Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    Whatever floats your boat. Just say'n. They all play games.
    I lost a factory tire on my Mirage witin the first year to sidewall blow. Factory Dunlop Enasaves were about $150/tire at the time. I wasn't going to pay that price for a low rated tire with no warranty, when I could get better rated one with a warranty for $40/tire. I bought a pair of Federal SS657 for $80 rather than $300 for a pair of factory tires. I felt the Federal tire was just as good if not better for less than one third the price. This was long before Kumho & Nexen were offering a better 165/65r14 tire in the States.

I didn't mean no disrespect to what you shared, but unlike a Chevy pickup truck small Mirage tires are few to pick from. Companies like Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, etc... don't even offer a 165 wide tire.

Falken made a lower rated tire with an "A" added to the name for another model, but I forgot where I saw that.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I lost a factory tire on my Mirage witin the first year to sidewall blow. Factory Dunlop Enasaves were about $150/tire at the time. I wasn't going to pay that price for a low rated tire with no warranty, when I could get better rated one with a warranty for $40/tire. I bought a pair of Federal SS657 for $80 rather than $300 for a pair of factory tires. I felt the Federal tire was just as good if not better for less than one third the price. This was long before Kumho & Nexen were offering a better 165/65r14 tire in the States.

I didn't mean no disrespect to what you shared, but unlike a Chevy pickup truck small Mirage tires are few to pick from. Companies like Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, etc... don't even offer a 165 wide tire.

Falken made a lower rated tire with an "A" added to the name for another model, but I forgot where I saw that.
    How about the Armstrong? Like $60

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    How about the Armstrong? Like $60
    The Armstrong tire looks very promising.

Tire Armstrong Blu-Trac PC 165/65R14 79T AS A/S All Season - 700AA/85,000 mile warranty. Their claim is better than anyone else.

History -

"Armstrong Tires was founded in 1912 by George F. Armstrong in a small New Jersey loft. By the early 1960s, Armstrong had become a well-known tire brand and the 5th largest tire manufacturer in the world.

Purchased by Pirelli in the late 1980s, by 2012 the brand was close to being phased out completely, which is when ZAFCO stepped in with the goal of acquiring and rebuilding Armstrong from the ground up."

Search where Armstrong tires are made -

"Our tires are manufactured in our state-of-the-art factory just outside Bangkok, Thailand and are distributed from our warehouses throughout the United States to ensure speedy supply and readily available inventory."

I feel like I remember Armstrong tractor tires as a kid. Some of our wagons & equipment may have had Armstrong tires, because it's a company name that doesn't seem new to me. Most of my grandpa's wagons had used airplane tires, because they were cheap & tough.

An Armstrong 165/65r14 offering hasn't been around for very long, but they caught my attention because of their warranty.

"Armstrong offers one of the best warranties in the tire industry. The brand promotes a limited 6 year warranty covering manufacturing defects. They also provide a road hazard warranty and 24/7 roadside assistance for the first 2 years after the purchase is made. Furthermore, this model comes with an 85,000 mile treadwear warranty."

If I needed tires for my Mirage, I would surely consider them. Walmart even carries them online for $62.99/tire.. Walmart will mount their tires for free, but they have a charge for lifetime balancing.

This would be my guess about the Armstrong tires - they will wear quite well, but they probably wouldn't be great in snow or on ice. Some all-season tires do better all seasons than others. Their price is good!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (04-21-2024),Grumpy Bear (04-21-2024),inuvik (04-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like I remember Armstrong tractor tires as a kid. Some of our wagons & equipment may have had Armstrong tires, because it's a company name that doesn't seem new to me.
    You remember well. Lots of my antique tractors still have Armstrongs on them.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You remember well. Lots of my antique tractors still have Armstrongs on them.
    What we call antique tractors today were the tractors my grandparents, uncles, and my parents all farmed with it when I was a kid. My dad was pretty much a Farmall guy, but my relatives had a real mix of Minneapolis Molines, Olivers, John Deere (putt, putt two cylinders), Massey Harris/Ferguson, & Fords.

For some odd reason, the Armstrong Rhino symbol is planted in my brain. I can picture Armstrong tire signs posted on the walls of the old time tractor dealerships.

Thanks for confirming that Basic!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What we call antique tractors today were the tractors my grandparents, uncles, and my parents all farmed with it when I was a kid. My dad was pretty much a Farmall guy, but my relatives had a real mix of Minneapolis Molines, Olivers, John Deere (putt, putt two cylinders), Massey Harris/Ferguson, & Fords.

For some odd reason, the Armstrong Rhino symbol is planted in my brain. I can picture Armstrong tire signs posted on the walls of the old time tractor dealerships.

Thanks for confirming that Basic!
    Oliver 88 for field work, Ford 8N for mucking out the barn.