Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That dumb Mirage Key symbol is getting the best of me

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Dad had 4 VW Beetles, back in the late 60s and early 70s. All way before my time, but he loves VWs and says they are the best.
    Drove across Canada in one and got an oil change at the dealer in Vancouver.

Does the '53 have the split rear window?

I was out west, in Edmonton-to-Jasper, first time last may 2019. Glad I went considering what has happened since. Anyway I saw a silver Porsche 356 near Pyramid mountain, I rolled down my rental suv's window to hear it go by. Pretty sweet!

*Edit I'm from Ontario near Sarnia.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The '53 no longer had the split window ('52 was the last model with it, I believe). Flat windshield. P.S. Nicest car I ever saw was a Mercedes 300SL (in Edson, Alberta) with gull doors.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dieter For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    The '53 no longer had the split window ('52 was the last model with it, I believe). Flat windshield. P.S. Nicest car I ever saw was a Mercedes 300SL (in Edson, Alberta) with gull doors.
    I know the car, I have never seen one in real life. Only in pictures. One issue they had with gull wing doors is if you roll the car, how do you get out? Not sure Tesla thought of this with their new SUV.

I drove through Edson last spring. Anyway I saw a newer Aston Martin driving near Grand Bend once.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Got a 1953 Beetle in 1953. Got the gold pin for it - the 100,000 km club. Had several other beetles since - nothing but good experiences.
    78 hp Mirage probably doesn't seem underpowered to someone that once drove a 1953 VW Beetle.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Beetle had 25 HP. I put truck chains on it and went hunting in places no-one dared go. Every cut-line and trail was game. Just had to make sure you didn't hang up on the belly-pan. My wife took it in the worst snow-storms over wind-rows without hesitation. You just had to make sure you didn't exceed 10 mph or the chains would hit the metal.

All the power and fun was in the the shifting. Love that part on the Mirage. AND - even the gas mileage is better than the beetle - which got around 40 mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The Beetle had 25 HP.
    This is why I chuckle every time I hear someone whine about the Mirage only having 78 hp. I never owned a VW Beetle, but I've owned 3 older cars that had less horsepower than the present-day Mirage. None of them seemed underpowered to me, but they also didn't beat the Mirage in the mpg department.

I only buy vehicles with manual transmissions. I really like the powertrain of the 5-speed manual Mirage, too!

Last edited by Mark; 07-13-2020 at 01:22 AM.