Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Ball joint rubber boot / control arm

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lower Ball joint rubber boot / control arm

I haven't heard a lot of talk about folks replacing the lower control arm due to the ball joint being worn out. Noticed this yesterday while removing the wheel well liner to install new LED lights and replacing the CVT aux filter.

As you can see my rubber boot is to worn (same on both sides) but not certain if it means it's time for a replacement. Steering is tight and I didn't see any movement on the ball joint when rocking the wheel. Car has 66k miles. Any thoughts?

By the way I couldn't believe the amount of junk that has accumulated behind the liner ..... mostly leaves , worst on the driver side.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would check with your FLAPS to see if they have a universal replacement boots. Rock auto only shows a complete control arm & their universal boots are sold out...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I would check with your FLAPS to see if they have a universal replacement boots. Rock auto only shows a complete control arm & their universal boots are sold out...
    Pardon my ignorance but what's FLAPS ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    I've used universal polyurethane boot on my Metro before.

Is the boot easy to remove on the Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    Sorry, "Friendly Local Auto Parts Store"
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Modern ball joints tend to last a very long time as long as you don't let the boots completely deteriorate so that the grease gets out and dirt and water get in. Yours are getting there, but they're not leaking grease yet, so your ball joints should be fine.

As has been said, you can just replace the boots. If you do, you'll want to thoroughly clean the exposed ball joint and pack them with some good synthetic grease.

FWIW, the Mirage factory ball joints are technically not replaceable. They are pressed in, and you have to replace the whole lower control arm. Aftermarket replacements are cheapish. I got a set (not because mine failed, but because I wanted to modify them for racing) for something like $90 each.

Also worthy of note, they use a nyloc nut on the ball joint. More typical "old school" setup would be for that nut to be a castlelated (slotted) nut and a hole in the ball joint stud for a cotter pin to keep it from loosening. Technically, you're supposed to replace those nyloc nuts rather than reuse them. They'd "probably" be okay to reuse once or twice... but, pretty scary to think of what would happen if one backed off. So, you might want to source new nuts to go with the new boots if you're re-booting.
    Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Modern ball joints tend to last a very long time as long as you don't let the boots completely deteriorate so that the grease gets out and dirt and water get in. Yours are getting there, but they're not leaking grease yet, so your ball joints should be fine.

As has been said, you can just replace the boots. If you do, you'll want to thoroughly clean the exposed ball joint and pack them with some good synthetic grease.

FWIW, the Mirage factory ball joints are technically not replaceable. They are pressed in, and you have to replace the whole lower control arm. Aftermarket replacements are cheapish. I got a set (not because mine failed, but because I wanted to modify them for racing) for something like $90 each.

Also worthy of note, they use a nyloc nut on the ball joint. More typical "old school" setup would be for that nut to be a castlelated (slotted) nut and a hole in the ball joint stud for a cotter pin to keep it from loosening. Technically, you're supposed to replace those nyloc nuts rather than reuse them. They'd "probably" be okay to reuse once or twice... but, pretty scary to think of what would happen if one backed off. So, you might want to source new nuts to go with the new boots if you're re-booting.
    Thank you for the informative input. Just need to figure out the correct replacement boot.

That boot looks dried up and weathered. I haven't seen a worn ball joint on these things yet.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That boot looks dried up and weathered. I haven't seen a worn ball joint on these things yet.
    Yeah I think it's dried up and not necessarily a worn joint.

How would I go about figuring out what is the correct size replacement boot? I want to replace it before it starts leaking grease.

https://www.amazon.ca/Diagtree-couli...90016155&psc=1

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)