Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Throttle limiter for best ECO?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l'm calculating how many miles l can go before l need to fillup....l can go to 280 before l get gas, 280/9.2=30mpg...l don't go by the computer.
    Well there's your problem. That 280 number is a total approximation (made by a computer) that is quite low.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MIMirage For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMirage View Post
    Well there's your problem. That 280 number is a total approximation (made by a computer) that is quite low.
    Yea, l just got to use my foot better, but hopefully this spring will help, also dreading to work on my car in this 90 Degree heat >

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    l also installed a spring so when l push the pedal down it stays to where l can go at 3,000rpm...then if l need to speed up for whatever reason, l kick the pedal down which enables the spring to give me full throttle....all in all...awesome
    Any chance you could post a picture of this spring? I'm interested in learning more about how it works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    How Far can you go on the tank with the Mirage? l was told that below 2 squares your fuel pump has to work harder. l fill up when l have 2-3 squares left. That is also why l'm not getting good fuel economy.
    When you fill up your gas tank has nothing to do with fuel economy.

I check my mpg @ the gas pump. I was @ 288.4 miles yesterday, & it took 6.02 gallons to fill up (second click of the handle). 288.4/6.02 = 47.9 mpg. Most of that previous tank was an approximate 5-hour round trip going 60-75 mph depending on the highway (mix of state, county, & interstate). It was cool enough in the morning hours to drive with my driver's window open, & two rear windows open a a couple inches. I seldom use A/C, unless it gets really hot or want to listen to the radio better while on the highway. I could have easily gone another 120 miles before filling up, but I needed to make a bathroom/grab something eat stop, too! With COVID-19, I try to simplify/reduce my number of stops when traveling.

As far as squares left on the gas gauge, that has nothing to do with mpg other than your car is lighter with less gas in the tank. You could use all 8 square without issue, but I wouldn't stretch much beyond that.

I think of each bar (8 squares) as being approximately 1 gallon of gas. If you use up all the 8 bars, there seems to be about 1.5 gallons of gas left. If you haven't tested this out, the last bar will start flashing at some point. Even at that point there is no reason for alarm, unless you are 65+ miles from a gas station.

There is nothing wrong with adding gas at two or three bars. That's probably a good practice, but it's not impacting your mpg in a negative way. Something else is going on here? I never see below 40 mpg in the summertime with my 2017 ES manual. I tend to be above 45+ mpg most of the summer (last three tanks were in the 46.8-47.9 mpg range), which is about typical. Winter averages drop around 42-43 mpg on most tanks. I never look at the mpg gauge on my car. I calculate at the pump.

I never look at the economy light on the dash or the tach. I shift when it time to shift, whether it's accelerating or climbing a hill.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    l ordered a regular spring from summit racing and got thisName:  krc-1038l_td_xl.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  63.1 KBName:  krc-1038l_ob_xl.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  26.2 KB...going to order a small spring to see if l can somehow mount it under the pedal...just like in the photo, l can only adjust one way, which is not good if l need speed.....probably better to use my foot lol. Basically l want to mount a spring underneath so it makes it harder for me to push WOT, but we'll see.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    l ordered a regular spring from summit racing and got thisName:  krc-1038l_td_xl.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  63.1 KBName:  krc-1038l_ob_xl.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  26.2 KB...going to order a small spring to see if l can somehow mount it under the pedal...just like in the photo, l can only adjust one way, which is not good if l need speed.....probably better to use my foot lol. Basically l want to mount a spring underneath so it makes it harder for me to push WOT, but we'll see.
    I think it is a mistake to mess with the mechanicals of the gas pedal. I definitely wouldn't put a device behind the gas pedal that prevents its full range of motion.

I may not understand the issue here? I find nothing odd or different about the gas pedal on a Mirage. Yes, the clutch is lighter than most manuals, but the gas pedal seems pretty normal to me.

As a driving instructor, I work with students who have very little driving experience. Mastering the touch of the gas pedal is not a huge issue. I realize a manual complicates things, but it shouldn't take an extra spring to improve the driving of one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think it is a mistake to mess with the mechanicals of the gas pedal. I definitely wouldn't put a device behind the gas pedal that prevents its full range of motion.

I may not understand the issue here? I find nothing odd or different about the gas pedal on a Mirage. Yes, the clutch is lighter than most manuals, but the gas pedal seems pretty normal to me.

As a driving instructor, I work with students who have very little driving experience. Mastering the touch of the gas pedal is not a huge issue. I realize a manual complicates things, but it shouldn't take an extra spring to improve the driving of one.
    Issue is l'm trying to get the best economy on my little car...the most l can get out of it is 30mpg if l take my time shifting and 26mpg if l push the car hard....when l first bought it, l got 35mpg...but it's slowly going down...l understand not having full range of motion is a saftey issue, but if it means less fill ups and better mpg, l'll take it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    before

Name:  IMG_20200718_182447.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  96.6 KB

after

Name:  IMG_20200718_193808.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  83.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Issue is l'm trying to get the best economy on my little car...the most l can get out of it is 30mpg if l take my time shifting and 26mpg if l push the car hard....when l first bought it, l got 35mpg...but it's slowly going down...l understand not having full range of motion is a saftey issue, but if it means less fill ups and better mpg, l'll take it.
    Those numbers have no basis in reality. You are trying to fix a problem that may not exist.

Again, you have no idea what you are actually getting for MPG until you track the gallons and mileage and do the math. Dividing 280 by 9.2 means nothing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    l ordered a regular spring from summit racing and got this
    That's a spring? It looks like a throttle stop from here. Do you have a link for this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)