Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lower Ball joint rubber boot / control arm

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That boot looks dried up and weathered. I haven't seen a worn ball joint on these things yet.

With all the Mirages that you have, you have not seen a cracked / dried up boot?

Nope. I'll get some pics of the highest mileage one. Steve has the highest mileage in the forum and I don't believe he's replaced anything like that either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bumping this up. From replacing my hubs, looks like my ball joints are wrecked - 2014 @ a little over 100k miles.

Can someone take a look at rockauto's offerings and let me know if the cheap ones should not be considered. I'm trying to keep any mirage-related cost at a minimal. I'll probably make the mirage a low-mileage 3rd vehicle by mid/end of next year.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401

The joints are wrecked or the boots?
    If you're trying to keep cost's minimal just buy the 2 ball joints for $8 a piece rather than the entire control arm. But for $40 that Dorman arm looks like a bargain.
    Or if you just need new boots then find new boots? The ball joint boots on my 2014 are looking pretty worn with 290k kms but the actual joints themselves are still tight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Boots are.

I thought the ball joints are stamped and non-serviceable?

I dont mind getting the LCAs; just hoping to get the cheaper ones vs the more expensive ones.

SKP - $100.79
    DELPHI - $113.79
    MEVOTECH - $164.79

Gotcha. I didn't realize til now that the service manual says to replace entire control arm if ball joint is worn.

LOWER ARM BALL JOINT DUST COVER CHECK
    M1332008601120
    1.Press the lower arm ball joint dust cover with your finger to check that there are no cracks or damage in the lower arm ball joint cover.
    2.If the lower arm ball joint dust cover is cracked or damaged, replace the lower arm assembly (Refer to P.33-13).
    NOTE:
    If the lower arm ball joint dust cover is cracked or damaged, it is possible that there may also be damage to the ball joint.
    If you're replacing the control arm and want the cheapest route then buy the cheapest one.
    Rockauto shows the one control arm for $40. Buy that one.

I looked up the part number on Dorman's website and it looks to be the right number but rock auto has the wrong image on their website.
    For the other side, I'd just buy the cheapest one. I've used Mevotech ball joints with good and bad results. Same with Moog.

More money's doesn't always guarantee more betters.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-04-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Roger.

LCA removal/install is literally just unbolting right? Will check the tubes when before I purchase.

Correct. 2 bolts, Hold it to the subframe, one more for the sway bar end link. And ball joint nut obviously. I might have to break down and order some dust covers(boots) and see if they would work to save the next guy a few hundred doll hairs https://www.suspension.com/universal-dust-boots.asp

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i think it can be pressed out.Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-05 092258.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  64.9 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-05-2021)

Probably. I’ve replaced “non serviceable” staked in u-joints before.