad, but not wow). For NOT being winter tires, I was impressed by the stock Dunlop Enasaves (their first and only winter) and expected the Winter Maxxs to be noticeably better. If I had to do it over, I probably would have gone with Vredestein Quatrac 5 on the "fancy" rims and kept the Enasaves on the steel wheels for emergency back-up. As it is, both sets have plenty of tread on them, so I'll just keep reading on other people's experiences for another couple of years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I, too, have the Dunlop Winter Maxxs. Not super impressed (not bad, but not wow). For NOT being winter tires, I was impressed by the stock Dunlop Enasaves (their first and only winter) and expected the Winter Maxxs to be noticeably better. If I had to do it over, I probably would have gone with Vredestein Quatrac 5 on the "fancy" rims and kept the Enasaves on the steel wheels for emergency back-up. As it is, both sets have plenty of tread on them, so I'll just keep reading on other people's experiences for another couple of years.
    Even though I don't own a pair yet, I suspect the Vredestein Quatrac 5 would be decent in the winter (especially when newer). Once they wear down some, they could be used up during the summer months. I see myself headed that direction myself some day. Overall, the Quatrac 5 reviews seem pretty good. In my case, I have an AWD Subaru for the nasty winter days. Thus, I am not overly concerned about my Mirage having the best snow tires on the market.

Responding to the first post in this thread -

I would use your Federal SS657 tires & eventually consider a second set of wheels with Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires mounted on them for the winter months. Your SS657 summer tires (April-November/8 months) will probably wear out faster than the Quatrac 5 tires (December- March/4 months).

When it comes time to replace the worn down Federal SS675 tires, you can get another new set of Quatrac 5 (if you have been happy with them). Your 1st set of Quatrac 5 tires can then become your summer tires, and your 2nd set of Quatrac 5 tires will become your new set of winter tires.

The nice thing about an arrangement like this - You can take care of your tire rotations when changing the sets of tires each spring & fall. Your tires wear evenly, and you are always using newer threads during the winter months. Likewise, you are using up older tires during the summer months. I feel this is the best use of tires for those of us that have to deal with snow/ice conditions.

If I lived in the south, I wouldn't bother with all this. I would use one set of tires and replace them when it is time to do so.

If you bought a second set of 14" rims to do all this, you could also buy a set of cloneable sensors. Depending on where you live in Wisconsin, I could help clone the 2nd set of wheels to your current set of wheels. All it would cost you is the price of the new sensors. I recently bought the Autel tool to do this, & it would take less than 15 minutes. The tool records/stores all 4 codes on your car, & then you clone a new sensor to each individual code. It could be done in a parking lot anywhere.

https://www.obdprice.com/products/4p...hoCOe4QAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-6937357.../dp/B074Q5488L

Just sharing different ways to look at your situation.

Hi guys,

I picked up these in November. Mounted them on the stock aluminum wheels and am still running them, I haven't had time to swap the summers back on. These tires are cheap, balanced nicely, and were pretty good in the winter. There's still tons of tread left, they're wearing well after about 6000kms/4000miles. I went with 175/65r14. They're slightly taller than stock but it's less noticeable than driving with the ac on.

Well, I'm too computer dumb to insert a fancy link thing so here: https://quattrotires.com/tires/rotalla-s100-2/2218
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You're right. But I'm also impatient. I was planning on holding off from buying winter tires until later in the season. I want to find the best deal and setup for winter tires before I make a move.