Thread: In case your Fast Key does not work

Country
    United States
    Thanks

In case your Fast Key does not work

I apologize if this has been discussed before but found this info in the Mitsubishi website FAQ section.

Is there an emergency key for the FAST-key?
    Yes, there is! In the event the battery dies in your FAST-key fob, you will still be able to start your car! First remove the ignition knob "cap" in your vehicle by slightly depressing the sides of the cap. Next, release the emergency key (looks like a "regular" key) from your FAST-key fob: If you turn your key fob over, there is a button on the back of the fob that releases the silver emergency key. Once released, remove the emergency key, turn it around, and place the end of the key (where the ring is) in the key fob. Insert the key into the ignition and turn the engine over. (You must make sure the FAST-key fob is attached/touching the emergency key when starting the engine; the emergency key does not snap into the FAST-key fob so you may have to hold the key and the fob when turning the key in the ignition. Once the engine has started, you can remove the FAST-key fob, leaving the emergency key in the ignition, and place the fob in a secure location.) You can now drive to your local Mitsubishi Dealer in order to have your vehicle diagnosed. You can also find additional information in your Owner's Manual about the emergency FAST-key operation.

For vehicles equipped with a One-touch Start System, you can find additional information regarding using the emergency key in your Owner's Manual.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaft For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Whew...that's too complicated.

If your FAST key stops working...

1) Pop the backup key out of the FAST fob and unlock the passenger side door
    2) Once you're in the car, start your car as follows...

Name:  fast key.jpg
Views: 4483
Size:  71.0 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-11-2020 at 04:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    First remove the ignition knob "cap" in your vehicle by slightly depressing the sides of the cap.
    Where is the "ignition knob cap" located?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Right...that's when I got lost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    It's what Mitsubishi used on their older models. It was located on the steering column. You turned a knob (like a key) instead of pushing a button on the dash.

Look at approximately 2:30 into this video clip below, & you will see him remove it to insert the backup key.

How to program a smart key to Mitsubishi Lancer 2011 using OBDSTAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG8kuHbv9FM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's what Mitsubishi used on their older models. It was located on the steering column. You turned a knob (like a key) instead of pushing a button on the dash.

Look at approximately 2:30 into this video clip below, & you will see him remove it to insert the backup key.
    Mine doesn't have that, and I suspect other Mirage models with the KOS (F.A.S.T.) key system don't have that either.

Hey Shaft, what specific manual did you get that information from? I understand you found it on Mitsubishi's website, but I don't see how it is applicable to the Mirage and wonder if it is intended for other Mitsubishi models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine doesn't have that, and I suspect other Mirage models with the KOS (F.A.S.T.) key system don't have that either.

Hey Shaft, what specific manual did you get that information from? I understand you found it on Mitsubishi's website, but I don't see how it is applicable to the Mirage and wonder if it is intended for other Mitsubishi models.
    I just logged into my Mitsubishi account and under the general FAQ section.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

I think it is safe to assume the smart key of Mitsubishi vehicles have changed over the years. What Shaft shared seems to relate to an older smart key system like the 2011 Lancer clip I shared in an earlier post, & it would not apply to the current system used on a 2014+ Mirage.

My guess is that the old smart key system was trying to incorporate/maintain the ability to lock the steering wheel when parked.

I don't remember owning a vehicle that didn't have steering wheel lock prior to my 2017 Mirage ES manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't remember owning a vehicle that didn't have steering wheel lock prior to my 2017 Mirage ES manual.
    Yeah, you'd have to go back to the 1960's era with dashboard ignition switches.