Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wish more customer reviews existed for the new Kumho Solus TA51a tires, because they may be the standard to judge all other 165/65r14 tires.
    Most websites have a policy that if a customer gives a bad review, and include the word(s) puke, vomit, crap, s--t, dung, they remove the review. That's probably why you don't see many reviews on those tires.

Kumho is claiming "resonance noise cancellers"
    I'm surprised they don't put "Formula 1 car grip and 1 million mile (limited) warranty" too. They'd promote that if Hyundai told them to.
    lies LIES lies LIES lies LIES LIES!

Thus, I'm glad we have guys like 7milesout to test the cheap Armstrong tires for us!
    I'll *consider* them, but still not sure what I will actually do. According to my "interesting tire math" thread, I still have about "a year to go, and sparks to throw," before I buy new tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I thought the first two digits refer to the week, next two to the year, so your tires were made in the 49th week of 2023, just before Christmas
    This is correct
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

BigMW (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Most websites have a policy that if a customer gives a bad review, and include the word(s) puke, vomit, crap, s--t, dung, they remove the review. That's probably why you don't see many reviews on those tires.

I'm surprised they don't put "Formula 1 car grip and 1 million mile (limited) warranty" too. They'd promote that if Hyundai told them to.
    lies LIES lies LIES lies LIES LIES!

I'll *consider* them, but still not sure what I will actually do. According to my "interesting tire math" thread, I still have about "a year to go, and sparks to throw," before I buy new tires.
    Long term reviews on new tires don't show up instantly. I read customer reviews, but I am not stupid enough to realize they aren't somewhat censored. Apparently, reviews on Vredestein tires being quiet are worthy of sharing, but not other brands. I get it! Thanks for the clarification on that!

You are entitled to your opinion, but I am extremely happy with the Nexen & Kumho tires that are currently on my Mirage. They are definitely a step up from the Federal & Dunlop tires I have used before them. My small town mechanic who services our driving school cars is quite positive about Nexen tires for his customers. Having one of the few tire alignment machines in town, he does quite a few tires per year.

I somewhat expect you to bash Korean tires, but I really hope NO ONE takes you seriously. I highly doubt my new Vredestein Tires made in India are anything special, but I suggest you buy your own & prove me wrong.

We all know 165/65r14 tire options are somewhat limited in the States. I was trying to be nice & share how Kumho has incorporated some new technology into their new tires to reduce noise, because you expressed a concern about that issue. That was obviously a mistake on my part. I am sincerely sorry about that. I won't make that mistake again!

On a personal level, I want to support the few tire companies that are making quality 165/65r14 tires for the American market, & I am a bit miffed at those who don't even bother. I don't lose sleep over it, however. Using 175/65r14 tires instead of 165/65r14 tires is perfectly fine, too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I was trying to be nice & share how Kumho has incorporated some new technology into their new tires to reduce noise, because you expressed a concern about that issue. That was obviously a mistake on my part. I am sincerely sorry about that. I won't make that mistake again!
    Hey Mark. I'm just light heartedly pulling your leg. I have a real bad taste left in my mouth from Korean anything, after having to experience the nightmare of working for Hyundai-Kia. That nightmare was highlighted after having worked for Toyota. Toyota / their Japanese engineers absolutely try to leave everything they touch in a better place. They absolutely care for the customers. The Korean engineers? They only try to look good for their management. It ends there.

Now that doesn't mean Kuhmo and Nexen are no good. I just have fun poking at them, just to stir up a hornets nest.

That said, I do appreciate your tire info, more than you may realize. And for proof, I have a question for you. Because I sometimes put more weight on the rear of my car through a metal bar that sticks out (I don't do this all that much, but I do this sometimes), I do have some concern when I'm putting more weight back there that the tires that are holding the extra weight might go pop crackle fizz. My question is: The Kuhmos and Nexen, do you feel they are also more "heavy duty" than other 165's you've ran? Or do they simply feel more quality / quiet / balanced than other tires?

I try to balance my loads on my utility trailer, in order to keep my extra weight to 80 - 100 pounds max on the car. That's 40 to 50 pounds per tire. That's really not that big of a deal. But it would be a big deal if it went pop crackle fizz at 65 mph with my cute little M109R on there. So, I'd appreciate to read your feedback on which tire you might feel sports an advantage in the respect of "heavy duty."

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (04-16-2024),inuvik (04-16-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, why do you suppose Tire Rack has such high ratings on the Vredesteins when they’re not very high priced (maybe they’re just cheaper wholesale and brought up to regular retail?) and they can’t be selling many when they are so hard to stock?Name:  IMG_9530.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  94.8 KBName:  IMG_9531.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  85.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tire Rack has a very rigorous set of testing parameters that it does in house. Those numbers are from their tests on their scales. Price doesn't factor in... at least it's not supposed to, although I challenge anyone to not potentially up the scale even a tiny bit when a good performer is also a good price. But overall, Tire Rack is very fair.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (Today),Eggman (Yesterday),Top_Fuel (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Mark, why do you suppose Tire Rack has such high ratings on the Vredesteins when theyÂ’re not very high priced (maybe theyÂ’re just cheaper wholesale and brought up to regular retail?) and they canÂ’t be selling many when they are so hard to stock?
    Kumho Solus TA51a 165/65R14 79T is the cheapest 165/65r14 tire Tire Rack currently carries. This tire has a 640AA UTQG rating & a 75,000 mile warranty. (6 Years / 75,000 Miles for the T-Speed Rated) This tire is $92/tire everywhere, and it blows away anything else that Tire Rack carries in my opinion.

$92 - Kumho - 640AA/75,000 mile warranty
    TR's other 165/65r14 options -
    $98.90 Falken Tire - 320BB/no warranty
    $103.77 Vredestein - 400AA/45,000 mile warranty
    $142.92 Dunlop - 340AB/no warranty
    $164.91 - Bridgestone - 260AB/40,000 mlle warranty

Let's be very clear here. I bought my Vredestein tires on sale ($68/tire), and I plan to use them as snow tires (3PMSF). My first impression of them - the rubber seems soft like a snow tire. I do not expect these tires to wear well in the summer. I'm a bit surprised their warranty is as good as it is. I would NEVER pay $100+ for these tires. There are better choices!

If you're paying full price, the Kumho tire is the ONLY tire I would buy from Tire rack.

You can buy a much better 175/65r14 tire for way less money @ Tire Rack. For example:

$81/tire - 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S -720AB/80,000 mile warranty The 165/65r14 Falken tire is not even close to this one. Steve's Cheap Plastic Car got high mileage out of Falken tires like these. His Mirage had 307,000+ miles on it when he sold it.

I am not a tire expert. When I see a good deal, I buy them. I really like the Nexen tires currently on my Mirage. They are typically $80-90/tires. I bought a pair when I saw them on sale for $50/tire. A year or so later, I needed them. Likewise, I bought the Vredestein tires for winter, because my old snow tires have done 7 winters already. When I saw them for $68/tire, I jump all over that. I didn't think it would take 16 months to get them, but I'm set for the next 10 winters now.
    Last edited by Mark; Today at 03:02 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hey Mark. I'm just light heartedly pulling your leg. I have a real bad taste left in my mouth from Korean anything, after having to experience the nightmare of working for Hyundai-Kia. That nightmare was highlighted after having worked for Toyota. Toyota / their Japanese engineers absolutely try to leave everything they touch in a better place. They absolutely care for the customers. The Korean engineers? They only try to look good for their management. It ends there.

Now that doesn't mean Kuhmo and Nexen are no good. I just have fun poking at them, just to stir up a hornets nest.

That said, I do appreciate your tire info, more than you may realize. And for proof, I have a question for you. Because I sometimes put more weight on the rear of my car through a metal bar that sticks out (I don't do this all that much, but I do this sometimes), I do have some concern when I'm putting more weight back there that the tires that are holding the extra weight might go pop crackle fizz. My question is: The Kuhmos and Nexen, do you feel they are also more "heavy duty" than other 165's you've ran? Or do they simply feel more quality / quiet / balanced than other tires?

I try to balance my loads on my utility trailer, in order to keep my extra weight to 80 - 100 pounds max on the car. That's 40 to 50 pounds per tire. That's really not that big of a deal. But it would be a big deal if it went pop crackle fizz at 65 mph with my cute little M109R on there. So, I'd appreciate to read your feedback on which tire you might feel sports an advantage in the respect of "heavy duty."

Thanks!
    Sorry, I get grumpy sometimes!

All tires come with specs. You just have to click on them.

165/65r14 tires offered @ Tire Rack & their payload ratings -
    Kumho - 963 pounds/max 51 psi
    Falken - 963 pounds/max 51 psi
    Vredestein - 963 pounds/max 51 psi
    Dunlop - 963 pounds/max 44 psi
    Bridgestone - 937 pounds/max 44 psi

You see a trend - all but one have a payload capacity of 963 pounds. The most expensive LRR tire has the least.

Want more payload capacity?

Buy larger tires like the 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S I just mentioned in the previous post. It has a payload of 1,047 pounds/max 51 psi. My guess is most 175/65r14 tires will be the same.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry, I get grumpy sometimes!

All tires come with specs. You just have to click on them.

165/65r14 tires offered @ Tire Rack & their payload ratings -
    Kumho - 963 pounds/max 51 psi
    Falken - 963 pounds/max 51 psi
    Vredestein - 963 pounds/max 51 psi
    Dunlop - 963 pounds/max 44 psi
    Bridgestone - 937 pounds/max 44 psi

You see a trend - all but one have a payload capacity of 963 pounds. The most expensive LRR tire has the least.

Want more payload capacity?

Buy larger tires like the 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S I just mentioned in the previous post. It has a payload of 1,047 pounds/max 51 psi. My guess is most 175/65r14 tires will be the same.
    Let's never forget the Mirage GVWR is a shade above 3000lbs. or roughly 775 lb./wheel. Does it really matter the ultimate load capacity of aftermarket tires once the max. threshold is reached?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)