Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast key push button start.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fast key push button start.

I recently purchased a 2014 SE for my daughter with the push button start and unfortunately the car only came with one remote.

My question is if I loose the remote and I only have a copy of the actual key, am I SOL at that point?

Any options on how to get another remote?

Last edited by Shaft; 07-08-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    I recently purchased a 2014 SE for my daughter with the push button start and unfortunately the car only came with one remote.

My question is if I loose the remote and I only have a copy of the actual key, am SOL at that point?

Any options on how to get another remote?
    The hardware key only unlocks the passenger door.

You might be able to find another FAST key cheap online but be advised that once a FAST key is programmed to a car it cannot be used on another car (meaning, beware of buying used FAST keys.) Best to bite the bullet and get one from your dealer. It'll be expensive, but once you get a spare or two it'll only hurt once.

Don't wait on this one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I'm afraid of spending a lot of money on a key but roger that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I wonder if Cobrajet ever got his situation figured out. Check out this thread:

Programming Keyless Entry and Keyless Ignition Remote

If you have to get the reprogramming done at a dealer, consider getting a couple of extra remotes...not just one. You can program multiple remotes to the car...and the dealer probably will probably charge you for an hour of time (about $100). So whether he programs 1 or 5, you're still probably going to pay the same fee at the dealer.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-08-2020 at 11:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes Sir. Appreciate the input. Will call the dealer to see what the damage would be.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm looking at OEM transmitters on eBay and mitsubishipartswarehouse.com. 2014's seem to be unique. I see two different part numbers based on when the car was manufactured...

Name:  keyless.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  54.6 KB

Geez...the list price for one fob may be as high as $400!

I would consider calling a couple of good locksmiths in your area. Back in 2016, I was in a locksmith's shop getting a key cut. I asked about programming a third proximity key fob for my Mirage. He said his software wasn't up-to-date enough to cover that year yet. He told me to check back in a few months. He said if I brought him a fob, he would program it for $50. My Mitsubishi dealer's minimum charge for anything is $110.

I'm not sure how it works, but a used Mitsubishi fob can be "unlocked" so it can be programmed to another car. THIS guy on eBay is even selling the service?!? I've also seen used "ready-to-program" fobs on eBay.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Somewhere in a box of crap in my storage shed is a FOB from my wrecked 14 ES... Its really hot and I have zero desire to go dig, but if you cant find one, let me know...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm looking at OEM transmitters on eBay and mitsubishipartswarehouse.com. 2014's seem to be unique. I see two different part numbers based on when the car was manufactured...

I would consider calling a couple of good locksmiths in your area. Back in 2016, I was in a locksmith's shop getting a key cut. I asked about programming a third proximity key fob for my Mirage. He said his software wasn't up-to-date enough to cover that year yet. He told me to check back in a few months. He said if I brought him a fob, he would program it for $50. My Mitsubishi dealer's minimum charge for anything is $110.

I'm not sure how it works, but a used Mitsubishi fob can be "unlocked" so it can be programmed to another car. THIS guy on eBay is even selling the service?!? I've also seen used "ready-to-program" fobs on eBay.
    Awesome information. Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Somewhere in a box of crap in my storage shed is a FOB from my wrecked 14 ES... Its really hot and I have zero desire to go dig, but if you cant find one, let me know...
    Thanks. Will definitely keep you in mind.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Thats the exact same date they posted for the CVT being different too! Whats going on? We never did figure out what the differences were.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-09-2020),Top_Fuel (07-09-2020)