Thread: Radiator fan replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Radiator fan replacement

My radiator fan appears to be dead. Main issue is that I have to turn the A/C off at every redlight, which I'm tired of doing. I've tested voltage at the fuse and it checked out as having a voltage when the compressor kicked on, and 0 with it off. Unless there is a broken wire between the fuse and the fan, everything points to the fan. Can I get away with buying only the replacement fan, or do I need to get the whole fan assembly? I can get a universal fan locally (and cheaper) that all the parts stores say will fit.

Thanks! Also would appreciate any tips that makes the job easier from those that have had to do this already.

2014 Mirage w/ 185k miles

Check fuses. Where are you checking for power? No power doesn't mean fan is junk. Could unplug and run your wires to fan just to test it. Can't mess it up, doesn't matter which way it goes(normally). That'd narrow down your problem.
    If you do have a junk fan, just find a used one. It'd be easier than hacking in some piece of junk that doesn't fit or work properly.

Is your car even overheating or why do you think it's not working? Could use more info, and the common what did you do to the car last? Boost a car blow a fuse....Drive through a river, electric fence, hit a deer...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Checked fuse first and it is good. I tested voltage at fuse box since it was easiest. It has only overheated once, which was when sitting for about 15 or so minutes waiting for a graduation parade to start rolling. But the fan never comes on. It is supposed to come on when the ac compressor kicks it. The voltage at fuse box reflects the compressor being on or off. When stopped at a red-light with ac on, no radiator fan means warm air blowing from vents. The compressor needs airflow, which driving can handle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you check BOTH fuses? There is a 40amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and a 7.5 amp fuse in the passenger compartment fuse panel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you confirm that it is a dead fan (put 12v directly to the fan), I'd agree with Fummins. Just get a used OE fan. 100% perfect fit, and they don't fail that often.

If the fuse is good, could also be a bad relay, in addition to wiring. Much of our wiring is unprotected.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'm inclined to think that there's something else going on with this. Fan motors are simple, straightforward things that don't fail often. Check the AC to make sure it hasn't leaked refrigerant from a failed compressor.

Hey imamirage, has your Mirage overheated? This is indicated by a red thermometer warning icon on the dashboard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Check fuses. Where are you checking for power? No power doesn't mean fan is junk. Could unplug and run your wires to fan just to test it. Can't mess it up, doesn't matter which way it goes(normally). That'd narrow down your problem.
    If you do have a junk fan, just find a used one. It'd be easier than hacking in some piece of junk that doesn't fit or work properly.

Is your car even overheating or why do you think it's not working? Could use more info, and the common what did you do to the car last? Boost a car blow a fuse....Drive through a river, electric fence, hit a deer...
    Just gonna repost this again in one last attempt at helping. Otherwise this will turn into 50 page thread trying to figure out what the actual symptoms are.
    Does red light come on?
    Did you actually test the fan?
    Does the red temp light come on? Or how do you know/think it's overheating, spidey sense isn't real.
    How are you testing for voltage? A test light, multimeter, pulling fuses and looking at them, licking them like a 9volt battery?

Having ac on or off is not always going to directly control the RAD FAN. It comes on as required but yeah, it usually does cycle once the ac if first turned on then as needed.

You don't need to explain how the ac system works. We aren't the one that needs help.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-03-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The red indicator light has only come on once, when sitting in traffic for 15-20 minutes. Overheating has not been an issue. The only issue is that ac blows warm at red lights. It blows nice and cold if the car is moving. According to a different thread, another poster was advised to look at radiator fan, so I looked there first.

With the hood up, didn't matter if car was cold or hot, confirmed by watching it with my eyes, the fan never comes on with compressor, or at any other time. Blades spin freely by hand, so not seized up.

Reaching the connector at the fan is a tight fit for my hand, so started up top. 40a fuse is good. Pulled that fuse and stuck multimeter probes in to measure voltage. Zero when compressor is off, voltage when it is on. It wasn't 12v, memory says 7-8ish, which was suspect but should have been enough to spin the blades.

I didn't know about a second fuse. I guessed this morning and tested the 7.5a labeled 'relay', which tested good.

Assuming I guessed the correct 7.5, I will reach in to the fan connection and test voltage and apply directly to fan next.