Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark... Did you ever get your Vredestein tires you backordered?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    we have about 5/64th's and 67,000 miles on the OE Falkens. I plan on replacing at 75K if they will last.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    we have about 5/64th's and 67,000 miles on the OE Falkens. I plan on replacing at 75K if they will last.
    That's quite impressive mileage for the factory Falkens. I wondered how those would hold up, because they have a low UTQG rating of 320 BB with no warranty. If you get 75,000 miles out of them, that would be amazing! 67,000 miles is even impressive!

The 175/65r14 Falken tire without the extra "A" added to the tire name has a 720 AB rating & 80,000 mile warranty. I think your Falken tires have done better than any factory Dunlop Enasave tires of the past (just going by what others have shared).

Tire Rack has contacted me & asked if I wanted to change my order. I want the tires for next winter. Why cancel my order of $68/tires, & then reorder them at a higher price in the fall? I told them I was willing to wait. They probably prefer I cancel my order.

There is no current date for incoming tires, but they are still listing them. They have been out of stock before, and then back in stock again. I have no need for them now. Hopefully, they honor my order eventually.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's quite impressive mileage for the factory Falkens. I wondered how those would hold up, because they have a low UTQG rating of 320 BB with no warranty. If you get 75,000 miles out of them, that would be amazing! 67,000 miles is even impressive!
    Yeah I was pretty concerned with the 320 until the fifth tire rotation (every 7,500 miles) I then realized they were wearing like most OE tires.
    They are almost -- but not quite to the wear bars.
    I keep the tires around 38psi cold and I would guess about 75% (quite possibly more) of the 67,000 miles on the car has been highway.
    I imagine the ratio of highway vs. city driving has helped to maximize longevity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I was pretty concerned with the 320 until the fifth tire rotation (every 7,500 miles) I then realized they were wearing like most OE tires.
    They are almost -- but not quite to the wear bars.
    I keep the tires around 38psi cold and I would guess about 75% (quite possibly more) of the 67,000 miles on the car has been highway.
    I imagine the ratio of highway vs. city driving has helped to maximize longevity.
    Given your experience with them, I would include them in the conversation -

165/65r14 all-season tire choices are limited. The Kumho & Nexen are the ones I watch (often under $70/tire @ Walmart), but it may be worth considering the Falken tires, too!

Kumho Solus TA31 (500 AA/60,000 mile warranty)
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460 AA/50,000 mile warranty)
    Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320 AB/no warranty) - today's factory tire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I have mentioned this here before, but a friendly reminder from your resident tire engineer, but UTQG is a pretty useless way to compare tires tbh...

UTQG treadwear rating means that the manufacturer took the tires to a testing facility, put it on a test vehicle and measured it against a standard tire with a 100 treadwear rating. If a tire is rated 300, that means it is expected to wear three times slower than the 100-UTQG rated tire.

How does that translate to miles? It doesn’t.

Tire tread rating simply means that when a tire was tested against a control tire, its tread wore two, three, four or more times slower than the standard it was tested against.

Then add in that 320 is only relevant to other Falken branded tires... cannot be used vs other brands. And the soup thickens...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really cannot complain about the Falken OE tire. For the price and lack of warranty from TireRack I do not think it would be a tire I personally would consider. For this size tire I don't think I could pay $400+ unless Michelin offered something with a tread wear rating in the 600+ area.
    I am driving my rusting and rusted out Pylmouth horizon with a set of Michelin Defender 175/70/14 that I bought about 10 years ago discontinued. I have put over 30,000 miles on them since and they have 6/32" on them still. They have a tread wear rating of 800. They also had an 80,000 mile treadwear warranty.
    These tires will most like outlast the car. I have seriously considered bolting them on the Mirage to see how they would fit. Anytime I want the best tire for whatever purpose, I check Michelin first. The 165/65/14 is just too much of a niche size right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Again... that 800 only means it is 8 times better than their own stickiest, fastest wearing race car tire... granted with Michelin you will actually see that correlation pan out... whereas with some other brands an 800 might only net you 40-50k
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post

How does that translate to miles? It doesn’t.
    This may be true. However, in my experience the higher the treadwear rating the longer the warranty in miles.
    Since the warranty is in effect until the tread is usually done to 2/32" it would seem some correlation can be made between the higher treadwear and a tire that would last longer.

Am I wrong in that thinking?
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 05-26-2023 at 10:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Again... that 800 only means it is 8 times better than their own stickiest, fastest wearing race car tire... granted with Michelin you will actually see that correlation pan out... whereas with some other brands an 800 might only net you 40-50k
    175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S has a 720AA rating & 80,000 mile warranty.

165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S has a 320AB ratng & no warranty.

This is the discussion Basic. It's the same brand of tire.

I also know Steve (Cheap Plastic car) was getting 80,000+ miles out of these higher rated Falken tires. I take a mental note of those things.

Knowing Christopher B may get 75,000 miles from his factory tires is reassuring, and I don't feel stupid saying that one bit!

No one that I know thinks these ratings are the Holy Grail of tire comparisons. Most don't even know what the numbers mean.

I am a retired science teacher. UTQG is sort of like stating a lousy hypothesis, & a hypothesis is meant to be tested.. Learning what doesn't work can be as valuable as what does work sometimes.

I have no problem saying a high rated tire sucks and a lower rated tire is better. I think my lower rated Nexen tires may be superior to my higher rated Kumho tires on my Mirage. I personally don't mind having that discussion. It also comes down to what I paid for them when I reflect on overall value.

To summarize our discussion, I suspected the factory Falken Sincera SN250A A/S tires may be inferior to the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires, because their ratings are drastically different. It made me a bit skeptical at least. What Christopher B shared removed some of that for me. I don't feel silly for sharing that!

Last edited by Mark; 05-27-2023 at 02:54 AM.