Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine swapping 2017 engine into 2015 mirage

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    That's actually the main thing I'm going to fix. I'm 99% sure it's a loose bolt in the bell, so I'm going to go around and retorque all of those. The leak is definitely coming from the seam between the transmission and engine. My guess is that as it heated up things shifted a bit, so now a bolt isn't as tight as it needs to be. I'm actually going to go through and retorque everything I touched, just to be sure I don't run into any other issues like this down the road.
    I don't understand how you're able to replace an engine yet think tightening the bellhousing will stop a transmission leak. It won't. There shouldn't be transmission fluid leaking period. The bellhousing should be dry both outside and inside.

And how could you drive with a broken engine mount, then keep driving until it broke the engine? I've driven some clapped out things with broken engine mounts but that's what ratchet straps are for.

The fix is gonna involve pulling the transmission out and replacing the torque seal unless something is cracked. I've ran into a few cars that shifted weird and had the shift indicator blink. That means you have trouble codes stored. Figure out what they are. The ones I had were for shift solenoid iirc. I tore apart the valve body and cleaned it up, drove it for a while trying to reprogram the shifting and it's been driving fine for months now.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't understand how you're able to replace an engine yet think tightening the bellhousing will stop a transmission leak. It won't. There shouldn't be transmission fluid leaking period. The bellhousing should be dry both outside and inside.

And how could you drive with a broken engine mount, then keep driving until it broke the engine? I've driven some clapped out things with broken engine mounts but that's what ratchet straps are for.

The fix is gonna involve pulling the transmission out and replacing the torque seal unless something is cracked. I've ran into a few cars that shifted weird and had the shift indicator blink. That means you have trouble codes stored. Figure out what they are. The ones I had were for shift solenoid iirc. I tore apart the valve body and cleaned it up, drove it for a while trying to reprogram the shifting and it's been driving fine for months now.
    Because I'm entirely self taught and I'm only learning what's necessary for now. Fluid came out when I separated them, I assumed that meant it was supposed to have fluid in it. I was wrong, it happens. You could probably swap your computer's CPU or RAM without knowing what a transistor is or how it works, yeah? Same thing. Swapping an engine is plug and play, for the most part. It's hard work, but it's not exactly like you can put the bell housing back on upside down or install the engine backwards. You undo some connectors, undo some bolts, pull it, swap, and put it all back together.

As for how I kept driving with a broken engine mount, I'll reiterate I'm broke, and I drive for a living. No choice there, really. Also, the crack is more likely to have come from overheating from mistakenly idling with a broken radiator fan, as I said in another post. The shift indicator isn't blinking now, it only did the slower blink when it was overheating after a 100+ mile drive because the fluid hadn't been changed in who knows how long. Nothing on the dash indicates what the issue with weird shifting might be. I'll either take it to my preferred shop and have them diagnose it, or just get a new transmission, but that's a problem for my future self. My only concern right now is saving up for a new radiator fan.

Sorry, I just offend offended people on accidents. I didn't read the entire thread. Reading is hard.

What I meant to say was Congrats on replacing your engine, there are many who can't change a tire without having the car laying flat on the ground or needing to start a thread about it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here and get an answer. But that can easily snowball into a thread discussing what tire pressure is recommended for wheelbarrow tires to increase their life.

Good luck finding a shop that can diagnose a cvt problem then offer a solution/suggestion other than saying it's screwed and you need a new one. But that's usually the easiest fix.

The cvt probably didn't overheat because the fluid wasn't replaced. Old oil doesn't get hotter than new oil. You say you need a rad fan. If it's not working that'd be my first guess as to overheating engine and transmission problems. But if the fluid has been overheated it should be replaced. Overheated oil is bad oil. I wish you had pics of your cracked block.

I mean that in the least offensive, non racist, sexist, way possible. Sorta
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-13-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Sorry, I just offend offended people on accidents. I didn't read the entire thread. Reading is hard.

What I meant to say was Congrats on replacing your engine, there are many who can't change a tire without having the car laying flat on the ground or needing to start a thread about it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here and get an answer. But that can easily snowball into a thread discussing what tire pressure is recommended for wheelbarrow tires to increase their life.

Good luck finding a shop that can diagnose a cvt problem then offer a solution/suggestion other than saying it's screwed and you need a new one. But that's usually the easiest fix.

The cvt probably didn't overheat because the fluid wasn't replaced. Old oil doesn't get hotter than new oil. You say you need a rad fan. If it's not working that'd be my first guess as to overheating engine and transmission problems. But if the fluid has been overheated it should be replaced. Overheated oil is bad oil. I wish you had pics of your cracked block.

I mean that in the least offensive, non racist, sexist, way possible. Sorta
    It's all good, no harm no foul. And thank you. The shop I have actually specializes in transmissions and they said they're comfortable diagnosing and repairing CVTs, so really the only issue will be if it's worth the cost to repair. Fingers crossed it's something stupid easy for them to fix, but we'll see.

As for the fluid overheating, all I know is that the CVT overheated one day, I changed the fluid (and started doing regular changes), and I haven't had issues with the CVT overheating since then despite doing much longer drives in much hotter ambient temperatures. Is it possible the filter was partially clogged, and changing the fluid cleared out just enough gunk to let it flow again? I don't know if that makes sense with regards to the transmission's cooling or fluid pumping systems, that's just wild speculation on my part to explain what I've seen.

I'll still have overheating issues with my engine if I let her idle too long, but I never have issues if I keep moving while she's running so I'd be surprised if that's what caused the CVT to overheat that one time. I could be wrong though, I'm by no means an expert.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...still have overheating issues with my engine if I let her idle too long
    ...but I never have issues if I keep moving while she's running...
    Are you sure your radiator fan is actually working?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Are you sure your radiator fan is actually working?
    Just to kind of consolidate info because it's a bit scattered across posts:

My radiator fan is 100% broken.
    I believe I accidentally idled too long at some point, which caused my old engine block to crack.
    One time earlier this year on a particularly long drive, my shift indicator blinked indicating the CVT was overheating.
    Later that day was the first time I changed the CVT fluid, and I've been keeping up with regular changes since then.
    I haven't had issues with the CVT overheating since I started doing regular changes, despite doing longer journeys in hotter temperatures.
    My radiator fan is still broken, meaning I have to be extremely careful how long I idle for so I don't ruin the new engine I just put in too.

Hopefully that helps clear things up

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My radiator fan is still broken, meaning I have to be extremely careful how long I idle for so I don't ruin the new engine I just put in too.
    OK...got it. I assumed the fan got fixed when the new engine went in.

You might consider running the heat on full blast if you think you are getting close to an overheating situation again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    OK...got it. I assumed the fan got fixed when the new engine went in.

You might consider running the heat on full blast if you think you are getting close to an overheating situation again.
    No worries. And yeah, I'll keep that in mind. I don't need to idle much with my job, but it's good to have a few tricks if I get stuck in a bad situation.