Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I assume you got the Dunlop Winter Maxx 2, & I think those are a great choice. Those & the Nokian Nordman 7 are the most common ones I see available. Nordman 7 can be had with or without studs, but I live in an area where studs are not allowed. I think either snow tires is a decent choice (which is good, because there's not much else beside a few lesser known Chinese brands).
    Correct winter maxx 2 is what I purchased

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdollatari For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have bought four new Falken Sincera SN250A A/S and have had one side wall bubble, and one puncture (from a block of wood). They may indeed be inferior e.g. replaced two tires in a matter of months when compared to the SN250 A/S

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    I have bought four new Falken Sincera SN250A A/S and have had one side wall bubble, and one puncture (from a block of wood). They may indeed be inferior e.g. replaced two tires in a matter of months when compared to the SN250 A/S
    Pairs of 165/65r14 all-season tires I have tried so far.

Dunlop Enasave (past) - wore better than expected, but lost one within 8 months (sidewall issue)
    Federal SS-657 (past) - no longer available, but they were decent for $40 each
    Since I lost a Dunlop, I used the Dunlop & Federal pairs of tires together for a few years.

Nexen N'Priz AH5 (current) - favorite so far!
    Kumho Solus TA31 (current) - 2nd favorite!

So far I like the Nexen tires the best. I was discussing tires (my driving school car is in need of them) with my local mechanic the other day, & he brought up Nexen tires, too. I like picking the brains of a guy like him. He does a good number of tires, because he's one of the only guys in town (in our entire county) that has a tire alignment set up.

Nexen tires are $80-85 most of the time, but I see them on sale at times. I bought a pair for $50/tire from tires-easy.com a few years ago. Walmart has them for $67.10/tire today, which is cheaper than the Dunlop, Falken, or Kumho. The Kumho tires are usually cheaper. Tire prices jump up & down all the time now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I have the Nexen AH5 165/65r14 on my Mirage also and they are great. Previous two sets were Federal SS-657's which replaced the OEM Dun-pop Everfails which I had repeated punctures and 2 of the 4 had sidewall bubbles before 20k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    OEM Dun-pop Everfails...
    Had a good chuckle on that! Your tires sound like a set of Maypops I used to run. What are Maypops a friend asked me one time. "You know ... you be ridin' round town and them sumbiches maypop at ANY time."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-10-2023),inuvik (06-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Anyone ever run an Imperial Snow Dragon tire?

What about a Kumho Solus HA31 in winter? I know they're "all weather" but in my experience anything that's not a dedicated winter tire is awful on snow and ice. Just curious if that's the case with these.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    Anyone ever run an Imperial Snow Dragon tire?

What about a Kumho Solus HA31 in winter? I know they're "all weather" but in my experience anything that's not a dedicated winter tire is awful on snow and ice. Just curious if that's the case with these.
    I have kumho solus ha 32, does that count?

I drove the kumho tires on the same day as my slightly used studded, dedicated winter tires (I forget the brand)
    Conditions were packed snow, cold (around -20 c). The All-weather tires, to my surprise, clearly outperformed the studded winter tires.

So that will be the last set of studded tires I will ever buy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That DOES help, thanks! I see plenty of review saying they're good in winter but some people consider light flurries to be a snowstorm.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    That DOES help, thanks! I see plenty of review saying they're good in winter but some people consider light flurries to be a snowstorm.
    The all weather kumho tires were brand new at the time, but they were better.

Having driven only 4wd or awd vehicles for a number of years, I had a hard time with the little 2wd mirage, lol. On snow, ice and slush, it is very easy to spin the front tires in first gear, from a stop. I'm not used to that feeling, and it surprised me with such a tiny engine.
    But that spin was worse with my studded tires, I thought it would be completely eliminated, but no.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

mirthmobile (09-10-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    The all weather kumho tires were brand new at the time, but they were better.

Having driven only 4wd or awd vehicles for a number of years, I had a hard time with the little 2wd mirage, lol. On snow, ice and slush, it is very easy to spin the front tires in first gear, from a stop. I'm not used to that feeling, and it surprised me with such a tiny engine.
    But that spin was worse with my studded tires, I thought it would be completely eliminated, but no.

I've daily driven a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic in one form or another for the past 20 years, winters included. They can be a lot of fun in snow but you can barely breathe on the throttle without it spinning. I have a feeling the Mirage will be night and day different, though it'll be interesting to see how the little pizza cutter tires on the Mirage do.

I love that we use the same size tire as a Can Am Spyder